randomness

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:01 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:If I had any form of art/code/balancing ability or talent, I would.
I just need monies for Photoshop and then I can begin DOING shit.
Grrrrrrr.
Game Jams aren't about skill. If game development is a ball-room dance, jams are an impromptu dance party on your friend's backyard.

You don't need skill or expensive tools, you just make something and have fun.

I feel like I'm not yet good at art, and I've been at this for years! :D Start now, worry about the end result being bad later.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:22 am

Endoperez wrote: Game Jams aren't about skill. If game development is a ball-room dance, jams are an impromptu dance party on your friend's backyard.
This analogy is accurate, because I can't dance either.
Now you know.

You don't need skill or expensive tools, you just make something and have fun.
Keyword is make.
As I said whenever I watch tutorials:
MeInThePast wrote:Instructions unclear.
Got game development stuck in external hard drive.
Progress.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:33 pm

my problem is SCHOOL.
i mean i am the only one who wants to sit at home and i have a good reason for it.
let me explain:
every boy wants to go home and play fifa or call of duty and eat and drink and sleep.
every girl wants to go shopping and eat and drink and sleep and chat with friends and be on whatsapp all day.
i just want to be home and learn developing games so i can earn a living in the future and because i like developing games.
but no school wants you to do stuff wich kills your creativity http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_s ... anguage=nl
and everything they learn you is "totally interesting".

the current jam is in honor of leelah alcorn right?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:25 pm

rodeje25 wrote:my problem is SCHOOL.
i mean i am the only one who wants to sit at home and i have a good reason for it.
let me explain:
every boy wants to go home and play fifa or call of duty and eat and drink and sleep.
every girl wants to go shopping and eat and drink and sleep and chat with friends and be on whatsapp all day.
i just want to be home and learn developing games so i can earn a living in the future and because i like developing games.
I find those stereotypes pretty harmful. Shame on you for sharing such harmful ideas! You're ruining lives! Developing games doesn't earn you a living!!1!11 :P

I'm kidding, although you probably shouldn't go too far into debt to learn game development, if you're in a country where educations is costly. It's fun, you can earn a living, but it tends to pay less than other equally demanding jobs.
but no school wants you to do stuff wich kills your creativity http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_s ... anguage=nl
and everything they learn you is "totally interesting".
It's all about the teacher's skills, in my experience. At the moment, I'm being taught business practices, extremely pedantic Finnish grammar and legal stuff - that's three courses that don't exactly scream interesting!
They're more interesting than any game dev-related course I've had in the last year and a half.
The teachers manage to make them fun and interesting.

Watching Ted talks is a great example of that. The talks are almost all awesome, even though the topics themselves often seem a bit 'meh' on their own.
the current jam is in honor of leelah alcorn right?
After a bit of Googling I found out that there is a jam being organized in her name and memory, but it's separate from the Global Game Jam.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Origa died at the age of 44 from lung cancer on the 17th of this month. She sang the themes for the recent Ghost in the Shell series and a video games.
[+] Youtube link heavy

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Endoperez wrote: it tends to pay less than other equally demanding jobs.
I don't really care about that because i have a motto from watchdogs wich makes the future brighter for me (because i didn't knew any fun jobs before i met game development) "choose a job you love an you never have to work a day in your life." I think aiden pierce's fixer said that in a dialog.
But really it keeps me motivated to go on with school and just finish it because the whole schoolsystem in the netherlands sucks and schools do projects wich keep you longer on school and gives you more homework just so a school can advertise and get more children and the people who work there probably get more money as well then. The system needs to change.... I don't know how it just needs to because i'm getting in a hatred mood.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:43 pm

rodeje25 wrote:
Endoperez wrote: it tends to pay less than other equally demanding jobs.
I don't really care about that because i have a motto from watchdogs wich makes the future brighter for me (because i didn't knew any fun jobs before i met game development) "choose a job you love an you never have to work a day in your life." I think aiden pierce's fixer said that in a dialog.
But really it keeps me motivated to go on with school and just finish it because the whole schoolsystem in the netherlands sucks and schools do projects wich keep you longer on school and gives you more homework just so a school can advertise and get more children and the people who work there probably get more money as well then. The system needs to change.... I don't know how it just needs to because i'm getting in a hatred mood.
You could ask your teacher's opinion on what should change. They probably know the system better than you, and they probably became teachers because they wanted to teach, not because they enjoy the bureucracy. In fact, they might have heard of that quote, too! It's a pretty famous one, originally by Confucious who lived about 2500 years ago. :)

Also, while there's lots of space for improvement, things could be worse. I read Malala Yousufsai's biography last month. Heavy stuff.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 pm

You have to learn a little of everything, life shouldn't just be centered around training for a career. Besides, you sound young, you have time to figure out what you really want to do. It's easy to see why you'd like to develop video games- I'm guessing you are a fan of playing them? I wanted to get into game design, too. I'm currently enrolled in university and studying computer science because after looking up interviews and talking with a few people who worked in the game design field, I came to the conclusion that unless you are part of the creative direction team (a very small and experience-requiring position), coding for a game studio usually means extremely long hours, difficulty collaborating with dozens if not hundreds of fellow programmers, and rather unstable employment- unless you find a way to stand out and make yourself really valuable, you could get cut as soon as the studio's first iteration of a previously flagship seller doesn't meet sales expectations. It is not a fun job and is nothing like small-team development. You'd be working on really specific, tiny bits of code, not building a game from the ground up.

