In desperate need of artist(s) for a video game

Anything else
Stuntddude

In desperate need of artist(s) for a video game

Post by Stuntddude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am

I've been working with a couple friends of mine on a video game for a while now. We have a musician (me), a programmer, and an artist. Recently, though, our artist has been busy and unable to keep up with the pace of the project on his own.

I know it's asking a lot for any of you to commit to this, and I can't guarantee you will be paid/compensated at all if you decide to, but we have a lot invested in seeing this project through to completion, so if anyone is willing to join the team and help us out with the art, we're more than happy to have you.

Anyone who can do pixel art and is willing to help work on a video game is welcome, but if nobody is interested then I understand. I don't mean to force this on any of you.

Endoperez

Re: In desperate need of artist(s) for a video game

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am

You basically need someone who is a fan of what you do. You won't get 'fans' like that until they have something they might like. I assume you don't want to post "too much" yet. IMO game ideas and game art concepts are nearly worthless until you have a working prototype using that art, but whatever, I'm not going to argue and assume you'll only post more info for anyone who shows interest.
However, you should post examples of the art you're making. That way someone might think "hey I can do that", and might ask you for more info, and then maybe get interested. It's going to be tough, though.

Also, be warned - I once tried doing something like this, but in the end I failed to deliver anything. The reason was twofold - one, I did what they asked, but then they asked for more, and two - I couldn't do what they asked with what they gave me. Both were ultimately caused by them not being able to describe what they want to do before people did the work for them. If someone volunteers, show him examples, explain him what kind of thing you want, and why you want that, and what you're trying to achieve. Show interest, and tell the guy he can show his WIP stuff if he wants feedback. It's a bit more work for you, but it will help motivate the artist.

MadCatMax

Post by MadCatMax » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 am

What type of game is it, I find myself good at pixel art and i have some time to kill, but first i would like to know some sort of story line and/or how the game play works
Last edited by MadCatMax on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 pm

MADCAT IS BACK!!!

MadCatMax

Post by MadCatMax » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:56 am

MadCat, I do want dance with you. And also fuck you.

MadCatMax

Post by MadCatMax » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Adwuga, this video is for you

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:52 am

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 pm

^That describes me perfectly.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Wow, look what you did to my poor innocent thread. I made a video and everything, and I come back to see this happened :P

A bit more info on the plans for the game is here.

And we do still need an artist badly.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 am

Stuntddude wrote:Wow, look what you did to my poor innocent thread. I made a video and everything, and I come back to see this happened :P

A bit more info on the plans for the game is here.

And we do still need an artist badly.
The game's description is intriguing, but it seems more of a story at the moment, instead of a game. I also like the video. You should probably explain some basic gameplay mechanics and goals. The first sentence is a good start: "Kopeph is going to be an online 2-D shooter with sprite-based graphics and a science fiction theme."

From there, I'd add a few extra details. It's online game and has a login screen/password, so I assume it's multiplayer. How many concurrent players are you planning for? 1v1, 16v16, 100s vs 100s? Then add in some basics, like if it's going to be realtime (probably), which platforms is it designed for (pc?), is the aiming going to be with mouse or just the keyboard/gamepads, etc. Also target audience - "if you liked X, you're going to love this game".

Sprite graphics include all 2D graphics. If you're specifically going for pixel-art backgrounds as well, you might want to say say "pixel-art graphics" instead.

Kopeph isn't a bad name. I mean, it's one of the few results on a google search, that's really good!

If you want to get this noticed, you could do the same thing Wolfire used to do way back then, when they alternated between describing what you've done (to get tech-savvy game developers interested), and explaining one specific feature in more detail. That sort of explanation will catch the interest of would-be game developers, who are more numerous and also cross over into the crowd who buy and play indie games.