Game of Thrones thread!

Anything else
leDoOd
What custom title?

Game of Thrones thread!

Post by leDoOd » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 am

kehaar and I were cloggin' up the Movies thread earlier and I thought it best to start a new thread for any GoT discussion! Are there any other readers on the forum? If so, please direct your furious venting toward THIS thread. We will all listen with sympathetic ears.

***PLEASE indicate spoilers as you discuss them and use white font for privacy!!***

So, I'm at the point in the series where everything is going wrong and I'm losing the will to continue reading (A Feast for Crows). kehaar has sort of inspired me to keep trudging on, but even so, I bemoan the absence of all of my fave characters. John Snow and Tyrion are both getting absolutely no chapter-time at all thus far.

Anyone else seriously want to reach through the book and smack Cersei with a club?

kehaar

Re: Game of Thrones thread!

Post by kehaar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Hahaha! Who else is reading this sword opera?

I gotta say, the Dance w/ Dragons book is moving things along nicely. I stayed up 'til 3 am reading it, so I must be enjoying it. There's a little intro that says it's not quite a sequel to the 4th book, but that the stories run at the same time as the 4th book, and then continue with more when it's all caught up. Pretty good, too. Tyrion's, Jon Snow's and Bran's stories are in and others that I'll not mention...

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Ahh good, just what I need! I love all of those little buggers. OK, I'll definitely keep reading. Does Hodor get his own chapter? :mrgreen:

Just a question for clarification, if anyone knows. I'm curious if Daenerys is doing anything during the 4th book, or if she is pulling a CoK moment and spending a large chunk of time administrating another city she has conquered? Perhaps this is covered in the 5th book and I'm just impatient? Seriously, I just want all the LAME Lannister chapters to end, even Jaime is getting tiresome by this point.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 am

ayup, her stuff is being done... not maybe as quick as I'd like, but it is indeed on the move... you should stick with it, I think.

funny thing about telling a story from so many points of view: I'm finding a lot of stuff tedious just because I really want to get back to the stories of the characters I like. And then some hairball shit happens to or in the vicinity of one of the ones I don't enjoy, and the plot takes a big sideways leap....like the part you were talking about

SPOILERS ------------------------SPOILERS----------------------------SPOILERS---------------------SPOILE
I was really getting kind of tired of Catelyn's anxious and overly expository chapters just in time for--!! holy shit!

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 am

The first episode was just shown in Finland and I came the cum of joy everywhere ad had to clean for hours. It was great and I can't wait till next week for the 2nd episode :o

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Haha "I came the cum of joy" is definitely what I will call it from now on. :) Did they dub the language to Finnish or are you watching with subtitles? What do you think of Joffrey so far, if you met him?

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:57 pm

damn, I can't wait 'til it comes out on disc!

the 5th book is pretty dang good-- with crazy developments, and more sudden and catastrophic murders, even wider stretching politics and power plays, and, well, lots of hacking plus stabbing and some killing, plus war, famine, pestilence and fire...

Sort of like a mash-up of The Tudors and a lot of scary magic/religion.

Hey, I recommend The Tudors series, btw. A pretty pivotal time in Euro history (the foundation of the future British Empire-- Henry the 8th was Elizabeth 1's dad, she was a bastard child,iirc).

Start of the Renaissance, start of matchlock guns, still swords and lances & armor, start of science, huge nasty conflicts with the Churches) with all the court intrigue and power plays and the vicious violence that results. And a good dose of steamy fornicatin' that you'd expect from a guy who was 17 when he was crowned, and from all his friends... which leads in turn to more power plays about heirs to this and that, and to yet more sudden killing and horrible medievel torture and occasional beheading.

And then there's a rebellion, war, some insane plague that kills half of the population in like, a week, and then he starts to lose his mind a little bit when he gets old, so there's some killing...

Supposed to be reasonably accurate, at least in the big picture, if not in all the little details.

Not a time of great life expectancy, even for lords.

Caution: May contain some violence. :P

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:28 pm

*BUMP!*
Okay, so it's out on disc, and it rocks. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is particularly awesome, but it's all well cast and the adapted screenplay is well done-- not an easy task to boil a story like that down for filming.

Lots o' gettin' medievel on everyone's asses, if that's the phrase I want. Also some nekkid boobies, which also works for me.