Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:02 am

wow that windows vista voice recognition video is amazing

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:12 am

bob wrote:wow that windows vista voice recognition video is amazing
Yeah, especially given that the guy's enunciation makes me want to punch him over the internet.

James M

Post by James M » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:22 am

Jeff wrote:I've got to say one thing about the keynote though... Apple and Mac zealots are going to be in a world of hurt when Vista ships. Apple was all "nyah, nyah, look at how Vista is copying us!" at the keynote and everyone was laughing. Well guess what - yeah, they copied OS X feature for feature and are going to ship an OS that has everything Leopard has plus more.

Vista already has the equivalent of Spotlight, Expose, Dashboard, Timemachine, Spaces, Aqua, etc. In fact, at this point, what feature does OS X have that Vista doesn't? It used to be funny "Microsoft just blatantly ripped off Dashboard and added it to Vista!" but now, that has happened like 20 times and Microsoft is still adding stuff like their speech recognition engine: http://www.istartedsomething.com/200608 ... creencast/

If I were Apple, I would have made fun of how archaic Windows XP is, not advertise that fact that Vista has everything OS X has and more. They literally started the keynote off with screenshots of Vista and how it had a bunch of Apple technology. Of course the tone was mocking, but I'm sure a lot of people were like "when did Vista get OS X's features?"
Well im sure it will be a decent enough operating system, when they release it in 10 years time...

Have you played around with the Vista beta? I haven't, so I was just wondering if its any good.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:22 am

Jeff wrote:Yeah, especially given that the guy's enunciation makes me want to punch him over the internet.
heh heh, yeah I was surprised it could recognize him too.

Before I was thinking, "well crap, maybe I should just get an intel Mac and boot up windows." Now that it seems to me that they're both pretty much squared off again, I can just go by personel preference, good thing (but still, those Apple switch commercials are making windows look like crap... god damn viruses. I think I'm gonna have to run another windows defender, Ad-Aware, and Spy-bot combo again... damnit).

And I don't know what the deal with emulating is it's like totally random compatibility

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:36 am

Have you played around with the Vista beta? I haven't, so I was just wondering if its any good.
Unfortunately I'm not an MSDN member, so it's not installed on any of my computers at the moment, but I have seen it in action and it is really sweet. I know a bunch of developers who use it full time and they love it. It is so far ahead of Windows XP that it's crazy. It is like 10.1,2,3,4,5 all wrapped into one huge update, so it is going to be really trippy for people used to XP or below.
Zantalos wrote:Before I was thinking, "well crap, maybe I should just get an intel Mac and boot up windows." Now that it seems to me that they're both pretty much squared off again, I can just go by personel preference, good thing (but still, those Apple switch commercials are making windows look like crap... god damn viruses. I think I'm gonna have to run another windows defender, Ad-Aware, and Spy-bot combo again... damnit).
Depending on your money situation, I would recommend going with Apple just because you will be able to run both Mac OS and Vista, now that Apple uses Intel chips. If you're on a budget, Macs a bit pricey though.

Edit: Post #1000!

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 am

Just wanted to let you know that Microsoft stopped selling Virtual PC for mac, because Boot Camp came out. I think the conversation went a little something like this....

Windows: Hey, I just got back from work and- Wait, who is that?
Mac: This is Intel.
Intel: Hey.
Mac: We just met in a coffee shop and...
Windows: But I thought I was the only one you loved! I've built my whole life around being like you!
Mac: I'm sorry, but me and Intel were meant to be together.
Windows: I can see when Im not needed, (Sob...)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:20 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Just wanted to let you know that Microsoft stopped selling Virtual PC for mac, because Boot Camp came out.
Not at all. They stopped supporting Virtual PC because of Parallels and VMWare.