Entertainment Suggestions

Anything else
MelodyLaughter
Feral Cat

Entertainment Suggestions

Post by MelodyLaughter » Sun May 02, 2004 2:00 am

I have a few suggestions for anime, movies etc. to watch, whatever:

Gungrave - By the creator of Trigun and based on the videogame. At first I thought it was just really strangely named western cowboy stuff but it's actually very good so far. It's not just a violence-fest, it kinda shows how quickly lives can be gotten rid of (I dunno if that's redundant or what, but I think this is shown stronger in Gungrave...well whatever). It also has excellent music. The main character was called Brandon Heat and his new name is Beyond The Grave apparently but you get over it...

Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 - Funny, fanfiction/fanart-like, some good drama, great characters, David Carradine, small anime sequence, etc. Excellent (rent the first one, then quickly go to the theatre and watch the second).

Cure - Japanese movie by Kiyoshi Kurosawa (no relation to Akira Kurosawa). Very scary and incredibly shot. Great usage of sound.

Go ahead and post any movie, anime, cartoon, whatever suggestions you have in this thread.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Re: Entertainment Suggestions

Post by Lugaruman100 » Sun May 02, 2004 1:40 pm

MelodyLaughter wrote:Gungrave - By the creator of Trigun and based on the videogame. At first I thought it was just really strangely named western cowboy stuff but it's actually very good so far. It's not just a violence-fest, it kinda shows how quickly lives can be gotten rid of (I dunno if that's redundant or what, but I think this is shown stronger in Gungrave...well whatever). It also has excellent music. The main character was called Brandon Heat and his new name is Beyond The Grave apparently but you get over it...
Gungrave, good idea but very bad game.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Re: Entertainment Suggestions

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun May 02, 2004 1:58 pm

MelodyLaughter wrote:Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 - Funny, fanfiction/fanart-like, some good drama, great characters, David Carradine, small anime sequence, etc. Excellent (rent the first one, then quickly go to the theatre and watch the second).
Both of them were, to quote MacAddict, FREAKIN' AWESOME! My mom has almost no stomach for gore, yet she found the first very interesting, and the second one even better. My dad and I are fanatics about it, a friend of mine loved it, and my brother (who doesn't tend to love movies) thinks the first is quite good :)

Wootness, go see 'em, but make SURE you see the first first.

Gwymold
Can I have a title?

Post by Gwymold » Sun May 02, 2004 2:04 pm

I agree with all of what VZ said.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun May 02, 2004 3:43 pm

I recently got my 250 gig HD, so I've been downloading pretty much anything I come accross. Here's some stuff I've found:

Curb your Enthusiasm - This is probably the funniest TV series I've ever seen. I am probably going to buy the DVDs just out of support for the show. http://amazon.com/o/asin/B0000E2PVR

Penn & Teller - Bullshit! - Also a funny TV series, but it's not a sitcom. Basically Penn & Teller debunk stuff like bottled water, PETA, etc. It is incredibly satisfying. http://amazon.com/o/asin/B00019PDNY

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun May 02, 2004 3:45 pm

Man on Fire - I thought this movie was very good; all the actors are excellent and it's the only somewhat believable action movie I've seen in a long time. It's not all sanitized and Hollywoodized.

Naruto - Naruto is one of the best-animated anime series, and the episodes range from serious to hilarious. The plot and concept are very interesting as well; the only real problem is that fight scenes and such tend to drag on endlessly (i.e. spanning 5-10 episodes) and there are lots of flashbacks to earlier episodes.

Dawn of the Dead - I never saw the original, but I really liked the new one. Maybe I'm just a violent person.

Some neat TV shows:
Futurama
Law and Order
Touching Evil
ER
Family Guy
MXC

Some other random movies that come to mind; I don't know if they're my favorite but they're a few off the top of the head that I know I liked:
Adaptation
Apocalypse Now
Bandits
Blade Runner
Blazing Saddles
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Bulletproof Monk
Chicago
Clockwork Orange
Die Hard
Dogville
Dr. Strangelove
Evil Dead: Army of Darkness (or the whole series)
Forrest Gump
Full Metal Jacket
Ghost Dog
Gladiator
Intolerable Cruelty
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jin-Roh
The Interview
Lawrence of Arabia
The Legend of Drunken Master
Leon/ The Professional
Lonesome Dove
Master and Commander
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Mystic River
O Brother Where Art Thou
Open Range
Pulp Fiction
Red Dragon
Saving Private Ryan
The Shawshank Redemption
The Silence of the Lambs
South Park
Star Wars (4,5,6)
Starsky and Hutch
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Titan A.E.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
12 Angry Men
The Usual Suspects
Yellow Submarine

disc

Post by disc » Sun May 02, 2004 4:07 pm

Oh man, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of the best movies ever made....

