what are emotions and feelings

Anything else
The Creator

what are emotions and feelings

Post by The Creator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:59 am

this is a serious question if anyone knows what emotions are if you do then post here this is where you can express your knowledge of feelings. Because we feel them every day of our life they are what make's us..... well human. Every feeling we have is derived from the following eight primary emotions

Acceptance – the feeling of being liked/loved just as you are. Giving credence to your thoughts, actions and beliefs.

Anger – a feeling that is oriented toward some real or supposed grievance

Anticipation – a feeling of pleasure (and sometimes anxiety) in considering some expected or longed-for good event, or irritation at having to wait.

Disgust – typically associated with things that are perceived as unclean, inedible or infectious.

Fear – a powerful, unpleasant feeling of risk or danger, either real or imagined.

Joy – a feeling of pleasure; a source of happiness.

Sadness – a state of unhappiness and hopelessness.

Surprise – a feeling of shock due to something perceived as unexpected. (Can be pleasant or unpleasant).

this song here ---> Havana Brown - We Run The Night

i get the emotion Anticipation when i listen to this and while i was listening to this i felt sick in the gut i guess that the way the song has an effect on me. You might feel something else it depends on you and your past history you might feel love or sadness it depends on who you are

p.s listen to the song and tell me what you feel (you dont have to tell me if you don't want to and close your eyes while you listen it will help :D )

pp.s thank you for reading this :)

ppp.s post your song and the emotion that you get from it please thanks

Janekkubek

Re: what are emotions and feelings

Post by Janekkubek » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Well, to be oprn te best statement i can add to your thread is
[+] Youtube
:D

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:06 pm

not really my music flavor, but glad you like music, OP.

I soooo recommend playing some instrument(s)-- keyboard for starters, since you like the computer-fabricated sounds of that dance tune. Lots of fun rhythm stuff in there, ton of notes on the upbeats makes it drive along.

another recent song with a ton of awesome syncopation in the keys is Single Ladies, especially in the last third or so.

I have to look away from the screen to listen to the keys, though. :lol:

some semi-dumb lyrics and repetitive dance choreography, but that's pop music, and dang those are some nice legs

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Janekkubek wrote:Well, to be oprn te best statement i can add to your thread is
[+] Youtube
:D
haha but do even know how to anser the question f*** head this is how you anser the question

Emotion is a complex psychophysiological experience of an individual's state of mind as interacting with biochemical (internal) and environmental (external) influences. In humans, emotion fundamentally involves "physiological arousal, expressive behaviors, and conscious experience. Emotion is associated with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation. Motivations direct and energize behavior, while emotions provide the affective component to motivation, positive or negative.

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:25 pm

kehaar wrote:I soooo recommend playing some instrument(s)-- keyboard for starters
your close to the instrument i want to play what i want to play is the piano i also want to be a Dj :mrgreen:

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Let me just state here that "men don't feel anything at all". Seriously. We don't get it. For centuries we've tried to understand, but it's just not logical.
[/stereotype]

~ Black
A good friend will bail you out of jail and lecture you about how you messed up. A great friend will be sitting right next to you laughing about it saying "damn, we really screwed up!"

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 pm

It's true. We just don't understand how emotions work. They are completely devoid from our lives. </seriousface]

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 am

The only emotion we know is passion for spreading our seed(usually sunflower), and that isn't even an emotion.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 pm

He's correct. It's a biological urge programmed into us by the neutral, guiding hand of most people.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm

They are what keeps our logic in check.

To quote Douglas Adams:
Mostly Harmless wrote:Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks.

Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. The easiest way to fool a completely logical robot is to feed it the same stimulus sequence over and over again so it gets locked in a loop. This was best demonstrated by the famous Herring Sandwich experiments conducted millennia ago at MISPWOSO (The MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Surprisingly Obvious).

A robot was programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches. This was actually the most difficult part of the whole experiment. Once the robot had been programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches, a herring sandwich was placed in front of it. Whereupon the robot thought to itself, `Ah! A herring sandwich! I like herring sandwiches.'

It would then bend over and scoop up the herring sandwich in its herring sandwich scoop, and then straighten up again. Unfortunately for the robot, it was fashioned in such a way that the action of straightening up caused the herring sandwich to slip straight back off its herring sandwich scoop and fall on to the floor in front of the robot. Whereupon the robot thought to itself, `Ah! A herring sandwich..., etc., and repeated the same action over and over and over again. The only thing that prevented the herring sandwich from getting bored with the whole damn business and crawling off in search of other ways passing the time was that the herring sandwich, being just a bit of dead fish between a couple of slices of bread, was marginally less alert to what was going on than was the robot.

The scientists at the Institute thus discovered the driving force behind all change, development and innovation in life, which was this: herring sandwiches. They published a paper to this effect, which was widely criticised as being extremely stupid. They checked their figures and realised that what they had actually discovered was `boredom', or rather, the practical function of boredom. In a fever of excitement they then went on to discover other emotions, Like `irritability', `depression', `reluctance', `ickiness' and so on. The next big breakthrough came when they stopped using herring sandwiches, whereupon a whole welter of new emotions became suddenly available to them for study, such as `relief', `joy', `friskiness', `appetite', `satisfaction', and most important of all, the desire for `happiness'.

This was the biggest breakthrough of all.

Vast wodges of complex computer code governing robot behaviour in all possible contingencies could be replaced very simply. All that robots needed was the capacity to be either bored or happy, and a few conditions that needed to be satisfied in order to bring those states about. They would then work the rest outfor themselves
Tl;Dr: emotional thought is used when we cannot fully comprehend the information. I can use logical thought to rationalize simple problems with limited input data. But I cannot ever use rational thought to quantitatively measure "which painting is better". that is where our emotions come into play.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:03 am

I pretty much attribute emotions to base instincts branching out into what society considers right and wrong.
Love and Lust, while generally considered rather polar, both stem from the biological urge to reproduce.
Anger stems from the natural reaction to a threat: Violence. Or flight, depending on the scenario and mindset of the subject.
Envy and greed stem from hunger, where one with no food will desire another's supplies.

