Ranting

Anything else
Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 pm

Lots of good points there... A little strange to kick off a huge discussion like that, but whatever.

Drugs are entirely fascinating to me– enough to get me interested in chemistry and neuropharmacology (if that's the correct spelling...). They tie in perfectly with... well, a lot of things. Especially the thing I was talking about with the multiple dimensions... that's really, really cool. I have to get my hands on some actual psychedelics, but whatever. I think that pot is fine as long as you have moderation- even heroin can be fine if it's only taken once in a while (meaning once a year or so). Meth... Not so much, but it's a bit of an exception. DMT is the most incredibly cool psychoactive substance on the planet. But I digress. Moderation is the main thing. Ecstasy, for instance, is fine- taken not every day. Ecstasy is really interesting in a lot of ways, actually.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:36 pm

Wait, so marijuana doesn't make you stupid? Adults that I know who have taken pot since middle school are friggen retarded. They act like kids even though they're like 26.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:37 am

Albab, I think it would be really hard to take heroin once a year since it's extremely addicting.
But I know what you mean, drugs are kind of interesting.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:41 am

Silb wrote:...they lacked any other strong source of interest. I'm not sure weed is the root problem there. My experience is limited though. I'd be curious to know of example to the contrary.
I have and have always had plenty of interests. Weed seems to intensify the experience of enjoying a particular interest, and help you focus more.

But I realized I didn't need to intensify the experience; I just needed to pay more attention. That's what meditation and other eastern-style self awareness approaches help you do: pay attention.

"This moment is more precious than everything that has passed and is to come, and is in fact all that we posses." This is a slightly changed quote from one of my favorite books: The Ronin by Dale Jenkins. Whatever you're doing is the most important thing right now, if you've chosen wisely. Pay attention to it.

As I found, the real value of weed is to make boring things more palatable. It's one reason it's so popular in Jamaica; they have to spend a lot of time doing boring agricultural work like short-hoeing just to have enough to eat.

But after a while, you're content to do boring things, 'cuz dope makes it seem OK. Then you get boring, and all your interesting friends drift away, to be replaced by friends who seem less boring 'cuz they always agree with you.

My best friends in life are actually the ones who have very different viewpoints. They are a lot more interesting than people who are just like me.

As for the idea that weed helps your creativity or perception, I'm reminded of a discussion in an old pro-weed book called "A Child's Garden Of Grass." They talked about the fact that you often wake up with a really stunning idea, but you can't remember it the next day.

So you start keeping a pen and paper with you to record them. And when you finally manage to write it down, when you look at it the next day, it says, "There's a funny smell in this room."

I don't smoke nuttin' no mo'.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Please do not try heroin...

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Jeff wrote:Please do not try heroin...
Ditto x 1000.
Don't ever try anything that's addicting like that
or with health risks above smoke in your lungs (and I mean smoke itself, tobacco is a NO). Use a bong or even better, a vaporizer.
There's my absolute limits.

And needles, dude! Needles! No way.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Here's a true story that I've heard stright from the teller.

Back in 71 a girl who is only 19 goes to a party that was being held at the local park. Everythings cool, druggies everywhere, alchohol, hippies, and it's the seventies all equal an awesome party. Okay so this woman has not done drugs and never will, but everyone is passing around a jug of wine, so she thinks, what the heck, I'll have a sip. The jug is passed to her and she has the jug to her lips when she hears one of the hippies say to his friend "Hey man, how many tablets of acid did you put in the wine?"
"I don't no man, 50, 100, dunno, I lost count." After hearing this the woman decides against drinking the wine. A friend of hers however, knowing full well that the wine contained a large amount of acid took a big swig.
He is still in a mental institute today.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:25 pm

Alcohol hurts your brain alot more. You know when you're drunk? thats the alcohol killing your brain cells.

If you crack open the head of an alcoholic, their brain is all black because of the alcohol.

Kalexon: weird story, and I can't say I agree with it. Acid doesn't make you go crazy.

[edit2]
Crill3 wrote:Use a bong or even better, a vaporizer.
There's my absolute limits.
http://www.marijuanavaporizer.com/[/edit2]

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:37 pm

I'm no expert, but 100 LSD tablets (whatever you mean by tablets) in one bottle of wine?
Isn't that... alot?

I've never heard that alcohol can paint your brain black before, is that really
true?

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:51 pm

It didn't make him go crazy per se. From what I understood the acid caused brain damage, so while he wasn't crazy he couldn't really function as a normal human being.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Man, acid is some really bad stuff. I know a guy who's not returning from a bad trip, he's a brother of a friend of mine. He's in a mental institute and is fighting imaginary dragons all the time. He's doing that for 5 years now.

No, I'm not kidding.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:46 pm

Too bad humans aren't like them birds who regenerate their braincells.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:06 pm

Yeah nayr, acid is like the most dangerous drug you can ever take. It causes permanent brain damage with hallucinations that may never go away. Of course acid can make you go crazy.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:58 pm

^ kerbullshit. Totally and categorically untrue, except in isolated cases, and in those predisposed to such things (such as myself. That sucks so much you can't imagine...)

By the way, I was exaggerating about the heroin; don't do that shit. I was just making a point about moderation, which is the most important point to be made about drugs. Back to the LSD, it's the 5HT2a(I think it's 5...) and b receptor group that LSD works on. A defect or something with these causes schizophrenia. Due to my family history, it appears I have some of that defect or whatever, and therefore will be staying off the acid. But I also know someone that's done 15 tabs of acid at once, not entirely infrequently, starting over fifteen years ago. The guy is weird, but not what you'd call insane (well, what I'd call insane...). Most psychedelics aren't like that, though. All of the phenethylamines work on totally different receptors, salvia works on the kappa opiod receptors, etc. By the way, just spend some time on http://www.erowid.org. Totally nonpartial information. I love it.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:33 pm

I'm not saying acid isn't bad. But just think, where would lucy be without acid? :P