Bad
12%
Horrible
6%

Total votes: 17

»StaffShock«

Website

Post by »StaffShock« » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:32 am

I'm making a website from scratch with html, css, and a tinge of javascript.
Just for kicks, I'd like to know what you think.

My site

I have to force myself to use [] instead of <> to get the bbcode to work! It's confusing...

Also, bug report: The image map of the iMac G5 on the Apple page doesn't work... Well, it does work, you just need to highlight the text to see it for some reason. It was working before, I guess it just decided not to work.

And, it needs a Lugaru page. Working on it...

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:23 am

Nice :)

That's my computer except that my ram is 768 meg.

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:37 pm

I think it looks great. Pretty simple, and theres not much on it, but its not bad. I like the look.

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:18 am

It's good, but the buttons have pixelated edges. Maybe you should consider making buttons with backgrounds to avoid that. Sorry, I like to nitpick :)

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:00 am

Yeah, but it's really only noticeable on the blender button. I think I'm gonna keep it like it is for now, at least until I get a better idea for a theme or something. I might add some javascript to the Lugaru page so you get different messages after 5, 10, 15 seconds. (Though I doubt anyone would stay that long.)

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:46 am

Have you used Flash? (For those of you who don't know what flash is, it's a fancy web design program) You could make the sidebar icons into flash symbols. So like, at first glance you'd just see the Apple, Blender, Halo, and Lugaru icons, but when you moved the mouse over them, the icon would spread out to reveal: "My blender models"

(Yes, it's pretty useless, but it gives you internet street-cred)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:59 am

He didn't use Flash, and I hope he won't. Using Flash for menus is a no-go unless the website is an all-in-one Flash movie.

As for the effect you're suggesting, a simple mouseover Javascript snippet would do that as well. Google something like "mouseover effect image html". That's the easiest and nicest solution. There are DHTML and XHTML solutions for this as well. The pics would have to be smaller though.

That's something that you should consider anyway, Staffshock: Compressing your pictures. They are pretty big in filesize, compared to common menu pic filesizes on the internet. Try some JPEG or PNG codec if you want to do it.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:58 am

Well, if you let the page load, the buttons will light up when you mouse over.

@rudel-How would I go about compressing the images? I made them in photoshop, which might be a problem, but I'm not sure how to compress them without seriously hurting the quality.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:14 am

You'll have to try it out. Compressing images without seriously hurting the quality is a trial-and-error task.
Just compress each image with different codec parameters into new files and compare quality and filesizes. As far as I know, there's no better way to do that.

Compressing images always leads to some kind of compromise, that's why you probably don't want to do it. Your pics are difficult to compress anyway since they are pretty detailed.

By the way, the mouseover stuff doesn't work for me. Dunno why though, the code seems to be okay.. I'm using Firefox and no script-blocking stuff.

Edit: I tried compressing it as a PNG because of the alpha layer, but can't really go anywhere below 136 KB, which is just 24 KB smaller. I guess it's the best you'll get :)

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:40 pm

I got some word that they should be a smaller size, I went down to 800x600 and they're HUGE. But, what I meant about compessing was that I literally don't know what to do. For that matter, what's a codec? :P

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:47 pm

In Photoshop, the easiest way is to choose "Save for Web" from the file menu and follow the instructions.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:54 pm

MacWiggy wrote:(Yes, it's pretty useless, but (flash) gives you internet street-cred)
Uh... I think it gives you the opposite of internet street cred. People tend to hate flash.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Jeff wrote:
MacWiggy wrote:(Yes, it's pretty useless, but (flash) gives you internet street-cred)
Uh... I think it gives you the opposite of internet street cred. People tend to hate flash.
^^ Good to hear, I'm not paying for flash.

(Jeff double posting? The end must be near!)

Just kidding... :wink:

I looked at the buttons on a lower res, and they definitely need to be taken down by 50%. That will happen later today, hopefully. Also, expect the Lugaru page to take shape over the next week.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:47 pm

People love Flash you moron! But then again, you probably can't run it on your aforementioned 99' G3 iMac.

[nayr]don't diss the G3 iMac[/nayr]