Interview on Experience in Game Programming

Anything else
zzwerty

Interview on Experience in Game Programming

Post by zzwerty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:01 am

Hi everyone. I'm a year 10 student from Australia, and we have this subject called Personal Learning Plan here which is compulsory for Year 10s at our school, and for the subject it is required that we carry out an interview with a person in an occupation of our choice. Of course I stupidly chose Game Programmer and then realized I knew no-one who's worked in Game Programming. I've asked David via twitter to no response and also the developers of Sui Generis, but the project is due this Friday. Would anyone here who's worked in the game industry or even just hobbyist programming be happy to answer these three questions?

1. How did you get into game programming as an occupation?
2. Do you enjoy your job?
3. How is your job's routine?

Thanks

Korban3

Re: Interview on Experience in Game Programming

Post by Korban3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm

I can, if you'd like. I'm not the most experienced, but I'm definitely not quite an amateur anymore. Here are my answers, for what they're worth. If you need a demo of the game I'm working on, I can furnish that as well, even though it isn't much yet.

EDIT: Actually, I'd be completely happy to furnish some source code if you want to show that off, too. Not sure how in-depth any of this has to be, but that option's there if you'd like it.

1. How did you get into game programming as an occupation?
I originally played a lot of games as a kid. One day, I sort of realized that someone out there made video games, that they didn't just exist and decided that I wanted to make them too. Was probably only 7 or 8, but I was young and had stars in my eyes, so to speak.

2. Do you enjoy your job?
I greatly enjoy programming and game design in general. When the Marine Corps gives me my soul back for the weekends, I spend almost every waking hour on game design. After a while, it just becomes something that you learn to love doing. Despite the frustrations and difficulties, I love churning away at some code.

3. How is your job's routine?
As mentioned, the Marine Corps owns me during the week. We get some free time at night, but I'm usually too tired to focus on design very much. I can get some work done, but without staying up late I can't get a whole lot done. However, when the weekends roll around, I get down to business. Generally, programming involves a lot of odd work habits that I've found are fairly common. If you're working on your own projects, from home, you'll find yourself having no motivation to work during the day. Then, as soon as 10pm rolls around, you suddenly want to work and might end up staying awake all night on your project. I've found myself missing meals and not peeing for an entire day because I get so into my work.
While that's not how everyone is, I've found that lots of my buddies who programmed had somewhat similar habits. Just the way things go, I suppose. Working in an established office or studio is a bit different, generally involving more scheduled work hours for the programmer. You have to be wary though, an official programming job can be very taxing on the employee. You aren't guaranteed awesome hours and you're likely to lose out on a lot of sleep and meals just trying to make the deadlines your publisher has put upon the project.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:38 am

Korban3 wrote:I can, if you'd like.
Thanks Korban3! The Sui Generis dev got back to me but I think I'll still be able to use your answers in my project. And no, I don't need any source code, but thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it, it was interesting to read even from a personal point of view.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:39 am

Your welcome :D