Osama Bin Laden is dead.

Anything else
Freshbite

Osama Bin Laden is dead.

Post by Freshbite » Mon May 02, 2011 12:05 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/world ... illed.html

Justice has been done” - Barack Obama

Comments, thoughts and random unrelated babble goes here.

Vibhor

Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead.

Post by Vibhor » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am

Holy shit. After years they finally got 1 man with their whole army.
Totally productive and awesome.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Mon May 02, 2011 2:24 am

The best hide-and-seek player in the world has been found.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon May 02, 2011 4:31 am

Vibhor wrote:Holy shit. After years they finally got 1 man with their whole army.
Totally productive and awesome.
No joke.

I always thought that W. just let him go on purpose at the start of the Afghan war.
That way the administration would have a nice, convenient bogey man to instill fear in the people.
Makes it easier to keep all kinds of shit going:
--squintillions of money for military spending,
--political backing for all manner of wars,
--political backing for use of torture in the name of intel gathering,
--backing for the Patriot act and other infringements on rights here in the states,
--distraction from other pressing issues, like the economy, health care, and reducing taxes for the extremely rich,
--distraction from asinine foreign policy decisions, like supporting dictators here and there in the world, especially in the muslim world.

Be interesting with that last one to see what happens now in Pakistan. It'll also be very interesting to see what happens when someone else takes over, and what new horseshit the republicans will come up with to take his place.

All that said, I'm not sorry to see him go. He can't be used as an excuse for the above BS anymore, and it's one in the eye for the right that he got caught on Obama's watch after the right went so out of their way to make him the single focal point of evil.

Also, fuck him anyway. Not that he holds a candle to W. as an architect of mass-murdering people, but he definitely showed he was willing to give it the best effort he could with the resources available.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon May 02, 2011 5:28 am

I think the symbolic significance of this is more important than the actual strategic value. Al Qaeda is, by now, a relatively autonomous group split up into many different cells across the globe- but the fact that their leader, the guy nobody believed would ever get caught, has actually been caught, it sends a message that none of them are safe.

Then again, we just made bin Laden a martyr, and they'll probably try to shift the facts around to suit them anyways. Oh well.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 pm

It's as if some people expect Bin Laden's death to somehow put an end to Al Qaeda, as if this whole war was simply on the whim of one man rather than backed up by the extremist ideologies which are shared by this massive group of people.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Mon May 02, 2011 12:27 pm

It's good he's dead and all, but as was just pointed out, he's just been made a martyr to the cause, which will probably, if anything, lead to more extremist terrorists...

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Mon May 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Yes, I agree, there could be a huge uprising now... Maybe another War!

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Get your rifles and army helmets, kids! There's gonna be another war on American soil!

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon May 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Oh, Americans. You so silly.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Mon May 02, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm English. And I agree with you :P

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon May 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Rovert wrote:Get your rifles and army helmets, kids! There's gonna be another war on American soil!
Yeah, we usually try to have 'em somewhere else.
Totally interferes with shopping when you do them where you live.

...but some people are just so inconsiderate, always suggesting that we import them and trying to force us to host them... :roll:

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Surprisingly, I didn't really give a shit. (Probably due to the media blaming osama for everything and just wearing any care at all out of me in the past several years)

Unfortunately I'm not sure if he was actually killed or not (no real evidence has been released to anyone other than "I promise I did, I really did!" ... not to mention that they pretty much got rid of the body as fast as possible)

The truth is there is a pretty good possibility the guy died years ago in one of those random cave bombings the US did ... Why not take the credit for killing the guy right before re-election?

To be honest, obama is a bit of a mastermind at PR ... he has made the majority of the media his bitch since his election campaign.

Really it doesn't matter, this is a bit of an embarrassment either way ...

either the guy died years ago and someone is just now claiming credit for his death or the entire US military couldn't kill a single fucking guy for 8 years.

Also the media should be embarrassed for misspelling his name (really im guessing a mispronunciation) for the most wanted person in the world for fucking years. (it's pronounced Usama)

and the public should be even more embarrassed for not realizing it for 8 fucking years.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu May 05, 2011 4:35 am

I personally won't believe that he's dead until I see a genuine picture of his corpse, otherwise, there is no way of anyone outside of the loop telling whether or not he's gone.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 am

I do want to make a revision to my last statement about it being an embarrassment that the entire US military can't kill one guy for 8 or so years.

I thought more about it and realized that our military is just not designed for this scale of warfare.

We're fighting specific individuals and not countries. It's hard to approach with the scale of force that we use and not be detected.

It seems that they were able to kill the guy by first luring him into a false sense of security ...