My Indie Game: Fimbulvetr

Anything else
Korban3

Re: My Indie Game: Fimbulvetr

Post by Korban3 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:03 am

Epic. I'm digging the new art and the new structure definitely helps tie the map gameplay to the brawling. Coming along awesomely!

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:53 am

Hey everyone. I have a new video, and this one introduces a couple of new and fairly critical gameplay mechanics:

Please tell me your thoughts on these additions if you wish - all feedback is very much encouraged and appreciated.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:27 am

Ok, the thing with the terrain mixing in battles was kind of cool. Could you do a single check at the midpoint between two characters to see if there is a third terrain type in the middle, to make it account for larger terrain gaps? Not necessary, but it might be cool later on. Anyways, that's still an awesome feature.
Also, having the Great Winter come in and lock in the structures is an awesome mechanic! It's pretty original and definitely forces the players to explore and utilize the entire map. Not sure if it matters, but shouldn't the Winter come down from the North, or up from the South depending on your hemisphere, assuming the setting is Earth and not a fictional planet that has a different solar orientation and climate?
Awesome update, keep up the great work!

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 am

Korban3 wrote:Not sure if it matters, but shouldn't the Winter come down from the North, or up from the South depending on your hemisphere, assuming the setting is Earth and not a fictional planet that has a different solar orientation and climate?
You're actually not the first person to point this out already. However, no, I don't think there needs to be any pretense of reality with the spreading of the winter - it is totally as supernatural as it gets, and has nothing to do with our realistic understandings of climate. I actually imagine it having started at some one specific point in the world and spreading outward from there, so it would actually be a circular effect, but be so big by now that it would be impossible to tell that it's not a straight, flat line.
Korban3 wrote:Awesome update, keep up the great work!
I appreciate it as always, Korban. This was a fun week, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Alright, that makes sense. At least as far as end-of-the-world winters go.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:39 am

New update video! Have a look, all =)

http://youtu.be/OwZJDH0tNgs

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Wow, that's looking great. My first opinion was Holy shit, that winter moves fast. But I started to see how well it plays. Definitely creates that rushy-panic that will get a game kicked off quickly.
Good luck at your demo! Hope it goes awesome.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 am

Hello everyone,

New update video:

Egan

Post by Egan » Tue May 08, 2012 1:16 am

Yep, still looks good. :mrgreen:

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Sat May 12, 2012 2:42 pm

This game looks great. Good work. Looking forward to progress, and bookmarked. :)

Will it be commercial or free?

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue May 15, 2012 11:53 am

Here it is, as promised; a new Gameplay Demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN90R-yCy14

This is the longest and most involved demo thus far. Hopefully it will prove interesting and insightful, showing what a real match looks like and what you can expect from the game in its current form. My talking in the video is not as significant as it usually is - to be honest, I had to find things to ramble about to fill the entire video. Regardless, enjoy, and please give me any and all feedback you might have!

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 am

Jaz wrote:This game looks great. Good work. Looking forward to progress, and bookmarked. :)

Will it be commercial or free?
Thank you for your interest! It really means a lot to me.

The exact financial nature of the game is still up in the air, but I believe it will use some sort of model of being both free and paid both, such as having a more up-to-date paid version and a free older version, or a freemium model, or something. Either way, I expect it to be sold very cheaply.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue May 15, 2012 12:13 pm

I have another question.

Though the artstyle is already great, will you be making any graphical updates/changes in the future?

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue May 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Jaz wrote:I have another question.

Though the artstyle is already great, will you be making any graphical updates/changes in the future?
Yes, better art has been a major consideration and is already on the way. You can see the early prototypes of it in the hare's idle and running animations, which are better-drawn than the rest of the stick-figure art assets. Improvements to battlefield backgrounds, maps, and menus are all in the works as well. Almost all the current art is temporary.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:33 am

Programmer art FTW.
Looking good. Don't hate me if I don't watch the full gameplay. I have to go to bed actually, else I would :|
Coming along great and all your progress makes me jealous of your will to and ability to stick with a big project. I've sort of stuffed Dominance in my back pocket, so it's refreshing to see you still making awesome progress here!
I may revisit the Dominance ideas and concept later, but at this point I wasn't learning much from the work in it and needed to move on to new things, or risk losing my love for programming. I guess I don't have the patience to make large projects yet. The ideas are there, just not the time to commit or the skill to do everything I want effectively to bring it to a big, finished result yet.