Random Ultimatum Flamewar VII: The Reignition

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:51 pm

I think Silb was saying they wouldn't be curses if they weren't words taken from taboo subjects.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 pm

And my point is still that, by that logic, any other word taken from a taboo subject should be considered just as much a "curse". The fact that that isn't the case is an example of the arbitrary nature of curse words.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Here's a detailed schematic of what I think of your logic.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Whoops. Wrong thread. Logic isn't allowed here, I forgot.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:46 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Ultimatum479 wrote:And my point is still that, by that logic, any other word taken from a taboo subject should be considered just as much a "curse". The fact that that isn't the case is an example of the arbitrary nature of curse words.
That logic is kinda flawed...I really can't be funked explaining why.. =/

I suppose you have a point in an odd way because I don't like there being taboos placed on words I use, because I don't see them as taboo, but I can still understand why people have them there.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 pm

N0 L0GIC 4110W3D IN 7HI5 7HR34D

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Ultimatum479 wrote:This taboo against "cursing" is completely arbitrary and, frankly, stupid.

So-called "swear" words are merely stronger vocabulary used to emphasize one's feelings on a subject. Using a curse when one doesn't truly feel that strongly is just like saying "hate" when one means "dislike", etc. It isn't, and shouldn't be, offensive to anyone, but it does make their words have much less meaning. Holding stronger vocabulary, "curse words" included, in reserve for when one actually _means_ to say that they "fucking hate" something instead of "slightly disliking" it allows everyone to be much more clear on the extent of one's feelings. _That's_ the only logical reason that excessive swearing would be counterproductive, not "It's a bad thing to say, especially around little kids!"
Frankly, I agree with you. And of course good old history of fuck.

Unfortunately the rest of the world disagrees. They're just words, it's not like stabbing someone's grandmother in the eye!

However, since I don't "Fucking hate" anyone, I think I'd prefer to censor or farkify my curse words most of the time. Not to mention it is indeed the forum administrators who choose the rules.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:33 pm

Gentlemen, gentlemen, whatever your views on swearing may be, it is expressly against the rules to use curse words here, goddammit; so f*$#& show a little decorum you $^-backwards *%ù£##*.

BwS, not minding swearing is a perfectly legitimate position.

What is not legitimate is the opinion that people who dislike curse words are stupid, and that rules against them are arbitrary. Not everybody is like you, or shares the same sensibilities. That's called living in society.

A concept foreign to some, of course, who would be better off hunting the wild mammoth, probably with thumbtacks.
sorry Ultimatum as the only person to have contradicted me so far you're on my line of fire for this thread's purpose

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:07 pm

I lol'd at that.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Why the hell do I read forums?

Don't we all have things to acheive with our lives? Goddamnit.

If my GF and I weren't having trouble right now (which I still think we can solve with some silk rope or cuffs) I'd just wonder upstairs.

There is little more depressing than seeing potentially intelligent people waste that effort on vile garbage in a vane attempt at comedy.

At least for 14 pages. C'mon, thats just blatently rediculous.

The best thing thats been posted on this forum in the last 3 months is the news that David added another graphical effect to a game we *know* is going to look great already.

Alarm bells should be ringing.

Nevermind. I'm just a jobless yob - what the hell do I know anyway?

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:55 pm

That may be the most Intelligent way of putting things My friend...
Im leaving this thread...
*closes window*

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:58 pm

*hug*
It's light-hearted.

Excess of fake insults may be vain, but a little can be cathartic.

Also keep in mind that half the cast is 12-year old. The age of ceaseless chirruping chit-chat in all directions.

I tend to post here for a break when I have some long work to do on a computer. I find it soothing, in moderation... and if you need further soothing - here. :)

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:37 pm

what? its over? but i just got back! wahhhh