Usergroups?

Anything else
AmorphousGamer

Usergroups?

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:49 am

So I'm killing time browsing my user control panel, and I come across the usergroups tab. Keep in mind this is the first forum I've ever been active on so any stuff that's in pretty much every forum will still be new to me.
I noticed the little section of "non-memberships" where it says "Overt Ops" and "Spam Police." I'm just interested as to what all this is. If anyone could explain it to me, it'd be great.

adwuga

Re: Usergroups?

Post by adwuga » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:12 am

The inner machinations of this forum are an enigma.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:13 am

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:53 am

Overt Ops is something that existed earlier, it was mostly a Lugaru thing as far as I understand. "Covert Ops" is about operations done in secret that no one sees, so the "Overt Ops" was about doing things that are seen by as many people as possible. I don't know what they were doing, exactly, but probably things like translating Lugaru reviews to other languages and stuff like that.

Overt Ops isn't happening any more.

There was an immense wave of spam into these forums at one point, and during that all the pre-orderers got limited moderator powers so they could ban the spammers. Maybe this Spam Police is or was something related to that - a usergroup that gives its members the rights to Accept or Decline people based on their first post.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:18 pm

http://www.wolfire.com/overt-ops
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6266
I actually remember both of these. I wasn't really active then, so I never signed up.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Endoperez wrote:Information
As always, an informative and helpful post. Thanks. :D

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:07 am

Oh, also, while I'm asking about the way the forums works, I'm slightly interested in the moderator control panel. I noticed it a while back and I've realized that me and other users can occasionally approve or deny posts. I also remember that a long time ago, when I first started posting here, that my posts required approval. I'm not sure when that stopped being the case.
So I guess what I'm wondering is, who is allowed these basic moderator privileges and why? Also, who is allowed to post without approval and why?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:32 am

A user has to be approved once. All posts made after the first approval are posted normally, but if someone posts several posts before the first gets approved, there might be several posts from the same person that need approval.

All pre-orderers can approve or decline a post. I believe that a pre-orderer's first post does not require approval, but I'm not quite sure.

It's to prevent spam accounts from posting loads of spam, while not forcing new users to wait a long time before their posts are seen by everyone. There are only a few moderators, but lots of pre-orderers - so spam is banned quickly and new users get approved quickly.