3D Modeling

Anything else
wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 pm

Colicedus wrote:Where can I get Blender?

Almost forgot, Those Pictures look Kick-Kick-KICK@$$!
Dude. Google.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 pm

My sabunim used to make us do this exercise if he thought we weren't working hard enough in the dojang.

It's great for the stomach and back muscles.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:23 am

David wrote:Headshot!
(edited to fix links)
:lol: His shoulder's shading gets wack half way through the falling, though :P . Otherwise, nice work :wink: . Keep it up.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 am

I really like the clothes set. The way that jacket is shiny and stiff and has all those pockets, it's really cool. The ammo belt hanging across the shoulder and chest is also a nice touch.

She has a flowy dress!
I just like the look of that revolver, it's so dirty and rugged. Maybe with more time you could put more details in like the screws poping out a bit. But this is as realistic as it can be. The only way you could make it better is if you keep adding to it, since nothing needs to be changed at all, it's great.

By the way, is this game a class project that everyone is working on to create art for? Or is it each person doing there own thing.

And promise you'll tell us what that Freeverse project is when it gets released to the presses! You spent alot of time on that, it's probably going to be super awesome right? Made with 9 months Rosen! That's gotta be worth something. Like 3 times the developement time of blackshades, the game will no doubt rock.

Oh, and it's probably going to be one of those freeverse projects that.... Man, I hate secrets.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:21 am

Blender is more than the best freeware modeler; on many levels it competes with the AAA modelers (i.e. lightwave, maya, etc.)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:49 pm

In this class we are divided into groups of three or four to work on separate projects. I am doing all of the artwork for my group's project, but I am not doing any of the programming or design. I am glad you like the revolver! I don't really consider any of these pieces to be 'done' really, but in a sense they are because I will not have time to work on them more. I have to do another four character models and another five or so enemies, populate a village and city with environmental models, and design a couple dozen animations for each character. The game is unlikely to ever be finished, but it is great to get academic credit for practicing digital game artwork :)

The Freeverse project is a card game actually; here is the only screenshot (thumbnail?) that they have officially released:

I was responsible for the graphics programming, but I had no say in the game design or artistic direction, so there is not much Wolfire flavor to it. I think it is safe to say it will be the best-looking card game ever though :)

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:32 pm

This looks like a faithful remake of their Spades/Hearts/etc online card game series (Spades here).

Pretty terrible hand, by the way. :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:24 pm

Well I'm very glad that you're done with that project, more time spent on Wolfire projects are always a good thing.

And this means more time on soft-body fracture physics! That's good news for everybody. :)

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:27 am

David wrote:In this class we are divided into groups of three or four to work on separate projects. I am doing all of the artwork for my group's project, but I am not doing any of the programming or design. I am glad you like the revolver! I don't really consider any of these pieces to be 'done' really, but in a sense they are because I will not have time to work on them more. I have to do another four character models and another five or so enemies, populate a village and city with environmental models, and design a couple dozen animations for each character. The game is unlikely to ever be finished, but it is great to get academic credit for practicing digital game artwork :)
I find that I'm really interested in any game David is working on. Any chance of being able to let us have a look at this game once the school project is done?
Last edited by Kalexon on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:48 am

What what?

(scnr)

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:34 pm

David is a god when it comes to making awesome graphics. Look at that water… :shock:

Assuming doing the graphics includes that, that is.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:56 am

Speaking of water rendering... damn I want the Unity game engine so bad... I've been using the Blender game engine for a few months now, and it hell of SUCKS :x !! Blender is good... but Maya will always my number one modeler :P . BTW, David, is the Unity game engine considered "Top Notch" (assuming that you could just look at the specs and say from that :) )? Because I'm getting tired of these shitty 3rd party tools that I'm using, and my DREAM is to work for Insomniac Games 8) . I wanted to know if you have any spare time out of your busy schedule in the summer (if you ever come back to the bay area) to give me some game programming lessons. I'm willing to pay :D .

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:44 am

The Unity engine is pretty good IMO, Gooball is an example of a great Unity game, though I've only played the demo.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:31 am

CryEngine2 is much awesomererer than Unity.

And easier to use.

And Crytek is a german dev house.

CONVERT!

GooBall still looks like fun though.

Also look here for something similar that's not directly related: http://www.cubophobia.at.tt/ (Windows-only)

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:46 pm

And how am I going to get my hands on CryEngine 2 :| ?