Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Old-school styled JRPG blending real-time action and turn-based combat elements with gorgeous aesthetics and an uncomplicated but easy to enjoy story and main character. Haven't personally had a chance to play it but it's getting shining critical reviews all 'round from what I can tell, so discuss.

Endoperez

Re: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm

(Ghibli + Zelda)^PS3 + Joe Hisaishi * Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra = unbelieavably gorgeous

With the gameplay also being praised, there's only one thing to say: I have no PS3. :cry:

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Endoperez wrote:(Ghibli + Zelda)^PS3 + Joe Hisaishi * Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra = unbelieavably gorgeous

With the gameplay also being praised, there's only one thing to say: I have no PS3. :cry:
Me neither.
Not planning on getting one either.

But, damn, games like this one and Journey really make me doubt sometimes.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 pm

There're plenty of other exclusives, too, and the console's getting relatively cheap. Come next Christmas I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it dropped as low as $200, though likely it'll be around $250. But yeah, definitely looking forward to picking this up sometime.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm

So...so far I've played 2 hours into Wrath of the White Witch. I've spent 1:15 walking between cutscenes and 0:45 walking between tutorials. All while listening to "NEATO!" and some terrible Welsh....thing, named Drippy try to be Scottish....or something...Although in consolation I did get to make Oliver sign his name as "Bollocks" and name his first not-pokemon "Ass-bag". Then comes Bag Fuck, Fuck Bucket, Bucket Mullet, Mullet Pickle...and so on. Honestly, the game has been a bit slow so I can't really give a good "yay" or "nay" impression yet.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Please do when you can, so that I know whether I'm sixty bucks poorer by default or not x:

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Game update:
GRIND GRIND GRIND NEATO NICKERS BUM GRIND GRIND GRIND NICKERS BUM GRIND GRIND BROOOOOKENHEARTS NEATO NICKERS BUM
oontzoontzoontzoontzoontzoontzoontzoontzoontzoontzoontzoontz

Oliver is a dolt. I know he's a child but his "NEATO!" is starting to get on my nerves. I'm wondering if the Japanese dialogue would be a better choice. I'll try switching to that.

Gameplay wise, Ni No Kuni is really fun. Assuming you don't mind grinding (which I don't particularly like), and if you enjoy real-time combat (which I like) mixed with not-pokemon switching. Its like a "Tales of..." game mixed with Pokemon and a bit of Trusty Bell (Eternal Sonota) mixed in. I only have one familiar at the moment, but when you hit the enemy they occasionally drop little blue and green balls that represent HP and MP so you can get a slight boost during combat to keep going. Your familiars have an energy bar that depletes as they get used so once you have more you'd have to switch them out or put in your main characters.

Of course I don't need to mention graphics, you can look at screenshots and measure those yourself. Studio Ghibli, Level-5...blahblahblahblahblahblah....

I'll post more later. But even with its rather silly characters and storyline, Ni No Kuni is growing on me...like a tumor...maybe.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:02 pm

I wouldn't have wanted to touch the english dialogue with a twenty-foot pole anyhow. Or even listen to it from twice that distance.
So I'm in there.

Sounds like the perfect pastime for a slow and uneventful summer.
Welp, looks like I'll be spending some dosh in the future then.
I wonder if I can hold out long enough to get a second hand version or something...

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Also, look at this thing. This 300+ page book comes with the special edition. I have the English version sitting next to me. Its the Wizard's Companion book that's in-game.

EDIT:
On another note, when I said Pokemon-like, I really had no idea how on the mark that really was. I just got a tutorial on how to change my familiar's moves and that they can only know a certain number of moves and have to forget moves to learn others.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:50 am

Oh shit.
That book looks delicious.
Is... is it leather-bound? Are those corners actual metal?
Dammit, Gray, I want to have money to spend!

And that move-forgetting thing... well shit.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:09 am

It isn't leather bound but it is hardback. It has a fake leather texture with fake gilding and a texture that feels like its been sewn together. Its printed on a paper that makes it look weathered and old and has full-color printing. The book is a replica of the book that's featured in the game itself called "The Wizard's Companion". It is an in-game item you can access from the main menu and read from cover-to-cover (Yes, all 300+ pages of it). Although in-game some of the pages are missing and you have to go around collecting them all.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am

I thought it would be something like that... but that's still fantastic!

It's fully in-game too? That's fairly neat as well, but no excuse not to get the hardware version!

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 am

The only way to get the book now is through eBay. Namco Bandai had some inventory issues and errors were made when accepting payments, so not only are they sold out, but some people aren't getting their preordered special editions at all.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:17 am

Yes, browsing the 'net I've found it's pretty much impossible to get the special edition at this point, which makes me a disappointed Glunny.

I wonder if they're going to take this silliness as an excuse to make more of those special edition books. Because that would be lovely.
I don't care much for the plushie, but I sure as sam hill am eyein' that there book like a... like a...
Like a guy with an inexplicable obsession of getting his bookcase to look as oldtimey and leathery and wizardy as possible.

Not saying that's me, of course.