randomness

Anything else
User avatar
EPR89
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Germany

Re: randomness

Post by EPR89 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:52 am

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is on sale again on GOG. Missed it three times during that last sale thing the website did. I'm so happy right now. That's one of those all time classics I've been wanting to play for ages.
And it even comes with the short story.

User avatar
Endoperez
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 am

EPR89 wrote:Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is on sale again on GOG. Missed it three times during that last sale thing the website did. I'm so happy right now. That's one of those all time classics I've been wanting to play for ages.
And it even comes with the short story.
Nice! I have to ask tho' — if you've been wanting to play it for ages, wouldn't it have been worth the sub-10 bucks or whatever? If you know you want it, it seems like that'd be worth it.

User avatar
rodeje25
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 am
Location: Cold and Rainy Netherlands

Re: randomness

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:45 am

Endoperez wrote:Since I don't know whether Rodeje's message was serious or a joke whose context I don't get, and Glabbit's clarification also helped me understand his message, I've decided to come clean.
I never joke when it comes to illuminati stuff

User avatar
Endoperez
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:53 am

I'm still not sure whether the Illuminati is working with the lizard people, or against them.

Image

User avatar
EPR89
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Germany

Re: randomness

Post by EPR89 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Endoperez wrote:
EPR89 wrote:Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is on sale again on GOG. Missed it three times during that last sale thing the website did. I'm so happy right now. That's one of those all time classics I've been wanting to play for ages.
And it even comes with the short story.
Nice! I have to ask tho' — if you've been wanting to play it for ages, wouldn't it have been worth the sub-10 bucks or whatever? If you know you want it, it seems like that'd be worth it.
Oh, absolutely!
The thing is, I usually buy things like that as a sort of little reward for myself. I do that a lot. When exams are over or I've finished a project I browse through my mental list of things I've been wanting to check out and get something from it. When I got into my last year in high school I got myself a bunch of Shakespeare plays, when I was done with my state exam tests in sports this year I bought Fight Club the novel and devoured it in three days, and this sale right now was a pleasant incentive for me to get this game and the fact that the short story came with it sealed the deal.
Usually it works like this. That project or whatever is over and I go for a walk through town. I go through my favourite little alleys and visit my favourite shops. When something on that list catches my eye, there's a good chance that I'll get it right there. It's all about the occasion. Online stores have only very recently made it into that routine. I still prefer visiting real ones, though.
I was actually in my favourite book store yesterday and spent about one hour in there looking for something interesting. My prime target was Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Fight Club has really hooked me on his style. Had I not seen the game on sale today I would probably have gone for another trip an hour ago and I would probably have returned with something like Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
That reminds me, I need to get that one someday...

User avatar
moomoohk
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: randomness

Post by moomoohk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Endoperez wrote: Oh, did you drop the part where everything down from the graph is a solid color? Or do you have multiple, separate graph screens visible at once?

I can't see multiple graphs, each a solid color down from their curve, working well if they share the same space. Maybe it could be used to highlight the one you've selected or are interested in?
don't think i've uploaded a picture anywhere of the whole system really in action.

just made a video for you to illustrate those bits:


Endoperez wrote: I think your game's idea might get you some interested supporters. Haven't seen that sort of game before.

Assuming you get some interested people, then you have to show them something interesting. Simplified, I'm thinking you'll either have a fun game without a tutorial, or a meh game with a good tutorial.

A good tutorial will not keep people interested in a meh game, unless there's promise of something else in the project. And that promise might be hard to sell. If you're going for the tutorial, try to keep it as simple and general as possible, so that it helps people get into the game... but try to get past that and into the fun gameplay ASAP, so that any people who get interested and try the tutorial can see that there's something else coming in, later.
yeah, the tutorial i have in mind is exactly what you're describing. by no means a guide to playing, just a way to get acquainted with the ui and core mechanics.
Endoperez wrote: Also please consider the commercial stuff carefully. You don't have to answer to me, since I'm an outsider and won't know or understand your situation, but these are important questions to keep in mind.
Are you planning to feed yourself on this game, or is it a hobby that brings in some money? Hobby games might end up taking a decade of development. A fine hobby, but very different from a business.
100% hobby. this game has always been somewhat of a side project to me and even more so now that i've been drafted. it would be cool to head out to base on sunday and come back home friday to find that i made 0.0000x$ over the past week without really having done much.

User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: randomness

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:10 pm

I have been scarred for life after watching Watership Down.
Never again.

User avatar
Endoperez
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:45 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:I have been scarred for life after watching Watership Down.
Never again.
I read the synopsis of Plague dogs and noped out of the library, IIRC. Watership down cartoon, on the other hand, didn't have much of an effect. I did watch the Farthing Woods series as a kid though. And Alfred J. Kwak. Nothing quite like watching a cartoon family die... European cartoons can be a bit hardcore.




Ep. 1 - introduce happy family. Eggs hatch into lots of kids. Their home is bought, destroyed & industrialized.
Ep. 2 - car kills everyone but Alfred. Cue happy slice-of-life.
Image

User avatar
rodeje25
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 am
Location: Cold and Rainy Netherlands

Re: randomness

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Endoperez wrote:I'm still not sure whether the Illuminati is working with the lizard people, or against them.

Image
Lizard people?

