Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:46 pm

Yeshwhat? Who?

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:33 pm

Ok, here are some quick tips for learning how to game program:
learn how to do some basic problems with programming, just to get used to problem solving with a programming language; e.g. write a sudoku solver or a fractal program or something like that. Then learn opengl.

[brag session] some quick facts about me.
I memorized macbeth in a week. (my favorite lines? most definitely the doctor.) I also memorized Death of a salesman and the musical camelot, but those took longer. Shakespeare is my real love.

I've taken the physics, bio, and chem SAT II. 800s on all of them. I've also aced the physics AP (well, I got a five), and got a 99 percentile on my two SATs. I'm a sophomore in high school :)

I piddle around programming, but I don't have the patience for any long term projects. Mostly, I write stories.[/brag session]
Last edited by Nayr on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:56 pm

Being smart can turn out to be the worst thing that could ever happen to you.

At some point, you'll finally see through the shallowness of life and the meaninglessness of society. From that point on, you either get depressed or you begin to take nothing serious anymore.

And you're not wanted among the others who aren't at your level. They are scared and puzzled whenever you give another speech that contains another brilliant truth. If they could, they would suck up your smartness and kill you without thinking twice.

The only thing that will make you happy is using your brain. At some point, your only entertainment will become mental masturbation.

And because you will begin to realize all of this and it makes you sad, you'll begin to hide your smartness, grasping for chunks of normality. Just because you hope you can find some pride in being a tool among other tools, just shining here and there, as if it was coincidence.

Oh yeah, Nayr, you opened with [bragging], but ended with [/brag]. Markup doesn't work that way.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:05 pm

thanks. Dumb forum should complain about parse errors or something....

I dunno about y'all smart people, but I'm having a dandy time. Bring up the government, though, and I start slitting my wrists....

Seriously, it's us that can make it better! Change the world!

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:48 am

Uh oh, time for Rudel's moral-lifting medecine.

Watch out though, that's strong stuff. Not everybody can cope with the sheer load of it. Hope you handle it okay. :)

Moral of the day: I'd change the world, only I can't get up because I have a cat on my lap.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 am

Cats: How are you gentlemen !!

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:04 am

:)

I knew it would work.

With that video, I'm confident one could convey the meaning of 'cute' and 'adorable' to a shogun warrior or an alien hive queen (or both rolled into one?). They would just drop all warring intent and start raising kittens, just like I dropped the topic right here.

That's why I thought it would work on Rudel, who is after all a dancing rabbit (at least that's the impression I get from his avatar) (we're talking the same impression that says David is Sauron, now making video games).

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:45 am

Silb wrote:Watch out though, that's strong stuff. No everybody can cope with the sheer load of it. Hope you handle it okay. :)
Don't you mean stronge? ;)

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:09 pm

Silb wrote:With that video, I'm confident one could convey the meaning of 'cute' and 'adorable' to a shogun warrior...
Well, that wouldn't be hard. Samurai were supposed to be poets and philosophers, too. They probably made haiku about them:

Spring sun
shadow warrior kitten:
Shit! Tanto claws!
Silb wrote:...or an alien hive queen
Unfortunately, kittens look exactly like the genital parasites of hive queens. She'd crush his head with her pincer, and consume him to avoid wasting protein (she's eating for 50 gazillion, after all).
rudel_ic wrote:Being smart can turn out to be the worst thing that could ever happen to you.
Yah, life is hard. But it's hardest when you're dumb; your brain a dark and silent vac-u-um. On the other hand: no brains, no headaches.
Viking Zippy wrote:Don't you mean stronge?
I do indeed. I always mean stronge.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:50 pm

:P I said "noobs to porgramming", 'cause I FELT LIKE IT! GOSH! :x

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:32 am

What? Aliens eating kittens? Tanto claws?
No, no.
Therapy continues.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:59 pm

That chicken police one was crazy. It's like the chickens broke up the fight, counseled them for a bit, and then went on their way.

Freaken amazing.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:20 am

They did, though.

Obviously if you can't understand creature-speak this wouldn't appear to be the case, but it's true, they did.