Errm..your favourite music?

Anything else
h2ostra

Re: Errm..your favourite music?

Post by h2ostra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I hate Sunn O))). Noise metal mediocrity. While recording vocals from the inside of a casket may sound like a nice gimmick, it doesn't do anything to mask the fact that they have a terrible sound. I'm all for being different, but honestly? How do you pick a melody or any sense of catchy sounds out of that? If you're going to say music isn't about melody or catchiness, I'm confused.
Well, yes, to me, music is much more an expression of emotion than a system of melody, harmony, and rhythm, and what I believe Sunn O))) are exceedingly good at (in their later work, at least. I haven't listened to much of their earlier stuff) is creating an emotional sonic atmosphere. They are masters of tension and release. If I want catchy music, I can hear that anywhere. Hell, they can program computers to do that.

And as far as the casket vocals, it should be noted that Malefic was claustrophobic, and they knew it. The "terrible sound" was exactly what they wanted, and exactly what I want to hear from this kind of music. This is not some guy sitting in a studio, singing about whatever, this is a man who is directly reacting to one of his greatest fears.

On a completely separate note, Trap Them:
http://www.last.fm/music/Trap+Them/_/Mi ... ?autostart

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Richie Rabbit wrote:
Armored Wolf wrote:What are you trying to do, kill me? Drive me insane?
:o

-places Richie on "foe" list-

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Armored Wolf wrote: -places Richie on "foe" list-

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:39 pm

I have decided that I shall no longer talk to Richie because of his Worst of YouTube spam.

That's my late New Year's Resolution: Don't talk to Richie!

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:Auto-tuned rappers = fail.
Haha I love people complaining about auto-tune, as if effects aren't allowed in music. Daft Punk are shit too (pioneers of auto-tune)! (insert rolling-eye smiley here)

Speaking of auto-tune, he only uses it in a few songs. Here's a song where he doesn't use it, and two covers of it.

h2ostra wrote:Well, yes, to me, music is much more an expression of emotion than a system of melody, harmony, and rhythm, and what I believe Sunn O))) are exceedingly good at (in their later work, at least. I haven't listened to much of their earlier stuff) is creating an emotional sonic atmosphere. They are masters of tension and release. If I want catchy music, I can hear that anywhere. Hell, they can program computers to do that.

And as far as the casket vocals, it should be noted that Malefic was claustrophobic, and they knew it. The "terrible sound" was exactly what they wanted, and exactly what I want to hear from this kind of music. This is not some guy sitting in a studio, singing about whatever, this is a man who is directly reacting to one of his greatest fears.
I don't like that type of pretentious music for the same reason that I don't like people who dress or act differently for the sake of dressing or acting differently. I'm all for being yourself, but going out of your way to be different is, well, annoying.
Armored Wolf wrote:I have decided that I shall no longer talk to Richie because of his Worst of YouTube spam.

That's my late New Year's Resolution: Don't talk to Richie!
Haha. I like Richie Rabbit. He's one of the few people on this forum who can actually make me grin. I would say laugh, but I don't ever recall myself laughing at anything I saw on this forum...except for stuff in the Engrish thread. At least he has a sense of humour, even if he is oddly obsessed with rabbits, squirrels and...cute animals in general. It's an endearing quality. I can't say I've found any of those in you.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Haha I love people complaining about auto-tune, as if effects aren't allowed in music.
I'm not complaining about auto-tune, I don't like auto-tuned rappers. I prefer rap without the auto-tune. Daft Punk is overrated but still cranks out some pretty good stuff.

Those songs without the auto-tune are much nicer.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Haha. I like Richie Rabbit. He's one of the few people on this forum who can actually make me grin. I would say laugh, but I don't ever recall myself laughing at anything I saw on this forum...except for stuff in the Engrish thread. At least he has a sense of humour, even if he is oddly obsessed with rabbits, squirrels and...cute animals in general. It's an endearing quality. I can't say I've found any of those in you.
I'm afraid you missed my point. My comment was not a serious comment. And I have no endearing qualities, so you can stop looking. ;)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:I'm not complaining about auto-tune, I don't like auto-tuned rappers. I prefer rap without the auto-tune. Daft Punk is overrated but still cranks out some pretty good stuff.
I love when people make a stupid point, and then try to cover it up with some technicality. There's no constructive or intelligent point that comes from saying "I don't mind auto-tune, rappers just aren't allowed to use it". Good point there, Aristotle.

Also, I love when people say "X is overrated", which is the equivalent of saying "X is good, but I'm going to find a way to complain about them anyway."

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Armored Wolf wrote:I'm not complaining about auto-tune, I don't like auto-tuned rappers. I prefer rap without the auto-tune. Daft Punk is overrated but still cranks out some pretty good stuff.

Also, I love when people say "X is overrated", which is the equivalent of saying "X is good, but I'm going to find a way to complain about them anyway."
No, when I say "X is overrated" I mean "X is not as good as all the people talking about them are saying they are while drooling over them like they are the best thing on the planet." In other words: "X is overrated."

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:41 pm

:shock:
Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:55 pm

XD.....roflmao

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote: I don't like that type of pretentious music for the same reason that I don't like people who dress or act differently for the sake of dressing or acting differently. I'm all for being yourself, but going out of your way to be different is, well, annoying.
[/color][/b]
While I would agree that much of the music out there that is termed "experimental" is just not very good, (I generally find it to be severely lacking in emotional power), there are many great musical artists that eschew the conventional notion of what music has to be, and I think they should be commended as such. I personally would not say that Sunn O))) are pretentious (probably just because I like them, though) for a couple of reasons. First, I wouldn't say they are being different for the sake of being different, particularly because they essentially started out as an Earth cover band, before moving in their own little direction. Second, they are far from the only band to be in this style of music (see Khanate, Boris, any number of other drone and dark ambient bands), and third, because I believe that experimentation such as this is necessary, as the conventional structures of popular music become exceedingly boring, contrived, and overall, emotionally washed out very quickly.

And now another musical contribution:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor (this would probably be one of the bands that I have the most respect for out of any group of musicians)

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 am

Daft Punk are the best thing on the planet.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Uberbeard wrote:Daft Punk are the best thing on the planet.
Lies! Where does Wolfire fit in?

Hey, we should auto-tune the Overgrowth rap.