Brink

Anything else
Freshbite

Re:

Post by Freshbite » Tue May 17, 2011 1:06 am

Zhukov wrote:For $90 AUD.
Damn, my arse hurts.
How the hell can it be that costly?
In USD, the game only costs $49.99, and AUD is even worth more than USD's. Hell, even in Euro the game costs €49.99!

Ragdollmaster wrote:
Freshbite wrote:Often it has to be something wrong with the product in order to get a full refund. The game being bad doesn't usually count.
That's odd. Where I am, you usually get a certain amount of time in which to decide if you want to return the product or not, typically within a span of 30 or 60 days or so, and you can get a full refund.
We also have what is known here as "30 Days of Open Purchase". However, with products like mobile phones, movies, games and computer software, the Open Purchase is only available if you have an unbroken case or package. Unbroken as in; "Wait, this was the wrong product, I have to return it to get that other one", rather than; "Wait, this product sucks, I'll return it to get that other one."

The Swedish economics... they've figured it all out.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Brink

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 17, 2011 3:45 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:
Freshbite wrote:
Ragdollmaster wrote:Or you could lose nothing by, y'know, returning the game for a refund after buying it?
Often it has to be something wrong with the product in order to get a full refund. The game being bad doesn't usually count.
That's odd. Where I am, you usually get a certain amount of time in which to decide if you want to return the product or not, typically within a span of 30 or 60 days or so, and you can get a full refund.
Sounds a bit dodgy. Couldn't you just keep taking games for a week and then returning them for a different one? Pretty sure you do need more than "I don't like this..."

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 am

Freshbite wrote:
Zhukov wrote:For $90 AUD.
Damn, my arse hurts.
How the hell can it be that costly?
In USD, the game only costs $49.99, and AUD is even worth more than USD's. Hell, even in Euro the game costs €49.99!
Well... not to put too fine a point on it, Australian game prices are utterly fucking ridiculous. Always have been. For example, a new release PS3 game costs $110 AUD if you buy it off a shop shelf.

Also, the Australian retail distributers often force developers/publishers to sign contracts that prevent them from being undercut through digital sales. Hence the Brink price. Of course there's always importing through Amazon.com and such. But then you have to pay for postage and wait for the damn thing to arrive.

Happily, it doesn't always happen though. For example, Portal 2 was a perfectly reasonable $45 AUD on Steam, and the new Deus Ex is also pre-ordering for $45.

Also, good old GOG has our backs.

So it's not all bad.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Ragdollmaster wrote:
Sounds a bit dodgy. Couldn't you just keep taking games for a week and then returning them for a different one? Pretty sure you do need more than "I don't like this..."
Nope, you're fully capable of doing that, technically. Most people just don't because A) they're not total douchebags who will take advantage of the system, and B) because if a game is worth buying it's probably worth keeping. It probably varies from store to store but I know that most "superstores" (Wal-Mart, Target, etc) have similar policies.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Your country is fucked up and backwards.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 am

Hold on, a positive review from The Escapist? 4 out of 5 stars? This changes things.

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Ahh yesss. Brink really is a game that isn't afraid of failing compared to stuff like the "new" medal of honor, which tried to follow the same recipe COD had going. I'm sick and tired of games trying to copy a certain recipe instead of just stealing what they like from it and moving on instead of taking the whole bloody thing with them.
And I'm glad the devs tried to make the game they wanted to play rather than trying to take it to a broad audience. It... Kinda still reminds me of neotokyo in that sense too, neotokyo devs didn't really care that much about the criticism towards them coming from the mainstream audience, because they didn't feel their suggestions belonged in their game - they'd created the exact game they'd all wished to play and didn't want it ruined. And I'm really damn glad they didn't listen to the crits, because damn it's as if their game was tailored for me, I still get goosebumps and adrenaline pumping when playing it :D

edit: though damn... That guy used an Euston for mid-long range? Jeez, use a Gerund with drumroll mags, foregrip and a Yeotek dotsight. Or maybe a Rhett with Coga scope. I find the Euston to be generally quite useless.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu May 19, 2011 12:34 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:It probably varies from store to store but I know that most "superstores" (Wal-Mart, Target, etc) have similar policies.
Walmart has a "once its opened, you can't return it, no exceptions" policy on movies, games, and music. I believe Best Buy is this way too.
Gamestop has a "if its new, and you open it, you can return it for its trade-in price" and a, "if you buy it used, you have 7 days to try the game out and get a full return price on the game."

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu May 19, 2011 11:35 am

I watched a gameplay video of Brink that IGN put onto youtube, in which they were doing one of the Parkour challenges, honestly, the gameplay looks painfully awkard, almost like Alone in The Dark awkward, except you can move slightly faster...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Heard a lot of positive feedback from people since people got over the initial frenzy of critics complaining about the game. People have told me that it's been intense overreaction from critics, as in nitpicking to a large degree. They also said the game is definitely flawed but at the same time eccentric in a good way.

Don't shoot the messenger.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri May 20, 2011 3:10 pm

I may look into getting it, but I've just bought Crysis 2 on 360 for £30, and I'm not willing to shell out an extra £40 for a game which you just said (quoting I know) was flawed, I'll wait until it's on offer thanks! :D