Member photos

Anything else
Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Although you're generally quite the clever guy, I'm slightly baffled by your comparison between "grey eyes" and "physical shortness". Surely the social stigma that goes with people being short and all of the implications that go with that are a lot more damaging to self esteem than having grey eyes? I don't know what point you were trying to make. Also, having grey eyes is a rather factual thing, whereas whether or not a certain person is short or not is a moot point, unless you're going by the worldwide average height, which is constantly varying, as is the nature of living things.

A person's height, no matter how much you think it should or should not matter, DOES matter. For instance, particularly tall girls generally (as in not all of them) find it difficult to date guys who are smaller than them, as people see it as unfeminine. The same goes with the ego of a guy who's dating a girl who's a deal taller than him.

Compare that to having grey eyes or not having grey eyes...it's not really a dealbreaker or dealmaker for anyone I know of...
But that's just it. I've never encountered a social stigma against people of short physical stature. Fat people? All the time. Ugly people? Sure. But never the shorties.

Admittedly, I'm sorta tall, so I guess that's easy for me to say, but I've never heard a short person complaining about their height. Nor have I seen a short person copping shit for it, or heard people refer to a short person's stature in a derogatory manner.

Hence the eye colour comparison. That is to say, random physical attribute of no immediate importance, or so I thought.

Well, I guess you learn something new every day. Now, I need to go and taunt a short person, apparently I have a lot of catching up to do.

Assaultman67

Re: Member photos

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:40 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:... Although you're generally quite the clever guy, I'm slightly baffled by your comparison between "grey eyes" and "physical shortness". Surely the social stigma that goes with people being short and all of the implications that go with that are a lot more damaging to self esteem than having grey eyes? I don't know what point you were trying to make. Also, having grey eyes is a rather factual thing, whereas whether or not a certain person is short or not is a moot point, unless you're going by the worldwide average height, which is constantly varying, as is the nature of living things.

A person's height, no matter how much you think it should or should not matter, DOES matter. For instance, particularly tall girls generally (as in not all of them) find it difficult to date guys who are smaller than them, as people see it as unfeminine. The same goes with the ego of a guy who's dating a girl who's a deal taller than him.
I gotta agree with ren on this one. It kinda surprised me that you didn't realize it.

Totally reminds me of Lovely Complex
Renegade_Turner wrote:
adwuga wrote:Cuz ur ugly
To be honest, and apologies if people don't want me speaking for them, I think I speak for the vast majority of the forum when I suggest you go find a different playground to kick dirt around in.
I kinda feel the same way, although I really would hate to admit it because I don't like making people feel not welcome in any community.

adwuga, you just need to chill out on the randomness. You tend to insult people, say incoherent things, and post somewhat off-putting things (such as a furry action avatar)

Some randomness can be fun for a while, but too much randomness just gets tiresome. Add insults and people will definitely get upset with you.

If you just chill out and contribute to the conversation occasionally rather than try to say the most random thing that can come to your head you will be more liked.

I find that using your anonymity to being more open about your opinions on subjects and expressing your feeling in a coherent way is a lot more rewarding than giving into the temptation of being an Internet Fuckwad.

If Renegade_Turner can change from a super troll to a regular user, you can too.
Renegade_Turner wrote:... To be honest, that's completely subjective. One person will find you attractive while another won't. But you probably already know this.

Having said that, no matter how much of a troll I ever was, I've never liked the coldness of the internet when it comes to people posting pictures of themselves, especially when people are actually brave enough to post pictures of their actual selves. When I see anyone who derives enjoyment out of belittling someone for something they're powerless to change in any immediate way, I see that person as part of an unfortunate facet of the human race. It's the same kind of mentality that causes people, to some degree, to seek reconstructive surgery so they can somehow feel like they're more acceptable.
There is variance in beauty from person to person. Although I think beauty is actually pretty standardized across a specific culture. Most importantly, beauty is generally determined by geometric relations and symmetry between eye, nose, ears, mouth, etc as well as overall body type.

