The end of Microsoft is near!

Anything else
toshiro

Post by toshiro » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:53 am

IMG's Tuncer Deniz on the subject:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/ ... php?ID=104

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with him.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:47 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:
Jeff wrote:BTW, I predicted this almost 6 years ago (as David can attest to).
We all did...
Jeff wrote: Why would people wait 6 months to a year for a crappy, more expensive port of a Windows game when they can just buy the native Windows version immediately and not have to deal with any of the consequences of a port?
There are some people, out there in the world, who used windows for 12 years and are sick of using the OS. So when those people use the mac os they also want to play games outside of the window's os itself. Others just want to play a damn game on the mac os.
Everyone predicted that Apple was going to switch to Intel and allow Windows booting? I don't think so... I recall rampant denials of the possibility every time someone brought it up. Remember Dvorak's articles?

Also, I don't think that people really care about their operating system when they are running a game or other application. If you played Lugaru on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux, there is absolutely no way to tell the difference. The game is all you see.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:27 pm

Ya, why would hating the interface cause you to not want to play the game?

Oh and how do you play through first person shooters on macs? There's no right click I mean, what the hell?

And since there's no right click, how do you even play PC games? Do you have to like switch out you mouse and keyboard every time you want to play a game? That would kind of suck, though it's still worth it I guess.

What would happen if pc's could play mac games? That would hella rule, probably for everyone too. More people would have access to those developers, giving them a higher market for their games. I don't think there would be any drawbacks for apple, other then they might get pissed that windows users would be happy.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:58 pm

Personally I have never used a one button mouse on my mac, except when I am using the track-pad. Macs are fully compatable with 2 button mice, actually right clicking does things in most instances, but the mice that come with are one button.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Zantalos wrote:Ya, why would hating the interface cause you to not want to play the game?

Oh and how do you play through first person shooters on macs? There's no right click I mean, what the hell?

And since there's no right click, how do you even play PC games? Do you have to like switch out you mouse and keyboard every time you want to play a game? That would kind of suck, though it's still worth it I guess.
Buy a 3 button mouse. That's what most mac gamers do when they play FPS's.

theblob

Post by theblob » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:09 pm

Now most macs come with a Mighty Mouse so there is right click and scroll wheel

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:18 am

Scroll button, and it goes horizontal too :D

Ahh, the mighty mouse

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36 am

Oh well then I was wrong. But jeeze I really thought macs were only one button compatible (freaken school macs where you always have to use the command key with your little one button mouse). And the scroll wheel? then what do PCs have that macs don't? (I guess it's just games and cheap hardware)
And what is the beef with people not liking the operating system setup? They're both pretty much the same, I mean I don't get mad at the mac's bluescreen and little menu at the top of the screen and why would people not like windows either? (there's probably alot more to this)
Unless it is a huge visual and performing aspect such as when you'd compare the OSs of Macs and Dos' together, do people really get that sick of these kinds of things? (I guess so, I mean, I haven't played macs too much to notice a big difference, but I suppose that people could get roiled up about the two different interfaces)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:40 am

Can we please not discuss something that's bound to lead to a flamewar since I don't like Macs and will be the one who everyone flames?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:04 am

Ok, you don't like macs, I like macs a lot, there, done, period

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:15 am

And there, my friends, was how wars ought to be fought.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:23 pm

Absolutely.

(I just can't get over that comic strip. That alone was worth finding some connection :mrgreen: )

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:31 pm

For the best perspective I've read so far check this out: http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finge ... er=icculus

Ryan Gordon is the guy who ported Lugaru to Linux and is going to be handling Lugaru 2's port to Linux and Mac OS X as well. David and Lugaru are mentioned as well.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:30 pm

i prefer to keep bith companies alive, thenn we'd have to find smeone else to hate. the windows/mac wars are healthy.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:40 pm

Fournine wrote:And there, my friends, was how wars ought to be fought.
And expressing opinions in more intelligent terms as well. Like I did as an example.

rudel_ic wrote:Can we please not discuss something that's bound to lead to a flamewar since I don't like Macs and will be the one who everyone flames?
How about ''lets not discuss information spamming the macintosh's limitations as well as avoid expressing how much you don't like the OS itself''. That's one reason I dislike this forum now at days.