My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 pm

I shit you not, this is a legitimately good cartoon with a cult following (with the average age demographic being something like people between 15-35, surprisingly) and it's enjoyable to watch despite the seemingly girlish premise.

Actually, scratch that last. Girlish? Ponies are pretty damn manly.

Pros
  • Pretty good animation. Made entirely in Flash, so it's crisp and clean with bright colors and smooth movement.
  • Has a nostalgic air about it which makes it fun to watch regardless of age.
  • Though it is a kids' cartoon with 'life lessons', it remains watchable well into adulthood like cartoons such as Spongebob and Courage the Cowardly Dog.
  • PONIES.
Cons
  • You haven't watched any episodes yet.

Part 1 of the pilot. The other episodes are a bit different from the pilot, as it mainly serves to introduce the main characters and whatnot (ie plot progression) but it's still definitely worth watching. That channel has all of the episodes, and at the end of every video, it'll automatically have the link for the next episode up in a little box, allowing for seamless viewing.

In all seriousness, give it a chance. For some people, it just isn't their cup of tea, and that's cool, but don't immediately dismiss it on the premise of "oh it's My Little Pony ergo it sucks hurdur".
Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshbite

Re: My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic

Post by Freshbite » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 pm

I think that if I started watching this series, my beard would slowly start to retract back in to its roots, and I can't let that happen.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 pm

It is a bit nostalgic ... I think it just has that old disney movie flair to it with the music :?

I only watched 7 or so minutes though ...

Disco Science

Post by Disco Science » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Freshbite wrote:I think that if I started watching this series, my beard would slowly start to retract back in to its roots, and I can't let that happen.
Seconded, with the addition of the same thing happening to my man-tackle. :cry:

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:39 pm

Why am I the only guy here secure enough with my masculinity to watch My Little Pony stuff?

Its not like you are being asked to lick the whipped cream off of a man's ...

Anyways, just man the fuck up :P ...

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:36 am

Ragdollmaster, did you learn about this show through that Skyrim trailer adaption?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:08 am

Assaultman67 wrote:Why am I the only guy here secure enough with my masculinity to watch My Little Pony stuff?
I don't know. I usually don't have a problem with watching cartoons, not even shows for kids. It's just that My Little Pony is too, damn, ludicrous.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 am

I've been watching some of the episodes. As I had heard, it's surprisingly well done. Some of the people behind this show worked on Powerpuff Girls previously. Why should you watch it? How could you not want to know more about this:

I haven't seen that particular episode yet, so I have no idea about what's going on. However, Pinkie Pie (the pink one) usually talks, and that's not how Fluttershy usually sounds.

Disco Science

Post by Disco Science » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 am

Assaultman67 wrote:Why am I the only guy here secure enough with my masculinity to watch My Little Pony stuff?
I'm secure enough with my masculinity to admit to how little I have as it is. :lol:

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Zhukov wrote:Ragdollmaster, did you learn about this show through that Skyrim trailer adaption?
Yes and no. I got sent the Skyrim trailer adaption on another forum by the admin, who's a big fan of MLP and TES herself, so she was squealing with joy when she showed me it. I thought the adaption was nice but then she convinced me to watch a few episodes of the actual animation, and I got hooked pretty fast :P

Also, this. Twilight is voiced by the same actor as someone from Drawn Together, hence the voice clips.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Heh:

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/100988

Also ragdoll, do you watch anime? If you don't ... don't start ... its 100 times more oddly enticing than this ...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:45 am

Assaultman67 wrote: Also ragdoll, do you watch anime? If you don't ... don't start ... its 100 times more oddly enticing than this ...
Depends. Much of anime is less enticing than MLP because it's crap. Anime exists in so many subgenres any well-done anime might not be what a given person likes. As for "oddly" enticing... you don't find it odd that 20+ males find pink ponies enticing? Ponies. That's a very odd premise for a series, no?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 am

OK ONLY TWO OF THEM ARE PINK THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I used to watch a bit of anime when I was younger. Mainly the mainstream stuff you could find on Cartoon Network and whatnot- DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, and so on. Kind of grew out of it, though.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:28 am

Ragdollmaster wrote: Kind of grew out of it, though.
Yea, watch "black lagoon" and then say "grew out of" :P :lol:

there is alot of anime out there that simply shouldn't be viewed by children, either due to violence or nudity or both. "Get bored of" I can understand, but "grew out of" isn't the appropriate words

The mentioned black lagoon because the english dub is pretty good which makes it a good intro anime:

Also, im not sure if the second season is dubbed, but these little fuckers will haunt your dreams:

Endoperez wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote: ... you don't find it odd that 20+ males find pink ponies enticing? Ponies. That's a very odd premise for a series, no?
You don't find it odd that 20+ males openly admit that they cried after watching some dramatic anime? :lol:

Anywho, I find the My Little Pony cartoon somewhat reminiscent of something ... Is it Disney movies or old cartoons, I dunno. But It's just not that enticing to me.

Maybe I just need to watch more to get it ... anime wasn't too enticing to me when I first started.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:02 am

Freshbite wrote:I think that if I started watching this series, my beard would slowly start to retract back in to its roots, and I can't let that happen.
Could you suggest something to watch, that makes your beard flee out of the roots, so I could actually start getting some?