Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:08 pm

"God created man in his own image. Out of gratitude, man returned the favor."
-N/A

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:33 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:That was weird, somehow, when I posted it ended up in Zantalos's name…

Oh, crap, the weird button placement strikes again! Sorry. :?
Aww man, my post!

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Exactly… Sorry!

Another reason to move the buttons, I guess.

And it just had to happen on a long post, too!

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:59 pm

@Grayswandir
Voltaire wrote:If God has made us in his image, we have returned him the favor.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:07 pm

tallyl.iii wrote:I am essentially atheistic and feel that people must justify their own existence with their actions...
Why do we have to justify that? We were born (in most cases; I'm not sure about everyone on the boards here); we had no say in the matter, we won't be judged when our life is over; what's to justify?

Making your life worthwhile, or worth living, is another thing entirely.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:51 pm

God's Final Message to His Creation: "We apologize for the inconvenience."

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:52 pm

Isn't that from the HitchHikers guide "trilogy"?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Dunno...I read it on another forum and thought it was funny.

Also, relating to the topic, I found something interesting last night in a book I was reading. I'm not quoting it, I'm just putting down the general idea. I'd post the actual quote, but I don't have the book on hand right now.

Have you ever wondered why so many people argue about how many stars there are in the universe? Each person claiming that they're right and that they're experts on the matter. Its because no matter what they say, they can't be proven wrong because nobody knows the answer...

Its the same thing with God. :twisted:
*waits to get jammed into a barrel and lit on fire*

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:08 pm

It's a matter of faith. You can't prove or disprove faith.

Some people need to have faith to understand, and some people need to understand to have faith.

I'm one of the latter.

Esen

Post by Esen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 am

Now don't go mental on me or anything because I am putting this up as just a scenario,

So heres the scenario: what if, right now, the bible ceased to exist along with all peoples knowledge of Christianity, what would we have presented in front of us to make us believe in Christianity? You could use this for any faith or anybodys own beliefs. I thought this was interesting because it's hard to find a way to represent any religion to someone without having something to back it up, which kinda shows that religion isn't always about faith.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:07 pm

Well then we probably wouldn't believe in Christianity, or any other religion that used the Bible for that matter...

"If there was a car crash ten blocks from here, that window washer would probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are, but from where he's sitting, he can see a little farther down the road."

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:36 pm

Some folks say they get messages, advice and instructions from an invisible, all-powerful, eternal being from an unreachable realm when they read the bible, or go to church, or pray.

I say I get messages from an invisible, all powerful, eternal being from an unreachable realm when I wear my special aluminum foil hat with the sparkly danglers.

What's the difference between us?

The hat.

Esen

Post by Esen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:23 am

oh yeah i forgot to say what i believed

well i'm kinda like an atheist, i don't believe in any sort of god or 'deity' (but then again atheists dont believe in things they established facts), but unlike an atheist i have no interest in disproving other peoples religion. Like, 'Agnostic atheist'

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:00 am

Esen wrote: atheists dont believe in things they established facts
Not sure what you mean here.
Esen wrote:unlike an atheist i have no interest in disproving other peoples religion. Like, 'Agnostic atheist'
Agnostic means "Without knowledge;" atheist means "without God."

Agnostics believe there's no proof, but are open to the possibility: a neutral belief. Atheists believe there is no God; a negative belief.

You're a nontheist, someone with absence of belief in both the existence and non-existence of a deity: no belief. Basically, you don't believe, but you don't care if others do.

I used to be a nontheist, but I'm becoming actively atheist, even antitheist. I resent the equating of lack of belief with lack of morality or even satanism, especially in America.

Unlike religious fanatics, or even devout but non-fanatic believers, atheists have never started wars, massacred people, tortured and executed people, tried to prevent scientific progress because it disagrees with their sacred writings, or tried to force the teaching of atheism in public schools.

Religious believers are still doing this today, and in my opinion are the source of most of the evil in the world, from ancient times until today. If there were a God, he'd hide his face in shame at the sight of his followers' actions.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:26 am

I found some flaws in evolution! (finally)
*Why do we have emotions? Fear makes sense, but why would being so depressed you want to kill yourself be useful in the wild?
*Why is it that in the relativly short time humans have been on earth, we've become so smart when crocodiles have existed since the dinosaurs and before? (I think, I'm a bit sketchy on my animal history to be honest)

While before I rejected evolution completly I'm a bit more open this time.