randomness

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: randomness

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:58 pm

"Alright assholes - I never learned to read or write, and it isn't my fault. Nevermind the fact that I'm obviously lying because how would I be leaving a comment here if I was unable to read or write.

That said, if Americans are idiots for preferring to watch a movie in English rather than read subtitles, can't the same be said of any country (Germany springs to mind) that typically uses voice-overs instead of subtitles for american films?

I'm pretty sure that although it is pointless to use this forum to whine about a movie's lack of spoken English, people should be encouraged to like or dislike any movie they want, for whatever reasons they want. It's no reason to condemn them, their culture, or their nationality...

And actually, it's true that I can't read or write, and if you make fun of me for my disability, then you're a douche. Just kidding it's not true, but you're still a douche."

~ Some guy in the comments section for a dubbed version of 13 Assassins on The Pirate Bay.

Quite genuinely one of the wittiest and most insightful things I've read in a comments section on the internet.

Still, any film using dubbing rather than subtitles annoys me. If I spoke German I imagine it would annoy me to watch an American film with German dubbing too. It works all ways. Subtitles are always better!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:06 pm

HAH :lol: That is awesome. I agree though, dubbed versions suck. Especially of asian movies, it just doesn't fit.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:26 pm

I use subtitles with English movies, so I much prefer subtitles. I often forget I'm watching a foreign movie if there are subtitles. Dubbing sounds awkward and often looks awkward too. It also removes a cultural element that can help make the movie unique to a foreigner.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 am

Utada Hikaru is awesome. I never got to play Kingdom Hearts 2, though. :[

Here, the better version:

The ridiculous passion she puts into the elongated note at 2:23 to the point that her voice quavers to the point of a snapping finish gives me shivers. Her voice is perfect because it's imperfect. She's brilliant technically but she's such raw talent. You can see it in the fact that she doesn't have perfect control of her breathing during singing like a lot of other singers of that standard would've been trained to have. I like it about her.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:03 am

Kingom Hearts 2 was absolutely amazing, and Sanctuary was a fantastic song. Never got to finish the game in the end though which sort of sucked. Also, I personally prefer the Japanese version of that song. "Passion" would embed it but I'm in a hurry at the moment. Probably will when I get back.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:02 pm

I could never get into Kingdom Hearts, but then I only (tried) to play the DS and the PSP games. The whole Disney x J-RPG setting was pretty cool, but I couldn't get into the gameplay and how flat it felt. It seems like they're just running the series dry instead of making a third game that continues the storyline like the fans seem to want. I do however, enjoy the music.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:42 pm

We don't talk about the portable installments where I come from. We just pretend that the devs have been sitting in a corner twiddling their thumbs for the past 5 years.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Yeah, I played one of the handheld adaptations of the game a few years ago and vomited a little bit in my mouth.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Oh yeah!

Remember back when I reviewed Gods Eater Burst?
http://flavorgrenade.wordpress.com/2011 ... ter-burst/

Well, they're making a sequel! Hell yes.
http://www.godeater.jp/

They're developing it for PSP, I was hoping PSVita so that it would have a better chance of being brought stateside, but hopefully D3 Publishers will pick it up anyway.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Here's some awesome clips regarding Bioshock: Infinite.
Courtnee seems to be incredibly dedicated with her roll as Elizabeth.

That part after 2:30 in the second part... it makes my fucking dick squirm.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 am

Okay...the bit around 2:30 gave me chills of remorse down my spine...

But dude, Ken Levine looks like David Duchovny...freeze frame at 0:18 in the second video and then...behold:

Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:02 am

It seems inhumane. But then, there are many more inhumane things we ignore, just add this to the list.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:46 pm

As promised.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Bioshock Infinite videos on previous page.

Same clip, different context. (Skip to 26:30 for the relevant part. Or I suppose you could watch the whole thing if you're interested and have 45 minutes to spare.)

I found it interesting. I did not know that voice actors worked like that.