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun May 02, 2004 4:08 pm

David wrote:Dawn of the Dead[/b] - I never saw the original, but I really liked the new one. Maybe I'm just a violent person.
Lugaru wouldn't suggest that.

Yeah though, besides Kill Bill, my favorite movies of all time (in no particular order) have got to be most of the DVDs we have:

Benny & Joon
True Lies
Pirates of the Caribbean
Independence Day
Shrek
Lilo & Stitch
Grosse Pointe Blank
And, of course, Kill Bill Vol. 1 8)

We don't have the TV here hooked up for TV, but every once in a while I go down to the other house and see two things: The Daily Show and South Park. South Park isn't as good as it used to be (it's now mostly political and cultural satire rather than sci-fi weird stupid stuff), but the Daily Show is as good as it's ever been :D

Woot woot, now I'm gonna go watch Big Fish (rental) with my parents and see whether or not it's as good as it was the first time -- my entire junior English class saw it at the theaters because it's 'magical realism' and we happened to be studying it at the time :o

MelodyLaughter
Feral Cat

Post by MelodyLaughter » Sun May 02, 2004 5:04 pm

Dogville is excellent. Highly recommended.

The things I like about Naruto are the characters, their relationships. etc. The flashback thing annoys me too though, hehe.

And I've always wanted to see The Good, the Bad and the Ugly but Blockbuster never has it (at least the one I go to).

An anime that I recommend is Hellsing. The story isn't exactly the greatest thing ever (HAH) but some of the characters are very, very original and different. The animation is really top knotch (sometimes they're not drawn as well as others but whatever), the music is very experimental and really a blast.

excalibur
are we there yet?
Location: Somewhere on earth... If you look long enough you will find me. Might take a while

Post by excalibur » Sun May 02, 2004 9:06 pm

Funniest TV show is Seinfeld. Master and Commander was a very good movie.

loki J Lo
What's "what's a computer"?

Post by loki J Lo » Sun May 02, 2004 9:09 pm

David wrote:Man on Fire - I thought this movie was very good; all the actors are excellent and it's the only somewhat believable action movie I've seen in a long time. It's not all sanitized and Hollywoodized.

Naruto - Naruto is one of the best-animated anime series, and the episodes range from serious to hilarious. The plot and concept are very interesting as well; the only real problem is that fight scenes and such tend to drag on endlessly (i.e. spanning 5-10 episodes) and there are lots of flashbacks to earlier episodes.

Dawn of the Dead - I never saw the original, but I really liked the new one. Maybe I'm just a violent person.

Some neat TV shows:
Futurama
Law and Order
Touching Evil
ER
Family Guy
MXC

Some other random movies that come to mind; I don't know if they're my favorite but they're a few off the top of the head that I know I liked:
Adaptation
Apocalypse Now
Bandits
Blade Runner
Blazing Saddles
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Bulletproof Monk
Chicago
Clockwork Orange
Die Hard
Dogville
Dr. Strangelove
Evil Dead: Army of Darkness (or the whole series)
Forrest Gump
Full Metal Jacket
Ghost Dog
Gladiator
Intolerable Cruelty
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jin-Roh
The Interview
Lawrence of Arabia
The Legend of Drunken Master
Leon/ The Professional
Lonesome Dove
Master and Commander
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Mystic River
O Brother Where Art Thou
Open Range
Pulp Fiction
Red Dragon
Saving Private Ryan
The Shawshank Redemption
The Silence of the Lambs
South Park
Star Wars (4,5,6)
Starsky and Hutch
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Titan A.E.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
12 Angry Men
The Usual Suspects
Yellow Submarine
Chicago, Gladiator, and Titan A.E. were all good movies. Yellow Submarine is just plain wierd. All the others I've either never seen or not seen for a long time.

excalibur
are we there yet?
Location: Somewhere on earth... If you look long enough you will find me. Might take a while

Post by excalibur » Sun May 02, 2004 9:18 pm

Titan A.E. was suprisingly good.

Gwymold
Can I have a title?

Post by Gwymold » Mon May 03, 2004 3:29 pm

All of the movies that VZ suggested were very good, but I didn't see Beverly Hill Cop anywhere. It's not exactly the best movie of all time, but I should think that it would be up here.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue May 04, 2004 3:27 pm

Gwymold wrote:All of the movies that VZ suggested were very good, but I didn't see Beverly Hill Cop anywhere. It's not exactly the best movie of all time, but I should think that it would be up here.
You saw every one of them? Woot :o

Gwymold
Can I have a title?

Post by Gwymold » Fri May 07, 2004 2:09 pm

Beverly hills cops? or all of your movies?