Brink

Anything else
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Brink

Post by Grayswandir » Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Oh jBut honestly, what's the issue with the FPS genre? You wouldn't give out about a game and pre-judge its quality based on it being a role playing game.

The thing with FPS games is that most of the "pure" shooter only style ones are fairly simple at their base. You get cool looking guns that do nasty things to demons/nazis/terrorists and you shoot things in their weak points to make them die faster while moving between cinematic set pieces that keep you shooting things and keep your blood flowing. I know people have tried, but the FPS/shooter genre needs a great big kick in the pants to make it more interesting.

Anyway, Saints Row 3 will kick all your asses.
Saints 3 looks like its shaping up to be a pretty fun game.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed May 11, 2011 6:48 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:But honestly, what's the issue with the FPS genre? You wouldn't give out about a game and pre-judge its quality based on it being a role playing game.
I would if it was a Tolkien-esque fantasy RPG.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 7:04 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Nothing of note changed from the first to the second game. :?
Heyyy, that's not a fair statement! I thought Gears of War 2 was different enough for a sequel and the multiplayer pacing changed almost entirely... something that has happened again with Gears of War 3, unless they make some radical changes before release. Plus Epic are following the habit of adopting enough good content to keep their games different enough from the rest of the market.

I have enjoyed the boon of third person shooters in recent years, I only really play shooter titles competitively online so I do look for a bit of variety.
Zhukov wrote:I would if it was a Tolkien-esque fantasy RPG.
I know I'm being picky, but that's a slightly different problem than the mass intergration of a game feature.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 11, 2011 9:03 am

Zhukov wrote:I would if it was a Tolkien-esque fantasy RPG.
Ahh but now you're getting picky. See you just attacked FPS games in general. If you said "Oh, another modern combat COD-like FPS game" about a game, then I would accept it. Surely you can see there's a difference in going "Oh, this setting and playstyle is a bit tired and overused in this genre" and saying "Oh, this genre, it'll probably be shit". To me, you could say that about anything. "Oh, a game, it'll probably be shit." You'll probably say that would be a fair criticism too!
Grayswandir wrote:Saints 3 looks like its shaping up to be a pretty fun game.
Yeah dude, Saints Row 2 proved that trying to make things too realistic is counter-productive. Grand Theft Auto IV, my friend was playing it the other day, and his driver-side door was blocked so his character took a big long 5-10 seconds to move over to the passenger side and exit that way. His character was killed because of it. His words were "If this was Saints Row 2, he would have just APPEARED BESIDE THE FUCKING CAR." Purists will argue that if you want something to animate you as you get into a car, then it should while you're getting out. That's fair enough, but when they're maintaining consistency with real life to the extent where it actually begins to piss players off, you're killing the fun and, therefore, you should be Saints Row 2 instead.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 10:00 am

That depends on whether you're selling fun or atmosphere.

Healey

Post by Healey » Wed May 11, 2011 2:28 pm

I pick up a copy of the game yesterday, and played it for a few hours last night.

My first impression of the game was that it was definitely designed for PC, which is a signature move of Bethesda. The controls felt a bit clunky with the analog sticks, and the framerate seemed choppy at times. The graphics are also sub-par, but it's won't detract from gameplay.
The objective play is very cleverly designed, but because I have a PS3, I was not able to play online, so I don't know how well it translates with other thinking players. The AI seemed to want me to do most of the important objectives, which led to me having to switch play styles a few times every game. This could be good or bad, depending on your preferences.
Overall, I think that you probably only want to pick this one up if you're really, really interested (buy it on PC if you can). The main thing to keep in mind is that you cannot compare Brink to any other multiplayer FPS on the market: it truly is something different. I think the game would be much more appealing to consumers as a stand-alone $20 or $30 DLC, like Battlefield 1943, due to it's lack of polish and mediocre content.

I'll try to write more in-depth later this weekend about it.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Remember this is a Splash Damage game (Enemy Territory folks) and Bethesda are merely publishing :P

Healey

Post by Healey » Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Uberbeard wrote:Remember this is a Splash Damage game (Enemy Territory folks) and Bethesda are merely publishing :P
I was thinking of Prey, but I just went to Bethesda's website, and they're publshing Prey 2, the first one was by 2k. Woops. Still, Bethesda Softworks is technically the same as the publisher Bethesda(same founders). I don't really know what I'm getting at, lol

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Neither do I...why are you talking about Prey? :[

Healey

Post by Healey » Wed May 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Neither do I...why are you talking about Prey? :[
'Cause I said:
Healey wrote:first impression of the game was that it was definitely designed for PC, which is a signature move of Bethesda.
And I said that because Bethesda tends to develop/publish PC oriented games, and I thought Prey was one of those, but I mixed up Prey and Prey 2.

i blame my brain

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Prey 2 exists?! I loved Prey anyway. Played it on PC, though.

Brink doesn't seem to be reviewing very well.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 8:46 pm

No, it doesn't...
Seems the multiplayer component is fine, the guns feel right and the S.M.A.R.T system works well, the level of customisation is of course superb.

Sucky lack of select modes and no reason to play singleplayer are some pretty damning problems, though.

Prey 2 is gonna be very different from Prey, so I read in Edge. They're looking at making an open world game with very basic ties to the original.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Uberbeard wrote:Prey 2 is gonna be very different from Prey, so I read in Edge. They're looking at making an open world game with very basic ties to the original.
Oh...how odd. Well, I guess that did work for Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu May 12, 2011 12:39 am

Uberbeard wrote:That depends on whether you're selling fun or atmosphere.
...and what the buyers definition of fun and atmosphere are.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 am

Grayswandir wrote:
Uberbeard wrote:That depends on whether you're selling fun or atmosphere.
...and what the buyers definition of fun and atmosphere are.
This.