Post by Endoperez » Tue May 03, 2011 10:15 am

Does this fit?

A game is an RPG if it has:

1) advancement system: XP, levels, classes, skills that increase when used
those are also found in FPS games, tower defense games, sport games etc
2) combat
also found in, like, almost all games
3) dialogue and discussion

All three must have a big enough presence in the game, for it to be called an RPG.

Games that some people have said ARE rpgs, but I'm doubtful about:
roguelikes, DotA and other similar games (MOBA, League of Legends, etc), "diablo without plot" (Torchlight?), etc.
Basically, some people believe a game can be an RPG even if it has only the tactical and combat parts of an RPG, with the developing of your character being one of the main draws. I disagree; those games have "rpg elements", but are rpgs no more than FPS games. There's no role, no character, in them.

Game(s) that some people have said are NOT rpgs, but which I'd classify as an RPG:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
It has no character customization. It does have a character that grows in power, with "hearts" replacing "xp", and equipment replacing skills. It has plot and dialogue that are handled like in JRPGs, combat handled something very vaguely like the Elder Scroll games. So if it's not an RPG, the thing that makes it different should be the character development, and I'm not sure if there are any (other?) RPGs in which you need to get basically all the equipment, and can't choose how your characters' skills develop at all. So, basically, no customization at all.
That does actually sound like a viable argument against it. Still not sure about it, but I can see why some people think it isn't an RPG.

Precastwig

Re: What was your first RPG game?

Post by Precastwig » Tue May 03, 2011 10:42 am

Knights of the old republic.
Good game.

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Precastwig wrote:Knights of the old republic.
Good game.
I think mine might have been that.

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 am

……
………Runescape

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 am

MONKEYZ RULE wrote:Runescape
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:RPG is also an acronym for "Rocket-Propelled Grenade"; you need context to know what it's supposed to mean whenever it is used. Hence, "game".
Vibhor wrote:In that case it is used as "Role playing game"
What was your first role playing game
What was your first RPG game
RPG in the title could mean rocket propelled grenade which would change the topic to the first game which featured RPG as a weapon.
Don't use wrong things that are common and then try to justify them.
+1 to both of you for missing the point. I was not talking about rocket propelled grenades. I was talking about role playing games.

"RPG Game" is correct in this case because "RPG" is the adjective. "RPG" is a genre of computer games. The genre isn't "RP". Think about it.

Vibhor, don't assume the wrong meaning of my words just because another forum member (Ragdollmaster) said so. That's sheep mentality.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri May 06, 2011 2:47 pm

+9 for you missing my point entirely. Yes, obviously you're using it as an adjective since it's describing the type of game. Thank you for the first-grade English lesson. I just threw in the explosives comment for the hell of it.

MrJackal22

Post by MrJackal22 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:29 am

My first RPG? It would have to be Final Fantasy IX. Great game. It may also have been Pokemon Yellow, but I think I played FFIX first.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:+9 for you missing my point entirely. Yes, obviously you're using it as an adjective since it's describing the type of game. Thank you for the first-grade English lesson. I just threw in the explosives comment for the hell of it.
After reading your post a second time, I realise that I just assumed you were disagreeing with me because you're annoying. You were agreeing with me though, this is great.

But you're wrong in saying the reason for it being "RPG game" is because you need to distinguish it from rocket-propelled grenades. That seemed to be what you were inferring.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 am

MrJackal22 wrote:My first RPG? It would have to be Final Fantasy IX. Great game. It may also have been Pokemon Yellow, but I think I played FFIX first.
I had the same confusion, I couldn't figure out if I had played Pokemon Blue or Final Fantasy IX first (although it was arguably IX that got me into console RPGs and retrospectively into Final Fantasy VII).

And that's when I realized Baldur's Gate came out 2 years before I played either of them and I played that game to death. I remember when the demo came out and I played it over and over, it didn't really follow the story of the main game and the characters you could recruit were all shoehorned into the first open area so you could kill Gibberlings and Ogres with them. I don't think I actually bought the main game for another couple of years but that demo spoke to me profoundly.
There is safety in numbers. And I'm two or three at least.

MrJackal22

Post by MrJackal22 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Ah, the wonders of demos. You play them until you MUST HAVE the full game. They work extremely well towards their purpose.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue May 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Why is it that all the frequent Swedish members have Pokémon Red as their first RPG?
Is that a good or a bad thing?

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 3:14 am

MrJackal22

Post by MrJackal22 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:35 am

Ok, in the name of novelty Pokemon-related pictures...
It's a template for making your very own Pokemon game. I wouldn't be surprised if Gamefreak used this same template.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 am