Movies

Anything else
Jacktheawesome

Re: Movies

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Count Roland wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote:Saw Tintin. The story wasn't anything inspiring; it was basically your average comic book action flick. The animation blew me away though. Sometimes when they would come into shots I would think they were showing live film for a second.
I liked it because of the nostalgia factor mostly, I grew up reading those and I really liked seeing all the characters animated and following the familiar story lines.
Yeah same here. I thought the style was actually pretty faithful to the original style of the comic, which is part of what made it good.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Anyone watching Game of Thrones? I heard it's pretty awesome.

I'm in the middle of reading the 6th book, and the writer is both fantastic at plot and cringeworthy at style. Not Dan Brown cringeworthy, or Robert Ludlum, but awful in his own way.

These guys need partners; they spew forth amazing plot twists, deep background lore, and interesting characters, and someone else writes the story down.

Kinda like Michael Chabon's the Amazing Adventures of Kavellier and Clay where one guy is a fountain of plot ideas and the other one draws the comics... hey, maybe they could partner with Chabon, he can really write....

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm

^ I read up to halfway through A Feast For Crows then stopped. Not sure if I want to get back into it. Everything was exciting and gripping up until that one particular scene in ASoS (you know which one), but everything after that seems so half-hearted from George R.R. Martin. Additionally, after throwing the book against the wall, storming around and yelling obscenities for a half-hour, I kind of lost faith in him ever writing anything nice for us again... :evil:

At this point it feels like nothing good will ever happen. Why bother reading more in that case?

TV series is as incredible as the first GoT book, here's hoping the second season will be excellent as well.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 pm

leDoOd wrote:^ I read up to halfway through A Feast For Crows then stopped. Not sure if I want to get back into it. Everything was exciting and gripping up until that one particular scene in ASoS (you know which one), but everything after that seems so half-hearted from George R.R. Martin. Additionally, after throwing the book against the wall, storming around and yelling obscenities for a half-hour, I kind of lost faith in him ever writing anything nice for us again... :evil:
D'oh! Oh no, I don't remember which part you're talking about-- that's a hell of a reaction :lol:

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP etc., etc

do you mean where someone gets blinded? Or hung? Or something else I've forgotten about?

If so, I'm with you on the WHAT THE FUCK?!!!??!! reaction. He does seem to take a fair bit of satisfaction in killing off main characters, along with all kinds of secondary ones, which is keeping me a tad anxious for the ones I like. If you finish Feast, I bet you'll like one thing that happens with one of the main characters-- it's pretty badass.

... so I guess the story must be pretty compelling for me...
I haven't got far enough into the D with D book to tell you how those come out, but there are some other pretty awesome developments that will keep me reading.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:40 pm

The last movie I watched was tin tin ... It was a bit meh to me.

The plot is ... pretty weak at the beginning. then it all builds up into this big thing.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:01 am

kehaar wrote:do you mean where someone gets blinded? Or hung? Or something else I've forgotten about?
No dude, I meant the one part of the book that everyone agrees is total WTF worthy! SPOILER: I'm talking about Robb and Cate's *final* dinner with the Freys! I simply could not handle it, and it basically ruined the book for me. Is it worth reading the rest of AFfC in your opinion? I've about had it with Cersei's inner-effing-monologue. :cry:

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:01 pm

leDoOd wrote:
No dude, I meant the one part of the book that everyone agrees is total WTF worthy! SPOILER: I'm talking about Robb and Cate's *final* dinner with the Freys! I simply could not handle it, and it basically ruined the book for me. Is it worth reading the rest of AFfC in your opinion? I've about had it with Cersei's inner-effing-monologue. :cry:
Haha, that event does turn into a serious hinge for almost everything that follows, in all kinds of ways. And I agree, she is a real shit, and clearly not fun for him to write: it's a tough trick to write from the point of view of such a shallow, narcissistic, mean person. I started to skim her stuff a bit, although she starts some interesting fires, too...

Yeah, I'd say keep at it. It's a bit of a slog at times, and then something awesome happens that brings it all together. What you'd expect of a plot that enormous and involved, I suppose. It's already 5 huge books, an Martin's current estimate is 7 to tell it all. Epic in the original sense of the word: a story that involves about 2/3 of the world.

I like the world, though. More swords and personalities and weather and random turns of luck than sorcery, like about 90% real world to 10% magic. Fits the kind of games, movies, and comics I like, too.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:The last movie I watched was tin tin ... It was a bit meh to me.

The plot is ... pretty weak at the beginning. then it all builds up into this big thing.
Still wanna see Tintin, my dad bought the cartoon box set a few years ago and we've watched through the entire thing like 4-5 times, absolutely love it, saw the trailers for the film and was really looking forward to it, but never really got round to getting it.

Currently (As I type this) watching Die Hard 3 (With a vengeance I believe) and it's the first time I've seen it for about 5 years, what a great film. :lol:

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 am

Tintin was pretty bad. The 3D was pretty cool though, and I liked the English policemen. They were somewhat amusing.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:34 am

Sandurz!

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I believe you're referring to Thompson and Thomson? Like I said, I love the cartoons. :lol:

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Man screw the cartoons, comic books are where it's at.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 am

I watched The Myth (San Wa) a while ago, a Chinese action/drama starring Jackie Chan. The movie itself is nothing but mediocre, awkward visual effects and half-sloppily scripted. However, it has a lovely set of characters, and combined with the music... woah. It set up for some pretty emotional scenes. When the song I'll post below started playing in the film, it literally brought me to tears.

Fucking beautiful.

[Non-Embedded Video]

Also, just now, I saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, an investigation/mystery film about a mole in the top ranks of the British Intelligence. It was quite interesting, though hard to follow (could just be that I'm tired however) and I even had to read Imdb's Plot Synopsis to fully understand what the hell was going on.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:54 am

I saw "Saving Private Ryan" last night for the first time. Great movie, albeit rather graphic.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:02 pm

That is a damn good film, the only bit I found really graphic was the beginning scene of the Normandy landings, found parts of that quite hard to watch. Overall though, brilliant film, well made and brilliantly acted.