How can A computer Mouse be 3D?

Anything else
bloodycoathanger

How can A computer Mouse be 3D?

Post by bloodycoathanger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:40 am

heres how.

so lets say that red stick is the hilt of the sword, moving the mouse controls the rotation of the ball, then holding click and swinging controls the swing of the sword, as well as its rotation and angles.
it could make a very in depth sword play mechanic., with alot of tinkering and custom work.
i beleive this type of system has been implemented in games like penumbra and amnesia, though not for combat.

EPR89

Re: How can A computer Mouse be 3D?

Post by EPR89 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 am

This is still unintuitive when compared to other 3D controls. Your are still limited in how you can move by the limitations of the mouse. With VR taking shape rapidly through stuff like Kinect, Oculus Rift and the Omni I don't really see a future for something like this.
Not really sure how that sword mechanic of yours is supposed to work. In the video the guy was only talking about positioning an object in 3D. Adding rotation on top of that without additional controls doesn't work. At least, I don't see how it could.
Check out Die by the Sword if you want to see a game that featured a mouse controlled sword arm. It was interesting when I played it, but ultimately it was just awkward as hell.

bloodycoathanger

Post by bloodycoathanger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 am

best way to put it is, how to bring the feeling of a sword to a mouse is what im looking for.

to be more specific, the guy who wanted to know about how a mouse can be 3d, was talking about making a sword game, with reciever style mechanics.
full freedom of sword slashes, not fixed axis, pre-animated list of sword swings,(doesnt want to pres x for thrust y for parry, etc) but be able to kind of flick around and do perhaps even somwehat realistic hand motions, without the need for custom hardware or Virtual reality.
Not really sure how that sword mechanic of yours is supposed to work. In the video the guy was only talking about positioning an object in 3D. Adding rotation on top of that without additional controls doesn't work. At least, I don't see how it could.
in this video i show what id want to replicate, the mouse motion i would use, and then what the 3d model would do.

now i know this is just a somewhat simple motion without x rotation, but here is how i would use a 3d ball mechanic, to simulate a thrust with a knife.

i know it would take some work, to make it feel kinda intuitive. but i do see some potential for some serious, hard core, Hi skill cap sword action. i really do.

the idea here is to get somewhat reciever style mechanics,(freedom of movement, not pre- set list of slash attacks) into a sword game. and this method leaves the entire left hand free to do other controls like controlling the location of the ball itself,
or , if we could use this mechanic in a crazy FPSword/Tower defense hybrid, moving shields and guns into place, not unlike the unstoppable gorg, but in 3d. ship vs ship.

i DONT make games, in any way, and i know it would take tons of work, but i think there is an interesting mechanic somewhere in there.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:15 am

Minority Report.

Anyone of you seen that? Do you not vividly remember the scene with the controller-gloves, reacting to movements in all three dimensions, altering effects with each finger's clenching and unclenching?
We have the technology, or soon will, at least. Any clue how intuitive such things could become?
Man, I can't wait.

bloodycoathanger

Post by bloodycoathanger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 am

i know exactly what you are talking about, and we do have gloves Kinda like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9wWnI5pnpo
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9wWnI5pnpo[/YouTube]
just take taht and combine it with the Move or something like that.
also while on this topic, the falon haptic feedback mouse. with optional pistol attachment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe6ylFvJFKc
Check out Die by the Sword if you want to see a game that featured a mouse controlled sword arm. It was interesting when I played it, but ultimately it was just awkward as hell.
someone else mentioned this earlier, ill have to check it out

its hard to say without controllling it myself, but yea i think that die by the sword is probbaly close to what im talking about

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 am

Space Navigator is a controller designed to manipulate 3D space, such as when 3D modeling.

There will be actual wearable or hand-held controllers with motion sensors and stuff in a few years, the difficulty in making e.g. a sword game using those is making it fun, not too tiring, and (for some games) realistic.