Sui generis melts your eyes to pummely dust

Anything else
nutcracker

Sui generis melts your eyes to pummely dust

Post by nutcracker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 am

Have you guys seen this yet? It's like the phoenix engine on crack (Actually I feel it's very similiar to the phoenix engine, just more finished) and it looks amazing. Also, the combat looks fab and fun. I can't wait fo this shizz. It's probably gonna be the first kickstarter project I'm going to support.

Edit: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... ui-generis Link for the kickstarter
Last edited by nutcracker on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Korban3

Re: Sui generis melts your eyes to pummely dust

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:58 am

Oh god, this is everything I want in an RPG. I loved the part with the minotaur. Got his shit fucked up hard. And yeah, this does remind me of the Pheonix engine a bit.
Just another Kickstarter I can't spare the casht to back, though. But it's so damn cool. I'm sure he'll get his funds easily and I can't wait to see it come out.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 pm

I doubt OG will ever look this nice, and I doubt even the physics will be that good(not talking about characters, I think OG has a good compromise there). That lighting(indirect lighting!) is amazing, those shadows are nicer than OG's baked shadows, and while I think OG will have worse physics, it won't be noticeably worse. Also, they have an awesome terrain and sky editor that I don't expect to see in OG. Problems with that game are the characters movements look kind of retarded(that's the compromise I was talking about that OG did better with), and also, I hate RPGs. It does look awesome though. In short, I still think OG will still be a better game, but not as nice looking, and without easy yet still awesome sky/terrain editing. Who knows though...

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 am

I loved the animations. But that's because I'm a huge fucking tech nerd and can see when he is using physics to swing the weapons and to dodge, rather than pre-made keyframe animations.
That's why the animations look silly. OG uses keyframed traditional animation, albeit with lots of physicsy goodness mixed in. This game appears to use nothing but physics based animation, or at least 80% of it is. So, I put them on par for animation tech.
Yeah, dat sky editor.
Shadows and lighting are beyond what I expect and would honestly want for OG. Lighting is one of my favorite things to see, but I can imagine that it'd eat up dev time for OG pretty hard. Besides, dem shadows are crazy and I doubt there will be many indoor scenes that will warrant that kind of lighting.
I'm hoping this RPG won't be a grind fest, an the fight with minotaur thing would hopefully highlight this. If the player had been better at moving to and from the monster, as well as side stepping better, he might not have been smashed so epicly.

EDIT: Honestly, I'm having a hard time getting over the physics in combat.
My two favorite parts are where the guy gets launched into the fruitstand, stuggles to stand up and promptly gets bashed in the face, while the second is right at the end, where he gets lifted up and slung around by the flail. So much fuck yeah.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 am

Bare in mind guys that this is still early early pre alpha, so it's no where near done. Besides OG this is one of the only games that have made my ballsacks rattle of enjoyment. Also, the developers are aware that the animations look a bit wonky at the moment and they said that after the kickstarter they will hire a professional animator. And I hope that animator is there only to make it a little nicer looking and not making actual "animations" for any unit because the current system looks molestable and fun.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 am

nutcracker wrote:because the current system looks molestable and fun.
And that's the best part of it :D

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:17 am

This. Eyes need to be kept on it.

Also I like how the first article I find about it also subtly mentions Overgrowth.
Mmm.

Oh, and since I didn't see anyone post the link to the actual kickstarter, here it is.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 am

Glabbit wrote:Oh, and since I didn't see anyone post the link to the actual kickstarter, here it is.
It was actually my intention to have that in my last post but I just kinda forgot :D

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Korban3 wrote:I loved the animations. But that's because I'm a huge fucking tech nerd and can see when he is using physics to swing the weapons and to dodge, rather than pre-made keyframe animations.
That's why the animations look silly. OG uses keyframed traditional animation, albeit with lots of physicsy goodness mixed in. This game appears to use nothing but physics based animation, or at least 80% of it is. So, I put them on par for animation tech.
I agree, and I love the system they are using as well, but it looks retarded. If they can make it look better, that would be amazing.
Korban3 wrote: Yeah, dat sky editor.
Shadows and lighting are beyond what I expect and would honestly want for OG. Lighting is one of my favorite things to see, but I can imagine that it'd eat up dev time for OG pretty hard. Besides, dem shadows are crazy and I doubt there will be many indoor scenes that will warrant that kind of lighting.
Yeah, I agree again. Either way, both games look nice enough for me(maybe too nice, might have to lower the settings :cry: )

NoSkillz

Post by NoSkillz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:43 am

Oh my this looks wonderful. Looks like everyone thinks the animations look silly.
The dev mentioned that they are using physics based muscle control on the characters, which is very hard to get quite right. The AI and player characters honestly look like blundering fools with hardly enough balance to swing a sword. Our brain does so much as far as movement and balance goes, that it is surprising how difficult it is to simulate. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge physics fan, and I love what they're doing, but I believe that the character movement will require a whole lot more testing, tweaking, and fixing before people will really enjoy it.
You could almost describe the movement as falling into an "uncanny valley" of almost right, but just wrong enough to make it weird.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:30 am

I think you're forgetting the fact that that physics engine they're showing right there is no more than an intermediary phase, meaning that all that tweaking you mentioned is the bare minimum of what they'll still be doing.
It's a kickstarter. They're only just starting.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 am

From the looks of it, they might not make it. What happens if they fail :/?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:57 am

Then we laugh at them for setting their goals too high, and cry when we think no one's looking

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:10 am

Looks so amazing...