What Games Do You Play Nowadays?

Anything else
Skyrage

Post by Skyrage » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:44 am

I pretty much play older games only. Are hardly any modern games nowadays worth even taking a look at with all their graphical hype and lack of gameplay or intellectual value/entertainment. Only exception was Oblivion, but that turned out to be just a hyped up bigtime disappointment.

Viva la capitalism.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:26 am

You should try the Myst series for intellectual entertainment. They rule.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:05 pm

<veryembarrassingrant>
I DESPISE (Mostly) MMORPGs with no RP (Role Play) in them (WoW sounds like one of those games), Clan Lord is definately something with the RP (Role Play) in it, though most of the time there is still a bit of "y r u <something>?" or similar txt-talk sort of stuff in it, at least there isn't any "im lvl 50 now!", especially since there is no such thing as levels in Clan Lord…

Anyway, stopping ranting on about MMORPGs and how they don't suck especially if they have RP in them, unless this is a thread about what old games are good, try some of ambrosia's stuff, or cube indoor fps engine which has already come up on the forums before, can't think of much more, besides maybe… well, no, I can't think of anything else yet
</veryembarrassingrant>

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:13 pm

I mostly play Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour, Halo: Combat Evolved, Vendetta Online, Fallout 2 and Oni. Oh, and, of course, Lugaru... although not as often anymore.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Yes, LUGARU ROCKS! :D

Now, what am I going to do now dialogues truly work? :wink:

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:56 pm

Well uh... they are Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games so uh... what? Of course they have Role Playing in them. And you can't make people talk like that, just because it requires unatural thinking (except to those who are masters of the D&D world).

The only Role-Playing you'll see is when you play with your enthusiastic freinds or when the community is very small to deal with. I think the best way to chnge this, is to put in some kind of real-time translator for the game. That's right, whenever you type in something silly like 'ne1' it will put down "any one" instead, It'd have to be toggled of course.

I used to play C&C Generals: Zero Hour online, that is until people began to own noobs like crazy, they are just so dman good at that game, it's redicules. And, lot's of people say "N00bs Only" who really aren't and, lot's of people get hella pissed if you aren't really great at the game. But that's just up to the people playing, I wish is was as moddable as StarCraft, it would hella rule.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:09 pm

What I mean is they are role playing games, but most of the time, people aren't really role playing :P

I've never played WoW, but I have a feeling it isn't easy to see role playing in it

And yes, that did turn out to be an embarrasing rant :?

P.S: There are macros in Clan Lord that change y to why and r to are, and such

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Fournine wrote:The new Lugaru campaign was a nice distraction for a couple days.
Hey, what? New Lugaru campaign? When did this happen? Somebody help.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:29 pm

Try looking in the "A New Campaign!" thread :P
You've missed something awesome.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:00 pm

Holy shit, I was away for a while, wasn't I? This campaign is particularly excellent. A part that was really cool was that wolf eating the rabbit. Vicious, man.
Praise be to Silb.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:31 pm

Don't spoil it for me. I haven't played it yet due to various limitations.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Alright, man. I won't say much else.

Darber

Post by Darber » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:43 pm

I mostly play halo and halo2 sometimes I play half-life2 on xbox but i really want to try it on the pc. I'm also starting to play rpg's and I of course play lugaru.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:37 pm

If you really want to play a great RPG that you'll never regret getting, try out Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (if your computer is good enough, or if you committed the sin of buying and Xbox 360 :P).

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Now, the comment about no games these days having any substance was pure foolish. It's obvious that games these days have as much if not more quality than they used to. There were some classics (the early of the Final Fantasy series, Streets Of Rage, Shinobi, Mario, Sonic etc.) I admit some games can get too realistic and hung-up on graphics, but that's only half the story. Games are allowed to be graphically stunning as part of the appeal. Many games have a lot of substance and gameplay, like KOTOR for the XBox/PC. That game was not one of the most graphically stunning games at all for the time it came out, but it had such depth and it was so non-linear. It tore all other games on the XBox to shreds in terms of depth and replayability.

I sift through a lot of my games depending on my mood.

