SouthpawHare

My Indie Game: Fimbulvetr

Post by SouthpawHare » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 am

Started a blog! Follow me there!

http://fimbuldev.blogspot.com/

----------------------

----------------------

Blog: http://fimbuldev.blogspot.com/

Update: Now that I have several videos, I'll be placing a Table of Contents up here on the first post:
[+] index
Weekly Update #19:
Weekly Update #17:
Weekly Update #14:
Weekly Update #12:
Weekly Update #9:
Weekly Update #8:
Weekly Update #5:
Weekly Update #4:
Weekly Update #1: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLyZ50jN ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Gameplay Demonstration 3:
Gameplay Demonstration 2:
Gameplay Demonstration 1:

Preview 4:
Preview 3:
Preview 2:
Preview 1:

Other Topics:
Egypt vs. Greece:
----------------------

Hello everyone! For a while now, I've been working on my own PC game. Progress has been slow, and I've been reluctant to show it off yet as a result of how incomplete it still is, yet I've ultimately decided it would be for the best to get feedback early.

While vastly different than Lugaru in genre and scope, it does bare some similarities - they both primarily feature anthropomorphic animals in combat and war, particularly hares (my personal favorite, and the most completed so far). I've often admired Lugaru and Overgrowth, and I feel like they've given me a measure confidence in my own game development. I really respect the Overgrowth team and thank them for being an inspiration.

The game is a Fighting game and Real-time Strategy game hybrid (one of which is known for being done well on consoles but not PC, and the other visa versa). The setting involves the war of various anthropomorphic animal species at war with some aspects taken from Norse Mythology.

I've recently compiled a video to show what I have so far, now up on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5zvbpmpAe4

I would definitely appreciate any feedback, and hope to have extended discussions with those who might be interested. There's a lot done so far, but much, much more left to be done. Thank you very much to everyone :)
Last edited by SouthpawHare on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 24 times in total.

SouthpawHare

Re: My Indie Game: Fimbulvetr

Post by SouthpawHare » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:51 am

I've uploaded a new video regarding Fimbulvetr, which can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhkrmLgEYgs

This shows some of the new things I've added recently - blocking, grabbing, throwing, and some new moves - as well as going into detail on some of the complexities of the system. It's my hope to show that the game has potential strategic depth while being unintimidating to players who are new to the fighting genre.

As always, I appreciate any and all comments and feedback. Discussion on the mechanics is very welcome! Thank you, everyone!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 am

The first thing I noticed when watching the videos was that the graphics suck. The second thing I noticed was that you've done lots of work on this. Impressive amount of work. The third thing I noticed was that the animations are surprisingly varied and smooth compared to the character graphics.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the concept. I understand TBS + action fighting could work (it did work in Archon, after all), but RTS + action seems like the transition would be too harsh. The RTS portion requires that you decide what orders to give instantly after you exit the combat mode. Have you considered a turn-based strategic portion instead of real-time?

Why are the characters so small compared to the screen? I don't see any advantages to it, unless there are vertical platforms, and those would move the fighting portion away from pure fighting.
What kinds of battle arenas are you planning to make? Will there be any mechanically different fighting levels? Will the terrain affect them?

Will fighting in a specific terrain give bonuses to specific creatures?

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Endoperez wrote:The first thing I noticed when watching the videos was that the graphics suck. The second thing I noticed was that you've done lots of work on this. Impressive amount of work. The third thing I noticed was that the animations are surprisingly varied and smooth compared to the character graphics.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the concept. I understand TBS + action fighting could work (it did work in Archon, after all), but RTS + action seems like the transition would be too harsh. The RTS portion requires that you decide what orders to give instantly after you exit the combat mode. Have you considered a turn-based strategic portion instead of real-time?

Why are the characters so small compared to the screen? I don't see any advantages to it, unless there are vertical platforms, and those would move the fighting portion away from pure fighting.
What kinds of battle arenas are you planning to make? Will there be any mechanically different fighting levels? Will the terrain affect them?

Will fighting in a specific terrain give bonuses to specific creatures?
Thanks for your interest and honesty!

Indeed, the character sizes are due to the inclusion of platforms. As I mentioned, one of my biggest inspirations is the Super Smash Bros. series. As such, I don't believe that adding platforms would "take away" from the combat - to the contrary, much as with Smash Bros., the purpose is to add more spatial strategy and planning, and make it use all two dimensions in a more meaningful way.

Fear not about the transitions being harsh - that's an easy fix. When beginning a match, the game starts paused, with an ample amount of time to make whatever decisions and orders you wish. This pause can be skipped if both players choose to unpause it. I will simply be using this system at the conclusion of combat as well, giving players a nice break to decide their moves (say, 5 seconds), yet making sure it is skippable if both players agree.