As for the people who post their pictures ... I definitely respect them. I'm obviously insecure about my appearance to others online. Which is odd, because I will often go to class in sweat pants and a hoodie so I can sleep somewhere on campus between classes (usually in the mech student lounge) I guess the difference is that people don't walk up to you in public and say "you look like shit" :P

I've only shown pictures of me twice to people online. The first time I was fairly young and naive to the ways of the internet and was brutally harassed for how I was dressed (I was in football pajamas bottoms). The second time was to a girl I hit it off with.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 am

Zhukov wrote:But that's just it. I've never encountered a social stigma against people of short physical stature. Fat people? All the time. Ugly people? Sure. But never the shorties.

Admittedly, I'm sorta tall, so I guess that's easy for me to say, but I've never heard a short person complaining about their height. Nor have I seen a short person copping shit for it, or heard people refer to a short person's stature in a derogatory manner.

Hence the eye colour comparison. That is to say, random physical attribute of no immediate importance, or so I thought.

Well, I guess you learn something new every day. Now, I need to go and taunt a short person, apparently I have a lot of catching up to do.
That puzzles me. Human nature is generally the same everywhere, and height is a well-known point of insult for people. I can't imagine it's much different where you're from. Maybe you just haven't been talking to enough of the right people.

Rather than me trying to persuade you, let me instead reference popular culture.

Assaultman67 wrote:There is variance in beauty from person to person. Although I think beauty is actually pretty standardized across a specific culture. Most importantly, beauty is generally determined by geometric relations and symmetry between eye, nose, ears, mouth, etc as well as overall body type.
Well yeah, but everyone has different prerequisites. You just gotta look for the crazy ones. The ones whose eyes are pointing in different directions. They're into some freaky shit.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:04 am

adwuga wrote:I thought the fact that Jack said "but it's kind of the only reason anyone ever takes a picture of me" and my horrible spelling would be enough for people to know I'm kidding
Never assume anything. Its hard to get emotion and meaning across in text.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:44 am

Height is a gender role thing.

Tall height is associated to being more masculine where as short height is considered more feminine. Hence guys tend to be insecure about being short and girls tend to be insecure about being really tall.

I actually knew a guy who was kinda short in high school. He basically got ripped as fuck and picked a lot of fights with people because he was probably insecure about his height and was trying to compensate. He was actually a fairly nice guy, but whenever he got the impression someone was "looking down" on him he would basically act over aggressive as a response.

If you think it doesn't matter, try dating a girl taller than you. Kissing alone is awkward.
Renegade_Turner wrote:... Well yeah, but everyone has different prerequisites. You just gotta look for the crazy ones. The ones whose eyes are pointing in different directions. They're into some freaky shit.
By that logic this guy is some kind of sex god:

(What's even weirder is that this is the second time I've heard this today :o )

Edit: In regards to "freaky shit" ... Why is it that everyone claims to wants to do freaky shit but you rarely hear freaky sex stories? I heard a theory that states that humans are creatures that depend on physical contact to make each other feel, well, loved. (release of Oxytocin in the body) Since society represses this trait, we are all somewhat emotionally damaged which makes it harder for us to establish intimate relationships (hence, less communication about wanting to do "freaky stuff")
Last edited by Assaultman67 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:52 am

Assaultman67 wrote:By that logic this guy is some kind of sex god:
Oh yeah. The things that guy can do with his tongue.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:04 am

Grayswandir wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote:By that logic this guy is some kind of sex god:
Oh yeah. The things that guy can do with his tongue.
Maybe he has a future in operating a coin operated glory hole (or glory stick? :lol: )

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 am

Assaultman67 wrote:I actually knew a guy who was kinda short in high school. He basically got ripped as fuck and picked a lot of fights with people because he was probably insecure about his height and was trying to compensate. He was actually a fairly nice guy, but whenever he got the impression someone was "looking down" on him he would basically act over aggressive as a response.
Exactly. Otherwise, why would something such as the Napoleon Complex exist? I don't know why I didn't mention this last night.
Assaultman67 wrote:Edit: In regards to "freaky shit" ... Why is it that everyone claims to wants to do freaky shit but you rarely hear freaky sex stories? I heard a theory that states that humans are creatures that depend on physical contact to make each other feel, well, loved. (release of Oxytocin in the body) Since society represses this trait, we are all somewhat emotionally damaged which makes it harder for us to establish intimate relationships (hence, less communication about wanting to do "freaky stuff")
Well, why would people tell you about the freaky shit? There's a lot of strange things people are into, especially when it comes to sex. My friend was telling me of one time when he heard a foot fetish described as "Just think of it as ten tiny little penises." That's all the evidence I need to know this shit exists. Also, I don't really hear many people claiming to want to do freaky shit in every day life...but I've talked to people who admitted to being into things like choking and hairpulling and so on. It spices things up for some people.

