Intel Macs, Gold or Mould?

Anything else

What is your opinion of Macbooks and the like?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:39 am

Gold!
80%
Pretty good, but not perfect
10%
No preference/hard to decide
No votes
Good, but overall, normal macs are better
10%
Mould!
No votes

Total votes: 10

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Intel Macs, Gold or Mould?

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:39 am

What do you think of Intel Macs? Are they wonderful new ways to incorporate power, or are they a black obelisk of incompatibility?

Personally, I think I'd prefer the "good old"-ness of normal macs, and the compatibility, definately, but what do you think?

P.S: This seems like a poll that may have been done before, if so, I didn't notice. I did a quick scan through a quick search a few moments ago, just in case, though

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:32 pm

while i haven't actually used an Intel mac, I would say that they are the coolest things ever. Compatability? aren't Intels way, way more compatible? you can put frickin windows on them and they can still run all the old mac apps. plus, they are much more powerful. i just don't see the contest.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:35 pm

The second they release the next generation of macbooks, I'm buying one. Apple's elegance with the ability to run Windows and other operating systems? I'm sold!

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:49 pm

I agree with Jeff.

I've been running this piece of shit G4 cube for almost five years now.

It's time for a change. 456 Megahertz gets rather taxing, you know?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:58 pm

Albab wrote:I agree with Jeff.

I've been running this piece of shit G4 cube for almost five years now.

It's time for a change. 456 Megahertz gets rather taxing, you know?
I have a G4 Cube too :) Haven't used it for years though. It looks cool on my desk.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:05 pm

What about compatibility with MAC apps? Either way, I'm using a G4 iBook right now and all is fine, and I'm not sure whether or not you mean classic apps by "Old Mac Apps", but it seems we all stand divided on this issue, and I am a one in a million others, as always, ah well :)

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:19 pm

I was talking about ppc osx apps. I just found out that classic apps won't run on intel, but i still say they're better. the only thing i would miss is my oldschool tetris.

champrjk

eh

Post by champrjk » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:11 pm

I think its real cool how mac did the whole intel thing but i still prefer it better when mac was just mac. Macs are much better in my opinion.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

All that glitters is not Mac Gold.

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:31 am

I bought an Intel iMac in January, (The day they came out!) and they aren't that much different. Speedwise, they're slightly faster. The only huge difference is Boot Camp (Windows XP), which has it's share of problems. Like how it's incompatible with my speakers, airport card, camera, and printer. It runs pc games pretty well, but they aren't a whole lot of fun without internet or sound. :?

And don't tell me to use the Macintosh Drivers CD, because it doesn't work.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: eh

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:46 pm

champrjk wrote:I think its real cool how mac did the whole intel thing but i still prefer it better when mac was just mac. Macs are much better in my opinion.
I have seriously been waiting years for Apple to switch to Intel - David will vouch for the fact that I've been telling him that Apple needs to drop PPC since seventh grade.

The switch to Intel is why you can have a dual core Mac Mini that costs $599 and is probably faster than Apple's pro desktops that we were lauding a couple years ago.

Also, bootcamp and parallels are just the beginning. Wait until you see the crazy up and coming virtualization stuff that will let you run any Windows or Linux app right in OS X. Back in the day, I would have killed to be able to run Windows software on my Mac. You young whippersnappers don't know how good you have it these days.

champrjk

eh

Post by champrjk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:51 pm

lol sorry. I guess growing up with a top of the line macintosh has left me uninformed of the problems you older gents have had with computers.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:36 pm

Let's hope it'll run certain (Yes, games :P) things that seem to run best on Windows ME...

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:11 am

the G4 cube is definetly the best computer out there.

I'm thinking of ripping out the G4, and putting in my own computer. :D

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:27 am

I take back what I said about the Intel Mac. I just bought Quake 4, It makes the Xbox 360 look like an Atari.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:56 pm

You're not so old yet, Jeff. Just think about who you're talking to before you go mouthing off.