Ohw also feminism just got better!
I went swimming today and tere was 1 row of parking lots for women only!
I wonder what the next thing will be.... Women only shopping centers?

User avatar
EPR89
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Germany

Re: randomness

Post by EPR89 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Wow...
The Animals of Farthing Wood really was something. The whole story around Bold had me in tears at the end.

MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING

I mean, he leaves home as an angry teenager who wants to get away from his parents. He has a really hard time outside the park, he gets injured, essentially crippled, somehow manages to pull through: He grows with every experience. He takes responsibilty. He becomes an adult. He finds a partner and - having learnt about the dangers of the outside world first hand - decides that it would be better for his family to live in the safety of the park. So they start their journey back to the place he left behind in anger when he was a kid. His injuries make it a difficult journey and he gets weaker. As they come close to the park he feels that his time has come. Not wanting his partner to see him wither away he drags himself in a ditch to die.
His dad finds him just before its too late. They finally see eye to eye and his father apolgizes for not understanding him when he was young. Bold is now truly on the same level as his father. He's not an angry teenager anymore. He's a hero. His father tells him that he is proud of him. And then he dies, too weak to say anything in response.
Spoilers over

Man. whole story arc was amazing. But the ending... As awful as it made me feel, that was just beautiful. That's still one of the most emotional moments in story telling that I can think of. Even though the story featured many situations like that (Badger... Oh god, Badger), this specific arc just hit me really, really hard. I guess I found it easy to identify with Bold because I was around the same age that he was supposed to represent when he ran away from home back then. That character just grew on me every time he was on screen. And then he just... I mean, it was predictable, but still... I will never forget that scene in my entire life.

It really kind of reminds me of something a series like Game of Thrones would pull. But this was marketed as a kids show. And that's what really makes this so remarkable. Because it worked. I watched it as a kid. Ever week I was looking forward to the next episode. Maybe I'm just not all that well informed about kids shows these days anymore, but I don't think the make them like that anymore. They don't think kids could handle strong stories like that.

Alfred J. Kwak was amazing too. Always seemed a bit more scurrilous than other shows. I loced that they used Dutch voice actors, or at least voice actors who did a Dutch accent, for the Alfred's family. I'm still thinking ducks as Dutch guys. Not even Ducktales could change that.
I never got the allusions when I was young. Like Alfred's girlfriend, a black duck fleeing from her homeland after it has been taken over by white geese.
Or the antagonist in many episodes, a halfbreed crow, who starts the National Crow Party and always has to struggle with his impure heritage. Apparently he's called Dolph in the ENglish version. Reeeeeal subtle.

Man those old shows were awesome. I think I'll have to go on an Alfred J. Kwack, Animals of Farthing Woods and Moomins spree sometime.

User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: randomness

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:I have been scarred for life after watching Watership Down.
Never again.
I read the synopsis of Plague dogs and noped out of the library, IIRC. Watership down cartoon, on the other hand, didn't have much of an effect. I did watch the Farthing Woods series as a kid though. And Alfred J. Kwak. Nothing quite like watching a cartoon family die... European cartoons can be a bit hardcore.
2 things about Animals of the Farthing Woods.
1: I will forever read that as farting woods. Don't judge me.
2: I think Watership Down was more violent from what I've seen.

User avatar
Endoperez
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: 1: I will forever read that as farting woods. Don't judge me.
2: I think Watership Down was more violent from what I've seen.
1. Meh. That's fair.
2. Mouse babies impaled on bloody thorns, man.

User avatar
Endoperez
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:08 am

rodeje25 wrote: I went swimming today and tere was 1 row of parking lots for women only!
I wonder what the next thing will be.... Women only shopping centers?
I checked Wikipedia on that. It seems in certain areas of Germany a certain amount of parking space (that's covered by video surveillance and close to the entrance) has to be reserved for women, for safety reasons.

A feminist is quoted critiquing the setup because it enforces stereotypes without relying on actual data - it's men who are more likely to be assaulted in outside areas. That said, the idea might have been the result of feminist advocates, since feminists do disagree with each other on all sorts of things.

User avatar
rodeje25
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 am
Location: Cold and Rainy Netherlands

Re: randomness

Post by rodeje25 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:48 am

Endoperez wrote:
rodeje25 wrote: I went swimming today and tere was 1 row of parking lots for women only!
I wonder what the next thing will be.... Women only shopping centers?
I checked Wikipedia on that. It seems in certain areas of Germany a certain amount of parking space (that's covered by video surveillance and close to the entrance) has to be reserved for women, for safety reasons.

A feminist is quoted critiquing the setup because it enforces stereotypes without relying on actual data - it's men who are more likely to be assaulted in outside areas. That said, the idea might have been the result of feminist advocates, since feminists do disagree with each other on all sorts of things.
So they debate inside and outside.....
WOW

Anyway look at my new avatar :)
It's a picture of my dog who was finished yawning so the picture was taken right on time.
I had to crop it a lot otherwise you would've seen the ears but the 90 x 90 pixel height and width prevented that.

User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: randomness

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:44 am

[quote="Endoperez]
1. Meh. That's fair.[/quote]
Me: 1. Immature impulses: 0.

2. Mouse babies impaled on bloody thorns, man.
I did it for you, you bastard.

Post Reply