As for the graphics, I know they're not great. Unfortunately, it is truly the best that I am capable of. However, as you noticed, despite the lack of quality, I've been trying hard and working with what I have - I've been trying to keep my animations smooth and consistent, which I feel is important in a fighter. It should also be possible to replace the images in the future, should I find someone who can help me by creating better.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:03 am

SouthpawHare wrote: Fear not about the transitions being harsh - that's an easy fix. When beginning a match, the game starts paused, with an ample amount of time to make whatever decisions and orders you wish. This pause can be skipped if both players choose to unpause it. I will simply be using this system at the conclusion of combat as well, giving players a nice break to decide their moves (say, 5 seconds), yet making sure it is skippable if both players agree.

As for the graphics, I know they're not great. Unfortunately, it is truly the best that I am capable of. However, as you noticed, despite the lack of quality, I've been trying hard and working with what I have - I've been trying to keep my animations smooth and consistent, which I feel is important in a fighter. It should also be possible to replace the images in the future, should I find someone who can help me by creating better.
I guess I just don't understand your goal with the RTS portion. You probably have an idea for it, and it might work well, but I just don't get it. Have you tried prototyping the RTS portion of the game yet?

What format are your animations in? They look like they might be image sequences or something. Are the images scaled down to fit what the game needs to show them as, or are they displayed as-is? If you want someone to help with those, you should have that information visible in the beginning or end of your videos in some way.

johndh

Post by johndh » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:59 pm

I was somewhat expecting something like "Lugaru meets Dynasty Warriors". That could be fun.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Oh Google and Wikipedia, you're both so extremely helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimbulwinter

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:59 am

I really like your ideas! I can see where you're probably going with the rts bit. if or when you add objectives like capture the flag, or deathmatches, it could get pretty sweet in regards to how much planning you need. I look forward to seeing your game completed. =D

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:24 am

A big thanks to all the supportive comments and thoughts from everyone!

To answer some questions and comments:

Although I haven't really revealed anything about the setting or theme so far (after all, that's not what really draws people in initially), the name Fimbulvetr is indeed referencing the Great Winter in Norse Mythology that comes before Ragnarok. The base concept involves all of the in-fighting that inevitably occurs between the temperate-climate species and the more winter-adapted ones (and within these groups themselves), as the overall climate changes drastically, before they eventually realize the bigger trouble, what with the end of the world and all. It has some pretty obvious themes of (fantasy) racism and environmentalism, but I don't try to beat anyone's head in over it.

As for the RTS portion... I'll admit, exactly how things will work is still very much malleable at this early stage, but that isn't to say I don't have numerous ideas, of which I just need to pick and choose of. The primary game mode will involve capture point objectives, in which you must capture and defend all of to win. Holding these points also turn things in your favor, giving you a place to regain HP for characters that have survived or retreated from combat. There will be other resources to hold on the map that will have significance to combat - most notably, "beacons" of sorts that grant a steady flow of energy that can be spend in battle to use super moves. This will make things a bit different than your typical fighter - Your super move energy isn't gained at all through the combat in which you use it. The more beacons, the faster it is gained for all units. And finally, of course, terrain itself will confer slight, but notable, bonuses.

As for the graphics, my feelings are ever mixed. I know I'm not much of an artist, and the art is basically crappy MS-Paint equivalent in quality... On the other hand, even making these alone is a very time-consuming endeavor. I still try to keep the characters as consistent as possible, as well as use at least rudimentary animation knowledge and understanding of some martial arts to make their bodies move in a plausible way. I've developed a bit of a fondness for my stick-figure art, as I've put a lot of work into it. I'd still absolutely love to replace it with something much more impressive, but I'd need to find someone else willing to do so - not only redo every sprite, but do it well, consistently, and deal with my nit-picking - something that I don't see happening anytime soon. (That being said, if anyone is willing... By all means, please offer :D )

Thanks again for the interest and comments everyone!

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Hello again everyone! I've released a new video detailing my most recent additions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLd5vltQ_nU

The battle is shaping up to be mostly complete in terms of its required basics. There's only a few things left, in terms of making the game playable and testable. Thanks again for taking a look, and as always, feel free to give any kind of feedback or criticism you wish.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 am

still think it's cool and glad to see you added a bit more gameplay wise, imeo gameplay is far more important than shiny visuals.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello again everyone. The time has come for my fourth and final preview video. By final, I don't mean the last video, but rather the last one that will come out without a downloadable barely-alpha executable for you to try for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPdXMu-EEHQ

Things are progressing well, if still a bit slowly (I'm still working mainly alone so far). I hope you all enjoy the videos and like what you see! :D

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:07 pm

You should get an artist to help, or imrove the art later. other than that this looks pretty awesome.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:34 pm

adwuga wrote:You should get an artist to help, or imrove the art later. other than that this looks pretty awesome.
Thanks a lot! Of course, art is a necessity, but currently a very low priority. Not to mention, finding even one artist willing to help has been all but impossible to date.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:53 pm

This would benefit from local multiplexer, such as split scream, or something like what this does.