Volo Airsport

Anything else
Froggie

Volo Airsport

Post by Froggie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm

As I got back from a year of not playing games much (no good computer or internet connection at art school) I downloaded the (at the time) latest alpha as soon as I could. As it was downloading I decided to check up on some other indie games I've taken an interest in, and as it turns out there is now a free playable alpha of one.

For anyone who's unfamiliar with it, Volo Airsport is about wingsuit flying.

Anyone who's interested in more natural flying games than what the current AAA industry is providing really do need to check it out.
It's free at the moment, but I encourage anyone who likes what they see to support the guy through feedback or donations.
Windows and Mac versions are out, with a Linux version on its way.

The only downside at the moment is that you need a game controller hooked up to your computer for it to work, as it can't read mouse and keyboard controls. The Xbox 360 is the native, but I've made the PS2 controller work as well.

Anyone played it?
What do you think about it?

I've only spent an hours or two on it, but I can say that I'm desperate for more of this kind of game.

EPR89

Re: Volo Airsport

Post by EPR89 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Holy cow!
Despite there being only one map this is incredible. Finding your very own line or setting yourself challenges is really cool. I think the look on my face when I set my current speed record (302 km/h; no crash allowed when pulling out of the dive) and barely missed a few trees on the way back into a normal gliding position must have been pretty epic.

Froggie

Re: Volo Airsport

Post by Froggie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:05 pm

I know, the feeling of speed is just incredible. I've found myself freaking out and panicking when things got to fast.
When there are some more levels, or when there's a level editor to make your own I expect to see a lot of cool maps pop up.

Have you tried staying up for as long as possible? Gliding over the island or rounding it in spirals?
Flying on your back (possible but difficult, you'll need to use the legs and arm keys) or doing rolls when flying down a line?

There's so much potential in this that it's going to be difficult for me to wait for the next alpha, or the full game for that matter.

I really do hope that this guy catches a break and gets in with whatever distribution system he's aiming for.
Between this, Overgrowth and Kerbal Space Program I think I'm set for a good part of the future.