building a computer

Anything else
Freshbite

Re: building a computer

Post by Freshbite » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:59 pm

No, Zoidberg, you don't understand, and I'm purposely leaving this on a new page to express it further.

Nothing made by Apple, that is, any Apple product, is "decently priced".
It is all price controlled, low-quality junk that only sells because they've made a name for themselves. They have no external support or compatibility, that is, iPods don't work with any software but iTunes; iTunes doesn't work with phones or MP3 players Apple doesn't make, and so on.

Article. Here: [link]
Read it.

zoidberg rules wrote:I'll hook it up when I can be bothered and put the specs on here if there's anyone who's interested.
If you need some specifications to go by, here's my "rig":

[attachment=0]Computer Specifications.txt[/attachment]
Attachments
Computer Specifications.txt
(888 Bytes) Downloaded 219 times

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Wait, "Fanboys"... Perhaps you didn't understand, I'm not a fanboy. I know the company are a bunch of nazis who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, I just like the tech that they make, even then I only like the iPod and iPhone, the iPad is overpriced for what it is and every other product they make is just plain shit. I would always choose PC over mac on the desktop and laptop front and the only reason I bought an iPod is because they've pretty much driven everyone else out of business or just plain outdone them on the mp3 player front. Pretty much the same thing with the smartphone front what with them suing three of the major companies in the market today.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:56 pm

I didn't purposely brand you as a fanboy, that was not my intention at all. I just made it clear that NONE of the Apple products counts as "decently priced". Image

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Ahhh I see. Apologies.Image

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 pm

zoidberg rules wrote:Quick question, I know next to nothing about computers and how to build them but I was thinking about learning at some point soon and building myself a decent PC. What does the motherboard actually affect when building a PC? And what would class a motherboard as "good"? I was always under the impression that the performance of a PC was only affected by the more major components (CPU, GPU and RAM)
A good motherboard depends on what you're planning on putting in it, what you're putting the board in, and what you want to use it for. Vague I know. If you're building something for gaming a good motherboard will have at least a modern socket (1155, AM3, etc), a PCIe 2 or 3 x16 slot, and a modern chipset (like p67 or z68 in intels case). Modern socket = modern processor, PCIe 2 x16 = higher end graphics card, modern chipset supports better bus speeds, USB 3.0, and so on.

Think of it this way, the motherboard is the center for all of the components, it's a way for them to communicate. If it communicates slowly or doesn't do it properly, you're going to have decreased performance. Though to be fair, the thing that usually is bottlenecking computers is the hard drive, as they have moving parts. Very few people exclusively use solid state drives.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:37 am

I see, thank you good sir, I should be hooking the computer up within the next few days, don't expect anything good from it, I'm not.