Ragdollmaster

Re: Errm..your favourite music?

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Avenged Sevenfold >:3

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 am

Man, I haven't heard Avenged Sevenfold in a long time.

gingergraves

Post by gingergraves » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am

naruto!!...Great!

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Russian Circles, fucking awesome post-rock/post-metal instrumental group. Basically the best study/homework music I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

droog

Post by droog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54 am

Huge fan of those three, although not so much a fan of Meshuggah's vocalist. Their instrumentation is insane though. And unrivalled. They've spawned an army of clones but none of them come close.

I tried to headbang to Meshuggah, but I don't know how.

I love Madeon. He's insane. And I'm pretty sure he's not even reached his 20's yet. Wait for the first drop at 0:38. Unreal.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I tried to headbang to Meshuggah, but I don't know how.
Usually you want to find the snare. At 1:25 on the other hand... I have no idea.

Speaking of headbanging... Jungle Rot is releasing new content again:

Some of their greatest songs to date:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Freshbite wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:I tried to headbang to Meshuggah, but I don't know how.
Usually you want to find the snare. At 1:25 on the other hand... I have no idea.
No no, that's a common Meshuggah joke. Their music changes time signatures so frequently that trying to headbang to it simply makes you look like someone having a photosensitive epileptic fit.

There's another one that goes something like "I tried to listen to Meshuggah, but I didn't understand calculus."

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:07 pm

i'm usually a pretty bad hipster when it comes to music, so I reluctantly clicked this thread, not expecting much, but this last page pleasantly surprised me with Russian Circles (oh I love Enter! it's one of the few CDs I actually bought), Tool, Aphex Twin, Meshuggah.. pretty damn good! :)

I listen to lots of different stuff ( http://www.last.fm/user/atommalac )

so let me contribute (and embed yet another youtube into this page so that it loads even more slowly :twisted: ) :

Secret Chiefs 3 are a multi-disciplinary group of insane people (several of them are ex-Mr.Bungle). A lot of their music incorporates Persian and Arabic traditional music, some dangerous rhythmic structures, as well as metal, electronics and more. Here's a small taste:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:No no, that's a common Meshuggah joke. Their music changes time signatures so frequently that trying to headbang to it simply makes you look like someone having a photosensitive epileptic fit.
Yeah they don't really make it easy for us.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Speaking of Meshuggah, this music video confused the hell out of me the first time I watched it.

Well, okay, it's still kind of confusing.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:i'm usually a pretty bad hipster when it comes to music, so I reluctantly clicked this thread, not expecting much, but this last page pleasantly surprised me with Russian Circles (oh I love Enter! it's one of the few CDs I actually bought), Tool, Aphex Twin, Meshuggah.. pretty damn good! :)
Credit for the nice taste, but none of those bands/artists are unknown. They're all fairly mainstream. Some of them have headlined a lot of the biggest festivals in Europe. :?

So I wouldn't call you a hipster. You shouldn't want to call yourself that, anyway. Liking things for the sake of them being obscure isn't a good trait, really. But good taste, Russian Circles are one of the few bands in the post-rock/post-metal bands that I really like, because they don't sound like every other one of them these days, i.e. Explosions In The Sky. Although EITS are good too.

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 am

you're right, these few aren't unknown.
i only used the h word because i've endured so many awkward conversations about music, where I felt like I'm the weirdo because someone couldn't guess the bands I listen to based on me being a long haired guy.

Speaking of cliché post-rock, I do listen to a lot of (maybe too much) post-rock, and from the top of my head I couldn't name one that really stands out from the others.. But then again post rock is just a label to put on things that sound postrock-ish the same way, ain't it :P

try Tangled Thoughts of Leaving, I think it's pretty interesting.
http://music.tangledthoughtsofleaving.c ... -fragments
http://music.tangledthoughtsofleaving.c ... the-fields

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 am

A lot of post-rock doesn't have much balls, but there's an Irish band that could fit loosely into that genre called And So I Watch You From Afar. They throw some of the most energetic gigs I've ever seen. Seen them live about three or four times and they've never been boring. Saw them just last night in the Forum in my little shitty city of Waterford. They're pretty much just epileptic instrumental rock with balls. Here's one of my favourites, they closed their set with it last night: