All time favorite games

Anything else
ashleywinglet

All time favorite games

Post by ashleywinglet » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:20 am

Hey guys.
Share here Which one game is your all time favorite?
Discuss here.
My all time favorite game is Battlefield3.

Korban3

Re: All time favorite games

Post by Korban3 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:02 am

Shooters in general: Nothing tops Half-Life 2 for me. Not Gears, not Halo, not Cod. Not even DOOM.

Brawlers: Overgrowth for sure.

Puzzle games: I like the physics puzzles in Half-Life 2, even if they are kind of minimal and rare. I don't play many other puzzle games. 'Cept Tomb Raider 2.

Adventure Games: Skyrim, but I'm hoping that my game will become my favorite adventure game. At least once it has adventure components. So many games lack true adventure. They're too linear or too open. SKyrim rarely feels adventury because it's a bit of walking and a lot killing, but not a lot of much else. And the combat can be stale sometimes too.

RPGs: Hm. Don't play many of these. Runescape was the last one I played I think.

Flight Sims: Black Prophecy. One of the best free online games out there. That game is awesome and fun. And free.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:33 am

Skyrim's more RPG than adventure if you ask me, seeing as it's an rpg.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:44 am

Korban3 wrote:Shooters in general: Nothing tops Half-Life 2 for me. Not Gears, not Halo, not Cod. Not even DOOM.
What about Counterstrike 1.6 which in my opinion still has the best gun physics and the most balanced gameplay (but still interesting). Whereas in CoD for example you can pick up a gun and it will feel the same as 10 other guns, in Counterstrike every weapon is different and you have to learn to shoot with each of them.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:14 am

Well, I guess. I just adventure in Skyrim, so it feels more adventury to me that RPGish. RPGs need a new word. RPG has too much of a nerdy conotation for me. Maybe BAAG. Bad Ass Adventure Game? But that tends to exclude cutesy anime and JRPGs. But that's also why I don't run the world.

I haven't played Counter Strike. But it looks freakin' awesome. I got a friend who plays a good bit of CS, and just about every FPS is better than CoD. It's not hard to beat, gameplay wise.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:25 am

Korban3 wrote:... , and just about every FPS is better than CoD. It's not hard to beat, gameplay wise.
True, true. But sadly CoD is the fps that breaks the records with their cheap CoD version every year. :s Insane times we live in.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:42 am

I've played a few hours of CSS since somebody kindly gifted it to me a few days ago, it's great fun. It can be a bit frustrating when you go up against very experienced players who can headshot you from across the map with little effort, though. I actually had one experience where I saw an enemy before he saw me, fired and hit him in the chest with a sniper rifle (but his damn kevlar kept him alive), and before I had pulled the bolt back for another shot, he'd turned around and shot me in the head with a pistol. My jaw literally dropped (partially from rage)

I find Half-Life games underwhelming for all of the hype surrounding the series. They're all pretty much the same: the first three or four hours are like crack, then the fun starts winding down as you get into repetitive linear "shoot these guys, hit this button, solve this unchallenging puzzle which is here for the sole purpose of showing you that our engine has realistic physics" for about eight hours, then the last one or two hours are incredibly fun. Actually, I got to Xen in Half-Life 1 and found it really boring, even after I'd progressed quite a bit into it and faced off against some bosses etc, but for Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2, that bit about the last part is true. The gunplay in Half-Life is somewhat disappointing, too. Automatics, for instance, are much less accurate than pistols, and their accuracy relative to your cursor isn't affected by recoil- bullet paths are just randomized every shot. Go up to a wall and fire a shot from the SMG, then see where it lands. Wait a second, and fire again- see where it lands this time. It's a bit ridiculous. That's not how guns work. Not gamebreaking, to be sure, but for all of the sophistication of the rest of the Source engine, you'd think they would be able to figure out semi-realistic weapon mechanics.

I like the games a lot- they're polished, they've got style, they're fun- but I wouldn't give any of them above like a 9 out of 10. I find it a little weird that so many people consider the games of the series to be the best games of all time. To each his own, I suppose.

CoD is good for a bit of mindless, completely reflex-based fun. I'm disappointed in the developers because some installments of the series were pretty awesome, and then they started churning out this cash-cow bullshit where gameplay has yet to change at all for four games in a row, supplemented with pathetic and overpriced DLC map packs that mean you're effectively spending $120 per game if you get everything new. It's also one of the most popular series in the world, which naturally means the userbase is horrible and populated with children trying to act like teenagers, teenagers trying to act like adults, and adults who are disgracing the human race with every word spoken over their headset.

Shooters aside, here's a quick list of my favorite games in no particular order, skipping around quite a lot between systems and generations :lol:
==================================
Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3
Bioshock
Killzone 2, 3
Chrono Trigger, Cross
Final Fantasy X
God of War 1, 2, 3
Assassin's Creed 2
Skyrim
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Kingdom Hearts 1, 2
Just Cause 2
inFamous 1, 2
Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, 4
Uncharted 1, 2, 3
Ace Combat 4, 5
Mirror's Edge
Star Wars Battlefront 1, 2
Xenosaga 1, 2, 3
SaGa Frontier 1, 2
Legend of Dragoon
Deus Ex
Portal
Dragon Nest
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
Crash Bandicoot
Halo 1, 2
==================================
Hopefully nothing has slipped my mind :u

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:07 pm

These are all my favorites in the different categories I could think of at the time, but the few games I always can come back to and never get tired of are highlighted in Red. There are sure to be some games that I've missed, then again, if I forget about them they don't really qualify anyway.

Everything is in alphabetical order, lists and titles.

Adventure:
  • - Pokémon Red/Gold/Ruby (Generation 1-3)
    - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Casual games:
  • - Gish
    - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
    - Jumper
    - NightSky
    - Super Meat Boy
    - Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

Fighting games:
  • - BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
    - Super Smash Bros. Melee
    - Tekken 3
    - Worms 3D

MMORPG's:
  • - Ragnarok Online
    - Silkroad

Puzzle games:
  • - Braid
    - Myst IV: Revelation
    - Portal

Roaming (+Slaughter):
  • - Dynasty Warriors 3/4/5
    - Grand Theft Auto 2
    - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    - Midtown Madness 3
    - Need For Speed: Underground

RPG's:
  • - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Shooters:
  • - Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    - Counter-Strike (1.6)
    - F.E.A.R.
    - Half-Life 2
    - Halo 2
    - Halo 3: ODST

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:06 am

Pringsp

Post by Pringsp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:19 am

My all time favorite game is Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 am

Those are... two different games.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:40 pm

my all time favorite game is soccer.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:47 pm

I see what you did thar.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:52 am

I kinda wish I hadn't...

Anyway, my list:

Mass Effect series
Gears series
Halo series
Half Life series
Portal series

Or, if I'm in more of a casual mood:
Guitar Hero series
Trackmania nations forever

Finally, for multiplayer:
Battlefield 3
BFBC 2
COD (In general, would mention different games but they're all kinda copy and pasta when it comes to the MP aspect of them)
Halo

All games are in order from most played/favorite to least played/favorite (Mostly).

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Dominions 3 is the one single-player game I've spent the most time with. Turn-based fantasy strategy. A bit like a cross between Master of Magic, Europa Universalis and more book-keeping and slower turns than board-game Risk with 14 players on a huge map.

League of Legends is the only game I've played more than occassionally this last year. Don't know how well it lasts in the following years, but it has endeared me towards its genre.

Also, I suggest NOT talking about the differences between RPGs and adventure games in this thread. It derails threads. If someone really needs to talk about it, a new thread would be a better option.