And to go back to the age/time thing, I know many people who have switched their fields of study, whether it was minor shifts like going from mechanical engineering to aerospace engineering or huge changes like switching from a four year bachelor's track to pre-med or pre-law tracks. In fact the majority of students change their majors within the first year of study. Don't lock yourself into one career even if it seems very appealing right now. You don't know what you're going to be like in a few years, you don't know what the industries are going to be like, and more importantly, you don't know if you've found what will actually make you the happiest in life. Keep yourself flexible. If you pick an overly specific goal from really early on, you might end up liking it when you reach it, but more likely you will either feel 'forced' to take the path, or feel like you made a mistake if you try something else.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 am

Wise words! I approve.

That said, game dev is a fine hobby, so learning it is still worthwhile ev end if you end up working in a different field.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:52 am

I'm 14 years old. My dad already told me this but still i want to develop my own games. And i'm not really that busy with it (yet?). Because i have a friend who already bought two books and did 1 full course of c++ and java. He really likes to code i guess. Right now he is making an application so people can easily calculate how much they will earn in a month or a year. But he is already 16. And the only thing i did right now is fuck around in blender and i'm now continuibg the course i was doing.
But yeah i know i need to look out and i know i could end up in a totally different field.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:22 am

rodeje25 wrote:I'm 14 years old. My dad already told me this but still i want to develop my own games. And i'm not really that busy with it (yet?). Because i have a friend who already bought two books and did 1 full course of c++ and java. He really likes to code i guess. Right now he is making an application so people can easily calculate how much they will earn in a month or a year. But he is already 16. And the only thing i did right now is fuck around in blender and i'm now continuibg the course i was doing.
But yeah i know i need to look out and i know i could end up in a totally different field.
I started with Blender when I was about 18. It's taken me a while to get into game dev.

Learning to draw helps A LOT with 3D modeling. If you get a chance, take some drawing lessons or art classes.

In 3D, you want to know how to do two things. First, "how do I do this model?" Using the tool. That takes a long time to learn.
Second, "how can I make X look awesome?" How do I make this model look awesome? I have this character, what pose makes him look most awesome? Which kind of gun would be best for him? If it's a shotgun, how can I make a shotgun look more awesome than a real gun would be? That's what art can teach you. The tools are different - pen and pencil, or paint and brush. The "how do I make this more awesome" part is the same on both!

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Endoperez wrote:
rodeje25 wrote:I'm 14 years old. My dad already told me this but still i want to develop my own games. And i'm not really that busy with it (yet?). Because i have a friend who already bought two books and did 1 full course of c++ and java. He really likes to code i guess. Right now he is making an application so people can easily calculate how much they will earn in a month or a year. But he is already 16. And the only thing i did right now is fuck around in blender and i'm now continuibg the course i was doing.
I started with Blender when I was about 18. It's taken me a while to get into game dev.

Learning to draw helps A LOT with 3D modeling. If you get a chance, take some drawing lessons or art classes.

In 3D, you want to know how to do two things. First, "how do I do this model?" Using the tool. That takes a long time to learn.
Second, "how can I make X look awesome?" How do I make this model look awesome? I have this character, what pose makes him look most awesome? Which kind of gun would be best for him? If it's a shotgun, how can I make a shotgun look more awesome than a real gun would be? That's what art can teach you. The tools are different - pen and pencil, or paint and brush. The "how do I make this more awesome" part is the same on both!
Making things look awesome is far from now. taking drawing lessons or art lessons is actually a great idea but i don't know if school actually provides those classes. We do have a class in wich you need to make stuff and paint and cut and make projects and use wood etc. Never been quite good at it because my ideas where to awesome for reality and i always fucking it up. The last thing i made in that class was actually quite good though but it has a Major error in design so it breaks really fast.

Edit: its back agian! My name is dominating the forum! I'm so active on the forum. I wonder how fast i will hit the 1000 posts

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:49 am

Tales of Zestria came out a few days ago in Japan so the opening animation is all over Youtube.

I'm not sure if I really like the direction they took the character designs, they just don't appeal to me that much. But, I really do like the sound of the opening song. It gives it this "new frontier" feeling. It gives the opening a very different feel from the rest of the Tales series.

A few of the older openings for comparison.

Tales of Vesperia

Tales of Xillia (Jude Opening)

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Does anyone remember Six Days in Fallujah?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm

I have just found my favourite game trailer ever.