Science v. Religion Finally Explained Clearly

Anything else
invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:31 am

Final_Flame wrote:I am part of the Christian religion, and we don't just ignore the contradicting evidence. we find proof that your "evidence" is total crap. Nothing can disprove the Christian religion, try!

You find "evidence" i'll find counter evidence!
I'm sorry, but you sound a bit like one of the fundies there. There is no evidence, just the bible, and anyone could have written that. And don't call me anti-christain for saying
Invertin wrote:bible, and anyone could have written that
Because I believe in god, but not any one religion, one could be right, or they could all be wrong. I'm just waiting till death, then I'll know for sure.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 am

Final_Flame wrote:i agree with the science part.
i totally disagree with the religion part
This makes no sense considering the statements that follow.
Final_Flame wrote:...Christian religion...don't just ignore the contradicting evidence. we find proof that your "evidence" is total crap.
Well, if you hadn't called it crap I might listen to your "evidence," but you kinda exposed your prejudices there, pal. Might explain your name, but you'll never get the final flame in this war, I'm thinkin'.
Final_Flame wrote:I am part of the Christian religion...
Which part? No wait, don't tell me; let me guess! This one?

Final_Flame wrote:Nothing can disprove the Christian religion...
Well, there is no "Christian" religion, tho' there are many churches theoretically based on the teachings of Christ. They all sprang from either the Catholic church, the Eastern Orthodox church, or from one of the numerous sects, cults, off-shoots or heresies that followed.

There are also a few that sprang full-blown from the heads of various scammers, liars, crazies and wackos.

So, enlighten us: What "Christian" church to you belong to?
Final_Flame wrote:...try!
Why? Nobody wants to "disprove" the "Christian religion" (still not sure what that means); it exists. Christ was an historical figure. He existed. He left teachings. They exist.

Why would anyone want to "disprove" teachings that recommend that you be nice to your fellow man?

But Christ also made claims; these exist also. What doesn't exist is any reproducible, testable, examinable evidence to prove his claims. And his followers and all the founders of the off-shoots, etc., added to these claims, interpreting as needed to shore up their version, which led to some of the most hilarious, and horrific consequences in the history of mankind.

But there's no proof. It's all faith, which you obviously have, and that's fine, but it doesn't prove anything except that you have faith.

Don't expect me to believe because you have faith. And don't expect me to allow you to inject your faith into my secular life, because I'll resist that and fight you tooth and nail to keep my world free from religion. We don't need and Jesushadists, thanks.
Final_Flame wrote:You find "evidence" i'll find counter evidence!
No, you go first. I'm sure it will be quite entertaining. I can hardly wait.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:15 am

I sense bitterness.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:18 am

I shall be amused.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:33 am

wormguy wrote:I sense bitterness.
No, that's bile.

But I guess bile is bitter, so I suppose you're right.

Actually, you're spot on.

Over the course of recorded history, tens if not hundreds of millions of humans have been tortured, mutilated, crippled and murdered because of religion.

Seven or eight million died in the last century alone, because of religion.

The mid-East is in deadly turmoil, because of religion.

People are shot, knifed, bludgeoned, burned, raped, beheaded, mutilated daily, because of religion.

Nothing like this ever happened as a result of intentional actions in defense of non-theism. Never. Ever.

Here's a quote from one of America's finest authors, and one of my favorites: Mark Twain.

"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven....The higher animals have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste."

Here are a couple of sites to make you think:

http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_religion.html

http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_religion.html

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 am

Everyone has a religion.

It's just that some of us worship things that aren't necessarily gods.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:10 pm

wormguy wrote:Everyone has a religion.

It's just that some of us worship things that aren't necessarily gods.
As far as I know, I don't worship anyone or anything..

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:17 pm

No, don't you know? Atheists really worship themselves. Also, there can be no morality unless it comes from God, and atheists are actually a kind of Muslim.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:23 pm

zatoichi wrote:No, don't you know?
That reminded me of something.
Notice how many quotes on FSTDT contain
"Did you know that..." or similar.
To me that is something people add when using scare tactics
on five-year-olds.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:11 pm

zatoichi wrote:No, don't you know? Atheists really worship themselves. Also, there can be no morality unless it comes from God, and atheists are actually a kind of Muslim.
I know a lot of moral people that don't have a faith and I know a lot of immoral people who do. Also, does anyone else see the anti-Islamic sentiment in this statement?

