Games That Do Stuff, Really Well

Anything else
MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:29 pm

"You said Diablo 2 was the most badass thing ever. You can't really talk."

I never said that Savage was better than Diablo 2. I just said that Savage is the best of it's genre. It's a great game, but not worthy of being better than Diablo 2.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:53 pm

Oh no, you misunderstand me. I said that because you think Diablo 2 is the best game there is, you should not be allowed to have opinions in mature conversations. :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:57 am

Hmm, I played the demo for savage 1 a bit, it was alright I guess (I really need to play it more to get an actual idea of the game). But it doesn't seem to allow you to switch from fps to rts, what's more is that the rts overhead is 3-d but doesn't seem to be to scale with the fps version. But that's cool at least, it's nice that you can have a bunch of fps heroes working with you, while somebody does the brutal RTS part, good concept.

As a side note, Dogs of War let you play fps and RTS very fluently (even though the fps shooting parts were total suck ass). And a new Half life 2 mod, Iron Grip: The Oppression is looking to be a pretty interesting FPS vs RTS match (it's like BF2 except your soldiers ACTUALLY LISTEN TO YOU). And another upcoming game called Field Ops looks to be even funner, it actually looks like it's completely shot in fps to give you fun gameplay mechanics along with decent RTS commanding that can be fluently swapped in and out while you play. The main thing I look for in RTSs is the resource management, that's why savage 2 looks pretty promising, Dogs of war doesn't have resources, neither does Natural Selection, and if Field Ops doesn't have it... well that would suck in my opinion. I generally dislike squad based RTSs though, it always seems like it's the game's fault whenever I lose an irreplaceable guy.
Natural Selection, Rise and Fall, Empires beta, Desperados 2, Joan of arc, and Battlezone Pulled off some thread.
It's those god damn retarded Starcraft and Command and Conquer levels where you're expected to take out overwhelming enemies without resources or a base, not even a medic sometimes, those levels are stupid and piss me off. God damn level designers...

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:05 am

I've played Natural selection and it had resources... kinda.

I also played Savage (demo) and Empires beta... Savage was good but it kinda lagged for me with my crap computer (which I have since replaced with a still crappy, but not as bad computer). In Empires the commander never actually commands anything ever for some reason. he just goes and put buildings and does research while his team goes and does stuff how they see fit.

If they make RTS/FPS then they should make something similar to score but not as good. Like "most cooperative" or something (Savage had it I think) where you gain those points by following orders and such.

I'll ahve to look into that iron Grip thing, I've never heard of it, and I like the FPS/RTS thing. Following orders is a specialty of mine I guess :P.

AiglosCelt

Post by AiglosCelt » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Zantalos - In the upcoming sequel to Savage the summoner unit will be able to switch views to command npc peons that he creates...sweetness XD

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:44 am

Zantalos wrote:Damnit, it takes so long to get to the first planet of Zaonce, friggen spaceships stopping me from zooming. The instructions said ZOOM I want to ZOOM!!

Okay I just got blown up. Apparently I shouldn't be shooting lasers at yellow dots.
"The first planet of Zaonce"? there is only one planet in each system!

And to ZOOM, look at your space compass and turn upwards when you enter a system, until the planet is right on the circle edge (ie: 90? upward, or Pseudo "Up"), hyperspace if possible for a bit, otherwise hyperspace ASAP, then turn back towards the planet, activate hyperspace, and sit back and relax, it'll get you there VERY quickly, since you'll be out of the space lane and nobody will slow you down (Autobahn in space!)

And Noctis NEEDS to be ported to mac… Now… Soon… :cry::cry::cry:

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:06 pm

Ok new game, it's like Liero (except it doesn't have the awesome grappling hook, that grappling hook was the coolest thing ever, omg that sucks, I want the grappling hook freaking crap), but it excels in multiplayer support. It's a 2-d side scrolling game with guns (and jet packs), it's awesome.

http://www.soldat.pl/download.html
Windows only...

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:14 pm

If only Bill Gates had just left mac alone :|

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:24 pm

errr, what?

It's time to get intel Macs peoples (you know, if you just happen to have a couple thousand dollars lying around).

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:40 am

Soldat is a great game, but only in realistic mode with modified weapons.

Sartan

Post by Sartan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:18 pm

Bioshock. Bouncing Jesuses, it's going to be great.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:07 pm

So.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

'Nuff said.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:36 pm

^ looks very good, much better than Oblivion... but the demo was way too simple.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 pm

leDoOd wrote:^ looks very good, much better than Oblivion... but the demo was way too simple.
Why do people keep comparing it to Oblivion? Dark Messiah and Oblivion are completely different from a game design standpoint. Oblivion was about being non-linear and having a lot of stuff to do: Dark Messiah is very linear but focuses on awesome combat. So, I guess those two designs complement each other, but they shouldn't be compared to each other.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:56 pm

They ARE both 1st person RPG's that look the same on first glance.