My Indie Game: Fimbulvetr

Anything else
SouthpawHare

Re: My Indie Game: Fimbulvetr

Post by SouthpawHare » Wed May 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Korban3 wrote:Coming along great and all your progress makes me jealous of your will to and ability to stick with a big project. I've sort of stuffed Dominance in my back pocket, so it's refreshing to see you still making awesome progress here!
I appreciate your kind words. To be honest, it is very hard sometimes. My "dedication" and "willpower" can just as easily be viewed as insanity, considering how I really do center my life around this project. My free time is spent either working on the game, or goofing off while worrying myself about how I should be working on the game. Commendable work ethic, or unhealthy mental condition? You decide!

As for your own dilemma... I suggest that you do not put your entire focus on programming alone. After all, a good game requires design in many areas, and not just in technology. With Fimbulvetr, I made sure that I was skilled enough to program everything required without any issue, and I have learned very little programming-wise as a result (network coding is a sole and major exception to this... and another whole story). The effort goes far more into game design and stylistic decisions. I wouldn't suggest expecting to get your learning fix from just the programming alone.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeah, I've been branching out a lot.
Mostly in visual art recently, but I've been doing some music composing as well.
It doesn't help that I have high school to finish the next month of and then bootcamp to get through. After that, I can only hope that I'll have some free-time to program and design games.

Maybe I will work more on Dominance. I started up a new sprite sheet a while back, with sprites that I could produce faster. Wanted smoother animations, even if they weren't as detailed since that's more important to me, for the game.
I've got some old ideas I'd like to revisit and some new ones to explore too, someday.

But now I may have to choose between working on the Black Shades modification and Dominance. In the end, if I have to cut one, even temporarily, I'll probably stick with my game. Like a boss.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu May 17, 2012 1:36 am

SouthpawHare wrote:
Korban3 wrote:Coming along great and all your progress makes me jealous of your will to and ability to stick with a big project. I've sort of stuffed Dominance in my back pocket, so it's refreshing to see you still making awesome progress here!
I appreciate your kind words. To be honest, it is very hard sometimes. My "dedication" and "willpower" can just as easily be viewed as insanity, considering how I really do center my life around this project. My free time is spent either working on the game, or goofing off while worrying myself about how I should be working on the game. Commendable work ethic, or unhealthy mental condition? You decide!
hah! if I had your dedication or willpower the world would be a much better place. As it is my sloth and lack of focus border on insanity.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Mon May 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Hey guys. New video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPvvF4vbTzE

Lots of new moves for the Cat. Very happy with how progress is coming along with this second character.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:37 am

Win.
Once again, your productivity over extended periods impresses me.

I've come to the realization that I dig the nerdy, techy crap more than the fun, game design stuff. I think it's because I just wail at the techy stuff and then burn out once I get something that is capable, at a base level, of producing some game-like content.
Like, I've started a game that uses an instance hierarchy to produce a more engine-like game platform. I've started writing the structure that brings components together into characters. I've got a nice animation system going, and am ready to add some simple input handling. After that, I want to work on a simple, vector based physics system for all the motion. But I'll likely start to get bored and just plain tired of this project after that. I'm hoping that more being experienced now will keep me motivated.
[/self-centered tangent]

I like the new moves. The spin attack is pretty cool. His finisher feels pretty anti-climactic at the moment, but maybe you have plans to make it more epic?
Awesome progress, though! I can't wait to see more characters started and see the cat get more fleshed out.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Hello everyone. I have an update to report. You can check out the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhev5qUDuEc

This weekly update actually has some rather big news. As it stands, I am going to be putting work on Fimbulvetr on a bit of a hiatus for a few months.

Of course, the coincidental nature of the situation, having just recently been praised by Korban for sticking to it for so long, does not elude me. Fear not, though - the reasoning for this is not because I have lost motivation. It is actually because I am going to be working on a separate project for another person. This project has a finite schedule, and once it ends, I will be returning to work on Fimbulvetr. So don't worry, Korban, I will be back! =)

(Technically, I'm not actually going anywhere. I'm totally going to still be right here. I just won't be posting any videos for a while.)

I'd really like to thank everyone for all the great support and feedback I've gotten on this project so far. It means a huge amount to me, it truly does. I hope you will all continue to follow the project when I return to it. Thanks again, everyone!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:51 am

I support this. I know, firsthand, how a large project is. I've ended up losing my motivation, which I'm starting to think was because of school, but this hiatus for a separate project could be good for you. It will allow your head time to cool off from the game and to quietly, subconsciously brainstorm.
I hope you have fun with this secrety project, though. "Ugh" work isn't very engaging or motivational.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 am

This new project is going to be very fun. Taking a break on Fimbulvetr is the ONLY downside with it; it's actually a great project outside of that,

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Oh, that's awesome then. Glad to hear it ^-^

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:56 pm

Hello, everyone! I've an update. I've created a new thread for this, as it's been so long:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18172