Movies

Anything else
Chalky
Location: The Arctic. Hangin' with Captain Crozier and Silence.

Re: Movies

Post by Chalky » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Count Roland wrote:You haven't seen airplane before? Leslie Nielsen is the most awesome actor ever to have lived. You should also see Spy Hard and Wrongfully accused maybe.
No I have seen it before, just not recently.

Chalky

Post by Chalky » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Watched Stranger Than Fiction the other night. Watch it. So refreshing to watch a comedy/drama film that actually tries something different for once. Finally got to see Will Ferrell in a non-Will-Ferrell film.
Stranger Than Fiction was, surprisingly to me, a good movie, never been a Will Ferrell fan. I watched with some friends and we eat backed zitti and brownies.

Chalky

Lo

Post by Chalky » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Lo is a really awesome movie, one of my favorites.

Plot: So there is a guy named Justin he falls in love with April, a woman he meets at a restaurant. Later she gets kidnapped by a demon and taken down to Hell. Using a book she gave him Justin summons Lo, a demon, he recruits to go get April back.

Now the film was probably filmed on, in the words of one of my favorite YouTubers, Jeremy Jahns, filmed on a budget of about the price of a loaf of Wonderbread. The film has about 3 or 4 different sets and just a few characters, however the effects on some of the demons are pretty good. So don't watch Lo expecting it to look like it has the effects of Avatar or something.

Also the film has one action scene, everything else is talking. So if you need more than just talking and a brief action scene this is not your movie. And the acting is not that great, but I've always liked bad acting.

Netflix says this is a horror movie, however it is of a romantic/comedy.... with demons.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:Its shocking isn't it. I remember watching that and being completely surprised by the fact that it fell into obscurity.
Yeah, someone recently told me to watch it. As recently as a few weeks ago, I'd say. I really wish I could remember who it was, so I could thank them. Was shocked that I'd never heard about it up until then, it was so good! Well, I say "never", but I'd heard the name of the film before, although there was no praise linked to the memory of the title. Odd.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Lo

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Why not just post this in the movie thread?

Especially considering the movie thread is actually alive...it was last posted in five minutes ago.

Chalky

Post by Chalky » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 pm

I love this movie a whole lot and by doing it this way I thought I could tell more people about it.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote:Its shocking isn't it. I remember watching that and being completely surprised by the fact that it fell into obscurity.
Yeah, someone recently told me to watch it. As recently as a few weeks ago, I'd say. I really wish I could remember who it was, so I could thank them. Was shocked that I'd never heard about it up until then, it was so good! Well, I say "never", but I'd heard the name of the film before, although there was no praise linked to the memory of the title. Odd.
I guess when people go to a movie with Will Ferrel in it they expect some level of low brow comedy.

But let's face it, along with Steve Carell he's been typecasted into being the bumbling idiot like character. Which is actually why he decided to quit acting in "The Office".

(even though Steve Carell is a pretty good actor as well which has been demonstrated in movies like "Dan in Real Life")

Im not sure if its healthy to be typecasted into the bumbling idiot character as an actor ... i mean ... just look at what happened to Chris Farely. The guy was always making people laugh but he ended up dying due to and overdose of drugs probably because of depression.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm

As much as I'd hate to say it, I actually have to agree with Renegade. This is just more clutter, as far as anyone is concerned and the movies thread exists so that things like this don't happen. Soooooo...consider yourself merged. :P

EDIT: Ah there we go.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:15 pm

ah well good, somehow I got the impression you hadn't, of course it was rather late for me so I could understand my not thinking clearly.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Blorx wrote:As much as I'd hate to say it, I actually have to agree with Renegade...
What's up with the lingering passive-aggression? It's about time you moved on.

Also, who edited my posts to make my posts right after each other and to make Chalky's thread post preceding my first post? That's confusing.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Blorx wrote:As much as I'd hate to say it, I actually have to agree with Renegade...
What's up with the lingering passive-aggression? It's about time you moved on.

Also, who edited my posts to make my posts right after each other and to make Chalky's thread post preceding my first post? That's confusing.
Eh, you know what...I have no idea why I added that part. EDIT: Force of habit maybe.

And that, my friend, is an unfortunate result of merging two threads that were both active.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 pm

I've liked a quite a few comic actors better in their serious roles than I do for their comedies. Robin Williams and Jim Carrey are very good in their serious stories. I've heard that Zack Galifanakis (?) is pretty good in "It's Kind of a Funny Story", but it's always rented out at the movie store so we haven't seen it yet. :(

In a completely different direction from comedy, I strongly recommend checking out "Winter's Bone".

All it's nominations for Oscars last year are some indicator, especially with the teeny budget it was made on and no big-name actors. The writing, directing, acting --lots of non-actors in it, too--editing, sound, story-- all awesome.

Jennifer Lawrence kicks ass as the main character, and John Hawkes should have absolutely won Best Supporting Actor. He was great in Deadwood, too.

Chalky

Post by Chalky » Fri May 13, 2011 1:52 am

I just recently watched Hotel Rwanda, awesome movie.

It is a movie about Paul Rusesabagina who, during the Rwanda Genocide, sheltered over 1,000 refugees in his hotel. Both Hutu and Tutsi. (If you don't know what either of those are either watch Hotel Rwanda or look it up on the all mighty Wikipedia.) I am not sure how closely it follows historical fact, but nonetheless it is an incredible film. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when, SPOLIERS, after the U.N. soldiers leave the hotel, Paul stands in the rain, behind him a large group of refugees standing in front of the hotel, that scene sums up so much.

Just one thing, the film has some pretty heavy scenes. Not the best thing if your are weak of heart.

Chalky

Post by Chalky » Tue May 31, 2011 9:02 pm

The Dark Knight........... 'nuff said.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Hangover Part II. Suffice to say, if you liked the first one, you will like the second, and if you didn't like the first one, you will not like the second.