Archive of Notable Events

Anything else
Glabbit

Re: Archive of Notable Events

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:A world full of nicey-nice goody-two-shoes would make me want to hang myself.
adwuga wrote:I totally agree.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't, because in such a world you'd have grown up to be one too.
However, I see what you mean and I think you might have a bit of a twisted idea of what I mean by 'nice people'; I'm not offering a world full of incessant smiles and frozen grins that crack at the edges when you step out of protocol as these things are often presented by films and such that disagree with the concept, but more a place where there would be mutual respect and above all consideration: none of this stupidly bureaucratic profit-chasing capitalism, just a well thought-out system with a healthy interest in all sciences and arts, and of course the fair distribution of resources. (note: fair does not necessarily mean equal)

It would kind of be like Star Trek, TNG and later, where Earth's famine and such has been "solved", heck if I know how, with the use of coordinated and willing cooperation of all nations. This would leave us more adventurous people to either seek out dangerous/thrilling hobbies like rockclimbing or whatever, or join Starfleet.

If you'd rather go join the Klingons or become the Jango Fett, you are free to do so, and godspeed!

And Timbles?
You dead.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:47 am

Glabbit wrote:You dead.
I'm making the most out of my life before Adwuga's terrible damnation of my claim appears in his avatar.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:51 am

A wise move, even though the chances of you granting yourself a fulfilling life before the calamity are immensely remote.
I will tell you a story of how I was claimed by the corruptio- Wait a minute, I'm still here!
I'm aliiiiiiive!

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 am

It's like I'm diagnosed with cancer.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:55 am

Yes.
Adwuga is like sexy cancer.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:56 am

Glabbit wrote:Adwuga is like sexy cancer.
I hope that doesn't count

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:03 am

Don't worry about me, son... it's too late for me.
Now git orf me lawn, stop corrupting the thread further, and find me some nostalgiathreads!
*waves walkingstick around*

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 am

Glabbit wrote:stuff
But the point is that a world like that where everyone is nice, cheerful and agreeable would be hollow and fake. It goes against our nature as people to accept the equilibrium. To quote humanity's view on every great thing there's ever been:
Humanity wrote:Yeah, I'd say I could probably find a way to fuck that up if you give me enough time...

And that's what makes it interesting. A lack of conflict, and what do we do then? Look at the fucking stars? Nothing would get done. I hope that stab at capitalism wasn't inferring that we'd be better off without a monetary system, because that'd be ridiculous. Take away the incentive and people aren't the astro-physicists someone might think they are inside. People are lazy and workshy as much as they can afford to be, as long as they have a way to facilitate themselves. Unless they have something driving them. And it all leads down the same road, success, money and fame. Take those things away from people and you might as well shoot most of them.

That shitty Zeitgeist movie really brought that concept into the mainstream domain, and I hate it for that. It's a terrible idea.

Well that went massively off-tangent. I do apologise.

Glabbit

Re: A Notable Event

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 am

You're being cynical.
I can't really blame you for that, because you're right in that humanity has this massive talent to fuck things up big time even in short time.
Where you're wrong is that things would be hollow and fake if everyone was genuinely nice. Where you're right is that is a ridiculously idealistic state of being which will be practically impossible to truly achieve from the current starting point.
You've been arguing for humanity as it is now; I was speaking of a hypothetical "pure" type of non-bastard humanity which I'm sure we all know does not as such exist.

And yes, lack of conflict. What would get done? The dishes, for one. Roommates would actually care to help each other out with housework. Work would still have to be done to get food on the table, monetary system or no. The world wouldn't fall into non-action. Stagnate a little, perhaps, but there will always be the ever-interested science geeks who continue to push things forward, and people (barring gamers and such) would gladly help them because it would mean something interesting to do.
Things would slow down, yes, but that just means you've got time to think.
Shoot most of them? If that's what it takes to build Utopia, one might argue it's a fair deal. See, Adwuga was right; I'm an evil git, secretly. Although D&D players might sooner say 'Chaotic Good'.

There is certainly no need to apologise. This has been quite the enjoyable discussion.
I have no clue what movie you're on about, though.

Edit: Oh look! We kind of turned the Notable Events thread into a notable event itself... Coolcoolcool, metametameta.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 am

Timbles wrote:I'm making the most out of my life before Adwuga's terrible damnation of my claim appears in his avatar.
I bet you would find it more annoying if he'd not.

... or you're doing this with that in mind, thinking he will notice and grant your actual demand which is to not add it to his avatar... Clever girl...

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm

I find it funny how you reveal his (potential) plan to me, thus ruining it. You really are a backstabbing traitor.

Either way, that plan(if it really was one) wouldn't have worked. I add avatars primarily to lengthen my e-penis. Not adding it just to fuck with him would be like an e-boner, that is, a temporary increase in length. An avatar is permanent.
Glabbit wrote:stuff
If people were genuinely nice, some things would be better, but I would be an entirely different person, and being who I am, I can't want that. If I were changed and placed into this world, I'm sure I would love it though.

As for stuff getting done, you have to consider competition vs cooperation, and the fact that nearly everyhing you do adversely affects someone else. It's a lot to consider, and I'm not convinced that it would be good or bad

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm

adwuga wrote:I find it funny how you reveal his (potential) plan to me, thus ruining it. You really are a backstabbing traitor.
My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:... People are lazy and workshy as much as they can afford to be, as long as they have a way to facilitate themselves. Unless they have something driving them...
So why have I put 3 hours in extra so far this week when I only have to work 9-5? I am not even remotely afraid of losing my job. I am paid shit, and know I will not be receiving a raise this year.

Shit, my boss has and will be talking to suppliers all week and is out of town.

I could apply to a different company and receive a 25% increase in pay instantly. I have nothing really tying me down to this area. At the normal raise rate that my company gives out now, it would take me over 10 years just to get to the entry level for other companies.

I honestly ask why I do this myself!

Logically, I should get a different job and leave, but I haven't seriously attempted to do so.

The only reason I can think of is that I take pride in what I do. (Is this the driving factor you're talking about?)

People would still work, granted, the "economy" wouldn't be as fast growing, but people need something to do. If everyone did nothing, no one would have anything to appreciate.

Otherwise, how the hell did we get to where we are today? People put in effort to advance society and technology, even when it wasn't required.

Granted, money is good at motivating the unmotivated, but true advances will be made by those who are simply passionate about what they do.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Not to the same degree I don't think. You can say money isn't influencing your will to work as much as you do, but if you do, I won't believe you.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 am

Tell me.

What would you do if society collapsed and the concept of money no longer existed.

There would be no media to enjoy, no books to read, no place to stay ...

Sounds pretty fuckin' boring to me.