Here's one thing that has bugged me recently. Look at the church and it's record of being right about how the world and universe works? Notice a recuring theme? The Earth is the center of the universe! Disproven, oh and I believe someone suffered from coming up with contridictory evidence. Dinosuars. Don't exist! Again, disproven, then when the theory of evolution came up the church use dinosuars as 'evidence' to try and disprove that. "It's simple really, when Noah sailed the Dinosaurs missed the boat!"

Through out history the church has been wrong time and time again. So what does this tell us? It tells us that the church needs to get it's grubby little paws off the field of science, allowing faith to come before progress has never helped us.

That said if there is one thing I can not stand it's all these anti-christian feelings going around. Just because you are christian doesn't mean you have to be like all the ultra conservative literalist fundies.

I myself, am a Lutheran, and look at me. I am pro-gay rights (though I'm not one so don't ask) I don't believe evolution can't be true bucause the bible doesn't say anything about it. And speaking of the bible, hey, I don't believe that the world was created in seven days by an all-powerful being who existed before the beggining of time. Hell, I don't really believe in God. I consider myself a christian because it origanly preached kindness to everyone and tolerance of your fellow man and woman, and stuff like that.

I'm probably getting preachy right now, and most of you probably fell asleep half-way through this post. (I don't blame ya) So I'll end the rant now.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Kalexon wrote:you probably fell asleep half-way through this post.
I've been eating chocolate bars for about an hour now (...What? I was bored.) it's going to take alot more than a boring post to put me asleep.

I agree with what your saying. I myself used to be christain, but so many religions have got things wrong I'm starting to doubt whether any of them are right. I still believe in god, I just don't believe in any one god, I believe in 3 possible things.

1. One of the religions is right, I can't know which, so if god hates me for that, then so be it.

2. None of the religions is right, god is different from anything we've ever imagined, and the world will never have a clue.

3. God doesn't exist.

I'm hoping for 2 though, every religion has some flaws in its history, and I doubt a person like god (who has been unseen since the earth began, if he exists at all) woudl reveal himself until we're ready, and the way alot of people are acting, I doubt humanity will ever be ready for a time god comes to earth.

Ah, **** I'm getting preachy.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:30 pm

Saying atheism is a religion is like saying baldness is a hair color. <unknown>

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:19 pm

A new and improved science vs faith diagram based on recent observations:

Fools, you have sown in the field of irrespectful religious debate, and now you shall reap only ruin.

EDIT: WARNING! This is not intended to actually offend anybody. I hope it's obvious that it's grossly exaggerated (given the original, that's fair play though). I like to make fun, and it's true that most atheists aren't very objective about religion (which makes for good irony, but bad debates).

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:58 pm

That rabbit is certainly stronge alright.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Kalexon wrote:
zatoichi wrote:No, don't you know? Atheists really worship themselves. Also, there can be no morality unless it comes from God, and atheists are actually a kind of Muslim.
I know a lot of moral people that don't have a faith and I know a lot of immoral people who do. Also, does anyone else see the anti-Islamic sentiment in this statement?

Here's one thing that has bugged me recently. Look at the church and it's record of being right about how the world and universe works? Notice a recuring theme? The Earth is the center of the universe! Disproven, oh and I believe someone suffered from coming up with contridictory evidence. Dinosuars. Don't exist! Again, disproven, then when the theory of evolution came up the church use dinosuars as 'evidence' to try and disprove that. "It's simple really, when Noah sailed the Dinosaurs missed the boat!"

Through out history the church has been wrong time and time again. So what does this tell us? It tells us that the church needs to get it's grubby little paws off the field of science, allowing faith to come before progress has never helped us.

That said if there is one thing I can not stand it's all these anti-christian feelings going around. Just because you are christian doesn't mean you have to be like all the ultra conservative literalist fundies.

I myself, am a Lutheran, and look at me. I am pro-gay rights (though I'm not one so don't ask) I don't believe evolution can't be true bucause the bible doesn't say anything about it. And speaking of the bible, hey, I don't believe that the world was created in seven days by an all-powerful being who existed before the beggining of time. Hell, I don't really believe in God. I consider myself a christian because it origanly preached kindness to everyone and tolerance of your fellow man and woman, and stuff like that.

I'm probably getting preachy right now, and most of you probably fell asleep half-way through this post. (I don't blame ya) So I'll end the rant now.
I really, really hope you know I was joking.