Games that just aren't here

Anything else
BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:47 am

Szs315 wrote:Also, If pc's have different architecture than mac, than how can mac run windows if windows can't run mac?
Intel based macs can run windows because they have the same architecture, standard issue PPC macs can't because they don't.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:48 am

After some research, I found that I am partially false.

Newer versions of OSX will run on PCs; but you need to do some fairly complicated hacking and use non-completed beta versions. You also need at least SSE2 or SSE3 processor technology to be able to run certain PowerPC programs. Windows has no such complicated issues running on a Mac

In conclusion, you are wrong. Good day, sir.

Also, I do play many non-independent games. I own a Wii, and I follow gaming news quite closely. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect and Spore on PC, mainly.

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:49 am

Has anyone tried determinance yet?

Download demo and get more info here:
http://Mode7games.com

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:51 am

Seriously, Windows sucks. I'm so sad.. But it's true. (c) Metallica

But it's okay, go ahead and be a fanboi of an operating system that's a product of thievery. I just know better. Must be the fact that I'm a computer expert. Like, you know, fully educated and stuff.

What games I play? Whatever I can get my hands on. I play about every demo I can get a hold of, rent video games, and some I even buy. It's fun. A list would be pretty long though. I'm playing games from 1985 to today, that should be more than you can swallow.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:51 am

I've tried Determinance, and I liked it. It's pretty obvious that the developers had no idea what they were doing, but they managed to make a pretty simple, fun game. The lack of shaders hurts, though. The graphics look like a ghetto 1995 game out of Russia.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:57 am

I think Determinance is a bad game. They should have made a decent game instead. The devs just wanted to do what they like, and that's okay, but it's not a product I consider being fun to play. It's just button mashing with a mouse, there's no immersion at all, blah. A neat tech demo, nothing more. Boring after 5 seconds. The GUI looks neat though. Yay!

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:03 am

I have a desktop Intel iMac that I have Windows installed on so I can see the flaws in both OS's from my point of veiw. Here is my qualms about Windows XP:
It doesn't have a built in Firewall, like Mac. While you can greatly reduce the chance of getting a virus on your PC it doesn't completely elimanate it, unlike Macs.
It is harder to install something from a disk. Mac you just pop disk in, icon appears on desktop, double click to open, run installer. Windows you pop disk in, wait for it to load, go into Start menu, select 'Run', find disk on your computer, select installer then hit 'Proceed' or whatever.

What is annoying to me though is that the Mac is a really good system to run games under, but it was pushed out of the industry.

Oh, side note: I haven't had many problems with Windows running on my Mac but at school whenever someone trys to use one of the laptops with the projecter for like a power-point or what have you, something goes wrong.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:11 am

Kalexon wrote: It doesn't have a built in Firewall, like Mac. While you can greatly reduce the chance of getting a virus on your PC it doesn't completely elimanate it, unlike Macs.
Since Service Pack 2, it does.
It is harder to install something from a disk. Mac you just pop disk in, icon appears on desktop, double click to open, run installer. Windows you pop disk in, wait for it to load, go into Start menu, select 'Run', find disk on your computer, select installer then hit 'Proceed' or whatever.
You just have to activate Autorun. Or go into the Explorer, make a rightclick on your CD drive symbol and select 'Autorun'.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:54 am

Szs315 wrote:First of all, that was my opinion. Second of all, how can you say that? How am I making false assertations? Are you sure that you're not the one who doesn't understand these things. All i'm saying is that windows is generally a more powerful system, it is easier to learn for begginers, it is developed for much more than a mac, and sells much better. Those are facts. And if you want to say i'm an idiot, that is a cross between what I said earlier about only saying that because you prefer mac, and because you think that just because you are one of the "wolfire" people that i will be scared to reply. Jeff, you've removed all doubt from my mind that you take everyone else's ideas and opinions for granted and that you can only see things from your perspective. Instead of saying how much windows stinks, why not just state why you think the mac is better. No, you sir are the one that lacks the understanding of common sense. And why do you care that I prefer windows? Seems we've run into the truth, hasn't it?

Also, I'm not going to keep posting and arguing with you because I know that since most of your are mac users you will all agree with Jeff and despise me. Do you think I care?
Alright, let's break it down. I can't believe I am wasting my time on this.

First of all, if you read my post you would know that I have a PC desktop and a Mac laptop. David and I are one of the few people here who don't seem to be firmly rooted in one camp or the other. I like both Macs and PCs. Given my knowledge of both (which actually exists), I like to call the zealots out who seem to wage a holy war against the enemy while not actually knowing anything about their object of hatred. If you read past platform war threads, you can see me chastise a lot of Mac people.

I said that you don't know anything about economics because you assume that because something sells more copies than something else, it is therefore better. According to your novel economic theory, a Honda Civic is a better car than a Porsche because the Honda sells better. I hope you can see why that argument is not logically sound.

I said you don't know anything about technology because of your patently false statements. Here are some corrections for you regarding pretty much every point in your anti-mac tirade:
  • 1. Macs can run Vista fine. My MSDN copy worked fine with Apple's Bootcamp.
    2. Windows XP does not have any problems running on Mac hardware. Apple has long since provided Windows drivers for all of its proprietary components.
    3. PCs can not run Mac OS X better than a Mac can. That is a ridiculous statement, given that Mac OS X is built specifically for a small, proprietary set of hardware. While many PCs, can in fact run it, it is not easy and is not legal and certainly is not as good as running it on the hardware it was designed for.
    4. Macs are not "less powerful". I don't even really know what you mean by this. But however you mean it, it's not true.
    5. Macs have no problems running Microsoft software.
    6. While this is subjective, Macs are specifically designed to be easy to use, so your statement that Mac OS X is "much more complex" than Windows is pretty ridiculous
I hope that clears things up.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:25 am

I'm ok with macs, I just hate mac users who treat Windows like garbage. Back to topic, http://www.bontago.com/ It sounds confusing but when you play it it's alot of fun.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:59 pm

1. Find an outdoor grill of some kind.
2. Turn it on full power.
3. Wait for it to heat up.
4. Slam your face repeatedly into the hot grill.

Congratulations, you've just sucessfully made a better use of your time than arguing on the internet about operating systems.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:34 pm

Nah, that's more like the equivalent of argueing OS's

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Jeff is right, he rules.
Last edited by Szs315 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:39 pm

Also, any non-shareware games that are unique?
Last edited by Szs315 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:57 pm

I can't wait for starcraft 2. Starcraft is pretty much my favorite game ever.

P.S. I wish I was a admin so I could ban szs315 for being an idiot.