Anyway, on XBox, the games I played were Star Wars : KOTOR 1 and 2 : The Sith Lords. I think they were the two best titles on the XBox, and also two of the best titles ever. After them, I liked Fable for one playthrough, but after that it didn't draw me back to play it a second time. Halo and Halo 2 were also very good games, but were not the godly creations they were supposed to be by many people. Halo 1 was the better of the two, I think. It drew me in more.

On PC, I like Deus Ex and Deus Ex : Invisible War. These two games remind me of the KOTOR games in the way they are role playing games with non-linear plots, and high customisability. They were creations of great substance. It's a pity the creators of the Deus Ex series disbanded and the KOTOR series has been brought to a halt. Far Cry was great. The AI was superb, and the land was amazingly expansive. Settlers 2 was a great title. It was just really addictive strategy madness. Dungeon Keeper 1 was amazing. The atmosphere of that whole game brings me back to my younger days when I was becoming a gamer, and my brother had introduced me to it. Soldier Of Fortune 2 is very fun, particularly multiplayer, limbs flying everywhere.

Some games which can be found at Abandonia for free are Abuse, a crazy action game for the year it was made, very innovative. Prince Of Persia was a classic, I gave it a playthrough the other day for a while. Alien Breed (Can't be found at Abandonia for free download) was amazing. I found a download somewhere (forget where) and I have played it at least 20 times through in the last month (really, it's quite short but sweet). Rick Dangerous was a classic too.

For PSX/PS2, I have many. Area 51, especially multiplayer. It's an FPS done in the traditional FPS fashion (except for the ability to mutate and slash others), but it's the same old trick done very very well. Project : Snowblind is another example of an FPS title done very well. There's a lot to do in that game. It's very easily manipulated. Resident Evil 4 is great. The camera is a severe improvement from the preceding titles in the series. The angles used to just annoy me. The whole game is just addictive and fun. It grips you to a great extent and even though there is still the terrible voice acting (for nostalgia sake), the whole game draws you in until the end. I'm replaying it. Devil May Cry 3 is great. It's very free and easily controlled, so you can hack and slash and pump lead to your heart's content into minions from the other side. The Warriors is a GREAT game, so addictive and just fun to play. There are so many different aspects of the game (even smaller aspects like stealing car radios and robbing stores and lock-picking) that just keep you interested while your playing, not to mention the many ways of incapacitating foes. I think it must be the best film-to-game conversion that I have ever experienced. FF4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 were all enjoyable, the earlier games rating particularly higher than the latter. FF4, FF6 and FF7 were the highlights. I'm replaying FF4, and I just have to comment on how heartbreaking the storyline is. There is such an ammount of lovable characters who knock themselves off for the sake of the greater good. God Of War was fantastic. The amount of different-styled combos and powers in that game was just commendable. The game was also presented extremely well, since you could almost feel like you were in the middle of a great war because of how you could often see 3D-rendered characters battling in the background as you set off to pursue your own great undertakings. Half Life was a great game I had for both PS2 and PC at some point. The game was a classic. The storyline was one of the most gripping I've experienced in an FPS, not to mention how much I liked the gameplay. Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas was a great game, obviously enough. The game was just fun. The story was great (in my opinion, everyone else can screw off) and there was bucketloads of ways to interest yourself. The game covers so many entertaining aspects, such as the many ways of transport and gunfighting, to some of the more, err, unmentionable qualities.

Lugaru of course gets an honourable mention, as being one of the most fun games I've ever played, and one being made by a single developer. This is another game where the atmosphere just gripped me. Killer rabbits, eh? What a fantastic idea for a game, you have to say. David's original campaign was very nice, I thought, especially considering he intended all along to not focus too much on the campaign. The combat system made up for the slighty short campaign in ways I'm unable to describe well enough. Silb's campaign, of course, gets an extra mention for how well done it was for someone with no experience. He got nothing out of it, either, just the thanks and praise which came from the forum members, and also the joy of being able to play such a fantastically-woven campaign for himself.

Also, at the moment, in my head I'm playing Lugaru 2 in one year's time, and I must say it is astounding. Especially with multiplayer, and living vegetation, and World War themes, and exploding sheep, and bazookas, and other absurd suggestions made by the forum members which have been rendered in fine 3D quality by my brain for the foolishly preconceived version of the game I have in my mind.