Maybe I'm cynical and ridiculous, but that's sort of how I break down most emotions. Helps me to rationalize a harsh situation a little bit, ya know?

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:24 am

Assaultman67 wrote:They are what keeps our logic in check.
Indeed. Aside from the awesome Douglas Adams quote, it also stops us from being ruthless bastards who are completely selfish. If we were all like that, society could not function, and we would all be dead, unborn (and there would be no one in place of us), or barbarian stupid.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:12 am

adwuga wrote:Indeed. Aside from the awesome Douglas Adams quote, it also stops us from being ruthless bastards who are completely selfish. If we were all like that, society could not function, and we would all be dead, unborn (and there would be no one in place of us), or barbarian stupid.
And since men don't have emotions, half of all the people are ruthless, selfish bastards who do their best to keep the society from functioning. :wink:

Another thing wrong with that line of reasoning is to assume that a perfectly logical being couldn't understand morals, or be altruistic.

Any way, lets get on to emotions. Here's some that aren't discussed so much and aren't that commonly thought about.

1) An emotion you get when you are enjoy a sense of confusion or vertigo, when your sensory inputs are overloaded by strong impulses. The intense joy of riding a rollercoaster, the way people enjoy speeding in a car. It could also be experienced in a disco where there's lights and noise and smoke and people everywhere, or in a sports match when stuff is happening all around you and you're trying to keep up with it and it's safe and fun.

2) An emotion you get when you finish a project, such as building or crafting something tangible, or complete a task, or are otherwise able to put something complex behind you and have the chance to sit down for a while before you move on.

3) Myötähäpeä, a Finnish expression for when you feel a sense of shame, but for something or someone else, not for yourself. "A sense of shame generated by an external stimulus, made more powerful by a feeling of the originator of the shame not having the sense of feeling ashamed." Imagine someone only nominally associated with you, like someone who went to the same school you did, being pissed-out drunk and doing something incredibly stupid and/or embarrassing. You feel embarrassed yourself.

4) Fiero - the feeling of triumph. The feeling of scoring the winning goal. The feeling you get after kicking a wolf's ass as a ninja rabbit.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 am

This is exactly what we needed to derail next.
Assaultman67 wrote:
Mostly Harmless wrote:Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks.

Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. The easiest way to fool a completely logical robot is to feed it the same stimulus sequence over and over again so it gets locked in a loop. This was best demonstrated by the famous Herring Sandwich experiments conducted millennia ago at MISPWOSO (The MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Surprisingly Obvious).

A robot was programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches. This was actually the most difficult part of the whole experiment. Once the robot had been programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches, a herring sandwich was placed in front of it. Whereupon the robot thought to itself, `Ah! A herring sandwich! I like herring sandwiches.'

It would then bend over and scoop up the herring sandwich in its herring sandwich scoop, and then straighten up again. Unfortunately for the robot, it was fashioned in such a way that the action of straightening up caused the herring sandwich to slip straight back off its herring sandwich scoop and fall on to the floor in front of the robot. Whereupon the robot thought to itself, `Ah! A herring sandwich..., etc., and repeated the same action over and over and over again. The only thing that prevented the herring sandwich from getting bored with the whole damn business and crawling off in search of other ways passing the time was that the herring sandwich, being just a bit of dead fish between a couple of slices of bread, was marginally less alert to what was going on than was the robot.

The scientists at the Institute thus discovered the driving force behind all change, development and innovation in life, which was this: herring sandwiches. They published a paper to this effect, which was widely criticised as being extremely stupid. They checked their figures and realised that what they had actually discovered was `boredom', or rather, the practical function of boredom. In a fever of excitement they then went on to discover other emotions, Like `irritability', `depression', `reluctance', `ickiness' and so on. The next big breakthrough came when they stopped using herring sandwiches, whereupon a whole welter of new emotions became suddenly available to them for study, such as `relief', `joy', `friskiness', `appetite', `satisfaction', and most important of all, the desire for `happiness'.

This was the biggest breakthrough of all.

Vast wodges of complex computer code governing robot behaviour in all possible contingencies could be replaced very simply. All that robots needed was the capacity to be either bored or happy, and a few conditions that needed to be satisfied in order to bring those states about. They would then work the rest outfor themselves
I will never underestimate Douglas Adams' ability to make me laugh my ass off.

This:
Korban3 wrote:I pretty much attribute emotions to base instincts branching out into what society considers right and wrong.
Love and Lust, while generally considered rather polar, both stem from the biological urge to reproduce.
Anger stems from the natural reaction to a threat: Violence. Or flight, depending on the scenario and mindset of the subject.
Envy and greed stem from hunger, where one with no food will desire another's supplies.

Maybe I'm cynical and ridiculous, but that's sort of how I break down most emotions. Helps me to rationalize a harsh situation a little bit, ya know?
is biologically it. All emotions are present to facilitate our survival. To further our particular mix of genes by spreading our seed (I do pomegranate, but I've heard some prefer sunflower). To bring up an example Korban didn't, we throw up when we're scared or anxious because we run faster immediately after we throw up. We also throw up when we're in love. Our body treats being in love and being deathly afraid very similarly, actually.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:27 am

Douglas Adams is a genius. An absolute genius.
Puking = Better Running;
Better Running = Better Body;
Better Body = Girlfriend;
Puking = Girlfriend;

And it has all come full circle.