Anything else
Freshbite

Re: randomness

Post by Freshbite » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 pm

I just learnt it by practice.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm

PEMDAS/BEDMAS/BIDMAS are all just acronyms for the universal order of operations. It doesn't vary from region to region. It's a basic property of math.

Also, I think the results of that picture are a combination of poor eduction and stupid people. Why do I say both? Well for one thing, many of the people who were saying "dur hur anything times 0 is zero u moronz" were graduates from high schools or universities. You can't pass rudimentary algebra if you don't know order of operations. For the older folks, sure, I could understand it, but then many of those guys were young guys or even currently enrolled in college!

I got a headache from that photo. Then I cheered up when I realized that all those stupid people will need a boss at work ten years from now.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

underthedeep wrote: ...... jinx you owe me a beer.
I owe you NOTHING
Freshbite wrote:I just learnt it by practice.
Well aren't you smart. :P

I agree about standards of education. I hear over in Euroland the public schools are very good, but over here it is consistently the kids from public schools that have low attention spans, bad work habits, and poor math and writing skills. Have any of you guys ever heard of Waldorf schools? I went to one from first to eighth grade, and then moved, and enrolled in a different private school, where I go now. The Waldorf school, based on the way it was set up, mostly had students that had been there since Kindergarten, but this new one has people from all over. People at my old school were just in general better students. I mean it really was a great school. You learn drawing, music, history through stories, not textbooks (much more effective), and due to the small class sizes (25 per grade on average) and the fact that you keep one teacher from 1st to 8th, you really just get a more personal experience. Anyways, if any of you have kids, and a little bit of money (my parents are not at all wealthy, and the school does financial aid) send them to a Waldorf school. Amazing shit will happen.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah, education is pretty much shit in public schools. My best class for years has been this years AP Literature class. The teacher is amazing and actually a blast to attend to and I can now write a two page essay in under an hour, ready to turn in after just a semester with him. He just really does his job well and make sit enjoyable. My band director, who just started last year, is awesome too.
But Jack, will Waldorf produce a child who will follow in my footsteps and join the Marines to be a baddass? Or will he/she be too smart for that stupid ass shit and go to a university on a scholarship rather than military tuition assistance?
Anyways, that private school stuff sounds pretty beneficial. It also sounds like it'd be an ass-ton easier to graduate. I have to do all this extra bullshit ALONGSIDE the learning just to get out of here. I mean, since when was getting and focusing on your education entirely not enough? WTF?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:28 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:Well aren't you smart. :P
Well, I do have good technical memory, and memory of patterns. Which was also one of the things needed in order to solve the Rubik's cube. Memory of order was something that fell naturally. Image

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 am

Korban3 wrote: But Jack, will Waldorf produce a child who will follow in my footsteps and join the Marines to be a baddass? Or will he/she be too smart for that stupid ass shit and go to a university on a scholarship rather than military tuition assistance?
Anyways, that private school stuff sounds pretty beneficial. It also sounds like it'd be an ass-ton easier to graduate. I have to do all this extra bullshit ALONGSIDE the learning just to get out of here. I mean, since when was getting and focusing on your education entirely not enough? WTF?
Sure. Guy graduated two years before me was into bootcamp and that stuff. Also fixing cars and ballroom dancing.
Oh I'm sure. Another thing I noticed is at my school everyone is always struggling with what they claim is a lot of homework, while I'm here sitting pretty with my 4.0 thinking it's no big deal. It's less homework than 8th grade. Not that I go to an easy school, they just put less emphasis on homework. More on in-class discussion.
Freshbite wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote:Well aren't you smart. :P
Well, I do have good technical memory, and memory of patterns. Which was also one of the things needed in order to solve the Rubik's cube. Memory of order was something that fell naturally. Image
WELL AREN'T YOU SMART

Rubik's cubes. Ah. I'm what people consider "good at math," as I'm part of a select group of two 9th graders that takes math with the 11th graders. The others that people consider "good at math" are also pro chess players, and can knock out a Rubik's cube in like 10 minutes. Meanwhile I'm good at the same things as them, but I always lose at chess, and have never solved a Rubik's cube. My main things are that I play violin, compose classical music and write fiction, but somehow I'm sort of good at math, even though I don't seem to have the same skillsets as the other math nerds (they're almost all programmers too).

