Mac
63%
Windows
38%

Total votes: 24

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:44 am

Windows-on-Mac solutions such as Boot Camp and Parallels are essential for 'power users' using a Mac, but the statistics show that not many users are actually using them regularly. Mac users in general are not willing to put up with the effort of buying and setting up Windows; otherwise they would have gotten a PC in the first place. While you can theoretically run Windows apps on a Mac now, and it is essentially full speed, it is still costly in both time and money. Basically in a Mac OS vs. Windows discussion, it is not a victory for Mac OS if it lets you buy a copy of Windows to run Windows programs. That is like saying that apples are better than oranges, because if you have an apple and want citrus, you can always buy an orange to go with it. It is important to make it clear if we are talking about Apple hardware vs. non-Apple hardware, or Mac OS vs. Windows.

Basically in this case, Apple hardware is more expensive than equivalent non-Apple hardware, but the advantage is that it can run Mac OS. The question, then, is whether or not the OS is worth the price difference. I would argue that it usually is if you have a lot of spare cash, and you are an audiovisual professional, don't want to think about hardware issues, or want a cohesive user experience. A PC is usually a better choice if you are a business or software development professional or hardcore gamer, and you know how to build your own system and maintain your own hardware and software.

I don't think a Mac vs. PC debate even makes sense any more than an apples vs. oranges discussion does; it is really not a question of which is better, it is a question of personal taste and of what works best in what situation. I wouldn't drink apple juice with breakfast, nor would I want to eat orange pie. This thread exists because this is an eternal debate that always occurs on computer message boards, and if there is no specific place for it, it spills over into other threads. I think it is not really worth fighting about, but if people must fight about it, might as well confine it to this thread.

James M

Post by James M » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:54 am

Yeah agreed. macs are still better though

:P

By the way, if you have a Mac, you must check out the awesomeness that is "Swarm Racer". Its a free OS X arcade game with some very interesting ideas...

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:09 am

Kalexon wrote:I disagree, I believe Vista has been five years in the making? They were close to releasing it before, they ran a public beta test and found a huge amount of bugs so they took it back to the office and tryed to work them out. Time will tell, but I remain skeptical.
I don't think you are familiar with what alpha and beta mean. Regardless, Vista is now in its second Release Candidate stage. Maybe it will be delayed for a few weeks. Maybe even one month, which would raise hell and destroy Microsoft's stock. But half a year? That is absolutely ridiculous.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:51 pm

Good point, although the question is however what the final product compared to the other is. We've already had one person say that they prefer Leopard.
Last edited by Kalexon on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:17 pm

David wrote: I don't think a Mac vs. PC debate even makes sense any more than an apples vs. oranges discussion does; it is really not a question of which is better, it is a question of personal taste and of what works best in what situation.
Exactly what I was saying. I'm so proud I agreed with David :D

James M

Post by James M » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:28 pm

Kalexon wrote:Good point, although the question is however what the final product compared to the other is. We've already had one person say that they prefer Leapord.
Leapord? Whats that? That sounds awesome! Myself, im looking forward to Leopard. :P

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:05 pm

The new Macintosh OS. It's surprisingly not that different, but I love Spaces and Dashcode. Check it all out on the Apple website.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:21 pm

Keep the grammar-correcting to the Grammar thread, James M. :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:56 pm

leDoOd wrote:Keep the grammar-correcting to the Grammar thread, James M. :P
Uhh, what the hell are you talking about? Grammar correcting? I don't think that happened, DoOd.
Last edited by Zantalos on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:10 pm

Neither did I, until I looked closer at the post. :wink:

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 pm

Zantalos wrote: Grammer correcting?
I'd work on your spelling first.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:57 pm

Ahh, gotcha.

Spellunk.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:33 am

Zantalos wrote:Spellunk.
I think that one of the more technically correct versions of that is spelunking. :P

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm

Let-us-say-for-a-moment-that-Mac-rules.
I-have-found-after-my-my-mates-came-to-my-house-to-do-some-gaming-they-thought-Holy-crap-a-mac.
They-tryed-it-and-now-they-like-em.

PCs-are-good.
But-i-think-that-Pc-is-not-the-best-term-for-it.
PC-means-Personal-Computer.
Personal-is-youre-owen-for-youre-owen-use.
a-comador-Amega-could-be-clased-as-a-PC.
Same-with-a-mac.

I-belive-that-PC-is-not-the-best-name.
We-could-be-talking-about-Alien-ware
or-posably-Intel-4-or-XP.

This-conflict-must-end.
Or-are-you-all-who-wish-to-coninue-youre-preach-of-Macevangelism-adicted-to-Conflict?
It-seems-to-me-that-these-people-who-continue-the-battle-of-PC-vs-MAC-want-to-fight-about-somthing.

WHY?
Why-cant-we-get-over-our-Differences?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:51 pm

Yes, PC is a misnomer.