Any good free/opensource video editing software?

Anything else
RagdollZombie

Any good free/opensource video editing software?

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by RagdollZombie on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

akazi

Re: Any good free/opensource video editing software?

Post by akazi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 pm

I would like to know as well, I have looking but haven't really found anything.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 am

Blender 3D. Because someone thought that it would be a good idea to make a 3D modeling program that is also a 3D sculpting program that is also used for texture painting that is also a game engine that is also a video editor.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCO-GcNAlAY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdMFCdoydKw

It's a bit clunky, but works, and since it uses Blender's normal render export plugins you have some nice choices for the final file format.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

woah I never knew blender could do that xD

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 pm

running into a problem. I record Overgrowth with Bandicam (the free version) and I was testing an Overgrowth clip in the Blender video sequence editor, but the sound and video are way out of sync... I checked to see if the framerate matches the video properties and the sound and video are the same length:

blender VSE out of sync.png

The running sounds start seconds before turner actually starts running in the video clip, but I am unsure on how to fix it. I don't have much experience in this part of blender... The video is an AVI recorded from a program called Bandicam.

Sound synch might not be important for a silent tutorial video, but it would be if i were to make any other video with audio and video in synch...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:55 am

Is this in the editor, or in the final video rendered out from Blender? The realtime preview probably can't synch audio and video, but if you render it out, it might work.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Endoperez wrote:Is this in the editor, or in the final video rendered out from Blender? The realtime preview probably can't synch audio and video, but if you render it out, it might work.
Ah okay so that might explain it

Edit:
I fixed the sync
and Sorry for being a newb, but Is there anyway to pan and zoom on a specific part of the video? Either blender seems to lack such an important part of video editing or I am lost... This is really important because I promised I would make a character tutorial for the forums, and I'm really looking forward to working on it during my spring break, but I really need a feature where I can pan and zoom on any part of a video frame at any section of the video...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 am

RagdollZombie wrote:I fixed the sync
and Sorry for being a newb, but Is there anyway to pan and zoom on a specific part of the video? Either blender seems to lack such an important part of video editing or I am lost... This is really important because I promised I would make a character tutorial for the forums, and I'm really looking forward to working on it during my spring break, but I really need a feature where I can pan and zoom on any part of a video frame at any section of the video...

There should be, but it's a bit awkward to use. Using sliders instead of an easy-to-use visual thing.

Choose the clip ("movie strip") you want to zoom/pan. From the menu under the strips, choose Add - Effect Strip - Transform.
The transform should appear as a green effect strip above the part you had selected. You can now click on the green bar, and the Edit Strip property window on the right should should have an "Effect Strip" panel under the "Edit Strip". In Effect Strip, the sliders for position let you pan, and the sliders for scale (check Uniform!) lets you zoom.

If you haven't used keyframing yet...
By default, the effect strip changed the whole clip at once. If you want to animate pan and zoom, you have to add keyframes. You do this by right-clicking on the slider, or hovering above a slider and pressing 'i' for Insert Keyframe. The slider's color should change.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:52 am

Blender doesn't seem to be very good for video editing... However I've found that Adobe is giving out legal copies of old versions of some of their programs (version CS2 only) and I can use Adobe Premiere Pro for free. Yes its very old, but its something. And it was actually made for video editing xD