randomness

Anything else
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: randomness

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Freshbite wrote:"Angel Beats!" ... I didn't even consider it at the time.
I eventually got around to it. I've now watched the series myself and ...

... *sniff* I lost my fucking shit. I've rubbed my eyes to powder over the climax.
It is, easily, one of the best series I've yet to encounter. Easily.

That is all.
I marathoned this show yesterday on you and Assaultman's praise, and I must say I absolutely loved it too. There were numerous times this show made me laugh out loud and others when it made me shed a tear. The climax, however. For some reason I just felt hollow during that. I felt cheated by that ending. His future is not resolved. Does he eventually come to terms and "move on" so to speak or does he remain?
Angel Beats!, while awesome, suffers from being too short. Recently, anime has run into this problem over the past year or so. They try to cram a story into a 13-episode series rather than letting it play out over two seasons (26 episodes).

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah I felt it could have done with being fleshed out over a bit more. A number of the other character's past lives could have been fleshed out.

IT SEEMS THAT SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT WORKING SO BEWARE OF THEM. >:-3

In the 4th or 5th-last episode Otonashi makes a commitment to help everyone accept their passing and disappear, but he only does this with Yui properly. Everyone else just kinda go "OKAY I'M GOOD, SEE YA". Also the "SUDDENLY AND UNEXPLAINABLY I LOVE YOU! AAAAAAAAAGH" was kind of garish and melodramatic. The relationship wasn't really developed properly.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm

In retrospect I kinda the ending was a bit fast and loose too. (Chronologically it seemed to not make much sense either, but I didn't really think about it until later.)

But when I first watched it I was already swept up in the mood at that point so I kinda stopped analyzing the plot and was just going with it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Yeah there was what looked like a chronological plothole there at the end. I didn't really get that. I figured that one of the characters would allude to that and explain, but nothing was said about it. It seems too glaring to just be a silly mistake. Maybe the chronology of the afterlife didn't follow the same chronology of the living world, but that doesn't really answer it very well either, let alone make any sense.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:54 pm

I think it's way too big a thing to be a plothole, given the general quality of the show. They clearly had something in mind.

They talk about a God in the show so let's assume there is one. Since time in general is a concept mainly constructed by humans for human use, why should the creator of the world be bound by such a pity factor? The afterlife in the show might not even exist within time as we know it. Besides, why would he have to pop up in the afterlife the instant after he died? "God works in mysterious ways", or whatever.. Image

Also, I second this:
Assaultman67 wrote:But when I first watched it I was already swept up in the mood at that point so I kinda stopped analyzing the plot and was just going with it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah but "God did it" kinda sounds like a weak rationalisation for a misstep in story writing...kinda like when people say "A wizard did it" about shows when someone questions a plothole. What you're saying is the only explanation I can think of, though. I just wish it had been fleshed out and explained rather than leaving it ambiguous. Sometimes an ambiguous ending to a film, book or series can be the perfect way to end things. Like the end of Shutter Island. That ending hit all the right emotions, and left you wondering, but at the same time gave you closure to the story and left you with a sense of hope for the protagonist. But other times it can just leave me with many annoying unresolved questions and mindfuckery. Like the end of Angel Beats and Eden Of The East. In the former the story is left unresolved SO CLOSE to closure, and in the latter the story is left unresolved SO FAR AWAY. But both were amazing series, and a ride all the way through.

You must know I'm only complaining about the lack of answers because the series was so good and I was able to relate myself to the characters. If these things weren't true I probably wouldn't have even mentioned it, and would probably have already forgotten about the series.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I just wish it had been fleshed out and explained rather than leaving it ambiguous.
Indeed.

And regarding Eden of the East. I finished the two seperate films and I'd say that they bring the story to the "next level", so to speak, and does provide some closure. I recommend you watching them if you enjoyed the original series.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Yeah I'll be sure to give those a go, although Jesse was saying they didn't provide much closure, so I'll have to watch them to find out for myself I guess.

Watching Black Lagoon at the moment with the Japanese subs, 4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. I love Dutch's manner, he's a great character.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm

It appears I have a lot of interesting anime to catch up on.
Welp, so much for productivity this year.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:... Watching Black Lagoon at the moment with the Japanese subs, 4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. I love Dutch's manner, he's a great character.
Oh yea, before I forget.

That show may or may not get kinda dark at times.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:40 am

Amen, Hallelujah, Peanut Butter.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:Oh yea, before I forget.

I've gotten to the end of season 1. I fucking love Revy and Rock's standoff in the tenth episode. That was a brilliant breaking point in the tension between their characters.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote:Oh yea, before I forget.

I've gotten to the end of season 1. I fucking love Revy and Rock's standoff in the tenth episode. That was a brilliant breaking point in the tension between their characters.
"Let's make out with our cigarettes!"
"OK!"
*FSSSSHTTTSSSSHHHH*

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05 am

Haha I liked how it was implied that they did something together but left it vague.