I know what you mean about society repressing human contact. It's seen as only something that's meant to be done in passing, like a polite hug when you bump into someone you haven't come across in a while. I find it a relief when I find friends who aren't insecure about giving a hug. I came home to find a friend of mine in a bit of an emotionally vulnerable state last night. All people need sometimes is a hug to make them feel like someone else gives a shit. And I hate the awkwardness of people towards each other...although it does become strange when someone's too huggy too soon. :?

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:32 am

"Just think of it as ten tiny little penises."
:cry:

i know i am a bit late jumping into this conversation right now, so i'm not gonna bother putting in a lengthy post regarding freaky sex.......... but i will say it's quite rad.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:... And I hate the awkwardness of people towards each other...although it does become strange when someone's too huggy too soon. :?
Argh, I hate it when that happens ... It totally throws me off my game.

Two times come to mind.

The first is when I met some girl in the dorm hallway who was talking about sex with some guys. She managed to accidently say something like "Yea, I'm a total nymphomaniac". Then there was this awkward silence and I felt that someone needed to break the silence so it wasn't so embarrassing so I cracked a joke along the lines of "Well, you just give me a call if you ever need help with that!". Everyone laughed, crisis avoided. The next day I had my dorm room door open and was surfing the internet. She walked in and hugged me from behind while I had my headphones on. I instantly thought I was being attacked as well as Instantly making the relationship between me and her from friends to "awkwardly not knowing what to do about this"

The second time was pretty similar except I didn't make any sexual remarks and I hadn't seen the girl in two years. Honestly I didn't even consider her a "friend" ... more of an acquaintance that I studied with on occasion. She surprise hugged me when I was studying in the library. Again, I initially thought I was being attacked.

TL;DR: Hugs turn me from socially active/comfortable into an tensely awkward fucktard.

Edit: actually touching in general will turn me from socially active/comfortable into a tensely awkward fucktard. :?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Well I was talking about hugs from people I've just gotten to know that are male. I'm fine with hugging girls. Then I can smell their hair and take them out into a nice paddock to violently murder them. I'm smiling because they still haven't found the bodies.

No, all joking aside, I'm generally the same with hugging people I've just gotten to know, regardless of gender. Unless it's a girl who's pretty cute. Those chances don't come often.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:16 pm

It just happens so rarely that it never ceases to throw me off my social stride when it does happen.

I have yet to meet a guy that hugs though. I doubt I would react well to it.

Shit, hugging my dad would be awkward. :?

and it normally takes a lot to throw me off my social stride when im doing it. Just yesterday I had a kid who I didn't know, call me out by name, call me over and have me look at a video he was watching. He even knew where I was from ... didn't even phase me.

As for "social stride" I kinda consider being social a skill, so I've been practicing a lot in the past few years to get better at it. Things like displaying confidence, being charming, learning to chime in with jokes, etc. I used to be really quiet and a mix between grumpy and lethargic in high school. Now I can at least have a friendly chat with people.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:42 pm

I hate hugging people, they always feel so fragile, I feel like I'm going to break them, especially girls. It's the same thing with pets, I feel like I'm going to crush them whenever people expect me to pet them.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Are you like, 6'10" and constructed of pure muscle?

I usually feel comfortable hugging with pretty much everyone, including girls a lot smaller than me, despite being pretty big.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm just gonna jump in here for a minute to say I knew Adwuga was kidding and I think my all-caps intentionally misspelled reply was indicative of that, but yes, Adwuga you have become annoying for some reason. Secondly, I'm gonna slowly back away...