My Current Project - Visual Novel Game - Facts for English

Anything else
SouthpawHare

My Current Project - Visual Novel Game - Facts for English

Post by SouthpawHare » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Hello everyone.

I've previously been speaking here about my Fighting/Strategy Game Fimbulvetr, which I had to put on hold for a time due to being employed to work on another project. Well, at last, I've been allowed to publicly post a video as a teaser of this project, which have previously been private, showing the work we've done so far. Check it out:

The game is a visual novel style game with an educational twist - it is designed to promote the pamphlet included in the game, which in turn promotes tips and reminders on speaking and writing English correctly. The story, involving time travel to a future where English has degraded into leetspeak and bad Internet memes, is intended to be silly and humorous, while still providing some educational benefit.

We're hoping for feedback and criticism on a lot of things - really, as much as possible. The story, the humor, the pacing, the puzzles, the voice acting... all of it is fair game, and we appreciate as much as you're willing to give =)

Thanks again, everyone!
Last edited by SouthpawHare on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coincidence

Re: My Current Project - Visual Novel Game - Facts for Engli

Post by Coincidence » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:25 pm

I don't have a YouTube account yet, so I'll just comment here.

It's both funny and I think informative for a basic level of English.

Have you ever read "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by George Orwell? I was reminded of it when you said that the premise was that a time traveler went to the future and discovered that the English language had devolved. There was an idea perpetuated in that novel that it is possible to reduce a person's ability to think creatively and logically by limiting their vocabulary. Perhaps you could touch on this in the game in a subtle and light-hearted manner. I think it would definitely be doubleplusgood if you did.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 pm

^ This
Cool, I got a couple of good laughs out of this, mostly from the officer. Glad to see you're not dead! Awesome project too. English is a hard language, so it's cool to see a fun game that is witty and educational.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:02 am

This needs to be hyped.
It is noble and good.

I command you all to spam it everywhere.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 am

Everyone! The great Glabbit has issued his command and his command is clear.

We must make this humble video known amoungst the internet! Hup to it! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!

And if I catch you slouching it will be a gallows for you!

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Wow guys! Thanks a lot for the support and reception, it really means a lot to us!

Beyond feedback, it would indeed be awesome to gain as much exposure as possible. If you guys are willing, feel free to spam the crap out of this video as you please :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:46 am

Oh fuck yeah.
Spam Mode: Engaged... After work tomorrow. I have to go to bed right away or I won't get enough sleep.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:14 am

Korban3 wrote:After work tomorrow. I have to go to bed right away or I won't get enough sleep.
Korban3, you are slouching! You remember what I said about slouching, don't you?

TO THE STOCKS!

Tie his hands down to a computer keyboard until this video is the most viewed thing on the entire internet. I don't care if it takes you until the day of your death to do it. It will be done!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Sorry. Today's my only day off this week and I plan to use it :D
LET'S DO SOME PAINTING
WOOGAWOOGAWOOGAWOOGAWOOGA

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Just a minor update. The previous video has been modified slightly, and re-uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEO4suIjTE0

The next, new video will be coming out for this Sunday.

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Here we are, the latest scene that has been fully completed:

There's still a few problems to work out with some of the dialog lines - for instance, the characters refer to Billiam as yelling more loudly than he actually seems to - but overall, we're pretty proud of this scene. I think it really captures both the mood and gameplay style of what we're going for.

Oh, and Quenton's voice actor has changed - you'll definitely notice that he sounds very different.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I got a kick out of this scene. Are you guys going to do the recordings for Billiam again, so that he matches up with the other characters' dialogue?
Billiam is pretty funny, I liked the bit at the end.

So...
Fimbulvetr. When?
Because I kind of miss hearing about it :lol:

SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:06 am

Yes, a few of Billiam's lines are off in terms of the yelling. My friend who is doing him says that he is having a hard time yelling in that voice, but I'll get him to do something. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

As for Fimbulvetr, it is fully postponed for the duration of this project. Originally, this project was going to be completed after around another month or two from now, but that was before we decided on the voice-acting. That will add several more months on top of that. It's not TOO long, but expect this to be going on for a while longer, and for there to be no Fimbulvetr updates during that time. Of course, nevertheless, I really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm about it! In the meantime, feel free to show off some of the old Fimbulvetr videos. The view count on my videos is depressingly low... most of my videos don't break 100 views and 2 comments (and those two comments are usually you, and me responding to you). Any help you can give toward further exposure would be a huge help.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:49 am

hey, I enjoy watching all of your videos, though I don't know that I've watched all of them, just the once that you've posted

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:06 am

Midnight Spam Mode: Engaged