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:31 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:
Korban3 wrote: But Jack, will Waldorf produce a child who will follow in my footsteps and join the Marines to be a baddass? Or will he/she be too smart for that stupid ass shit and go to a university on a scholarship rather than military tuition assistance?
Sure. Guy graduated two years before me was into bootcamp and that stuff. Also fixing cars and ballroom dancing.
Oh I'm sure. Another thing I noticed is at my school everyone is always struggling with what they claim is a lot of homework, while I'm here sitting pretty with my 4.0 thinking it's no big deal. It's less homework than 8th grade. Not that I go to an easy school, they just put less emphasis on homework. More on in-class discussion.
At my school, we have 12 - 15 hours of homework every night. Don't ask me how. Other people seem to have less than me, but they study for 20 - 25 hours more on tests than me, and I am one of around 6 people with a 4.0. My school puts a good amount of emphasis on in class discussion, and an entire shitload of emphasis on homework. Almost completely pointless homework.
Jacktheawesome wrote: Rubik's cubes. Ah. I'm what people consider "good at math," as I'm part of a select group of two 9th graders that takes math with the 11th graders. The others that people consider "good at math" are also pro chess players, and can knock out a Rubik's cube in like 10 minutes. Meanwhile I'm good at the same things as them, but I always lose at chess, and have never solved a Rubik's cube. My main things are that I play violin, compose classical music and write fiction, but somehow I'm sort of good at math, even though I don't seem to have the same skillsets as the other math nerds (they're almost all programmers too).
:shock: We're like the same person! I too am one of few in 11th grade math (I assume you mean precal, some schools have worse standards) in 9th grade, I always lose at chess, and have never solved a Rubik's cube. I used to play violin, and I'm not a programmer either!

We should have children.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:49 am

adwuga wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote:
At my school, we have 12 - 15 hours of homework every night. Don't ask me how. Other people seem to have less than me, but they study for 20 - 25 hours more on tests than me, and I am one of around 6 people with a 4.0. My school puts a good amount of emphasis on in class discussion, and an entire shitload of emphasis on homework. Almost completely pointless homework.
0.0 Yeah I get aboot 2. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I never study for tests all that much really. I get 100's though. Are you based in Euroland?
Jacktheawesome wrote: Rubik's cubes. Ah. I'm what people consider "good at math," as I'm part of a select group of two 9th graders that takes math with the 11th graders. The others that people consider "good at math" are also pro chess players, and can knock out a Rubik's cube in like 10 minutes. Meanwhile I'm good at the same things as them, but I always lose at chess, and have never solved a Rubik's cube. My main things are that I play violin, compose classical music and write fiction, but somehow I'm sort of good at math, even though I don't seem to have the same skillsets as the other math nerds (they're almost all programmers too).
:shock: We're like the same person! I too am one of few in 11th grade math (I assume you mean precal, some schools have worse standards) in 9th grade, I always lose at chess, and have never solved a Rubik's cube. I used to play violin, and I'm not a programmer either!

We should have children.
Ah. I should have clarified. I take Algebra 2/Trigonometry with the advanced 10th graders and normal 11th graders. About half of any grade will be advanced, so half of my grade is in Geometry, and half in Algebra 1. I got to skip Geometry, because it was piss easy. Precal is next year for me.

Oh but don't you remember Adwuga? We already did.
Petiegusta.jpeg
Petiegusta.jpeg (15.59 KiB) Viewed 5726 times

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Jacktheawesome wrote: Are you based in Euroland?
nope, America.
Jacktheawesome wrote:
adwuga wrote:

We should have children.
Ah. I should have clarified. I take Algebra 2/Trigonometry with the advanced 10th graders and normal 11th graders. About half of any grade will be advanced, so half of my grade is in Geometry, and half in Algebra 1. I got to skip Geometry, because it was piss easy. Precal is next year for me.

Oh but don't you remember Adwuga? We already did.
Petiegusta.jpeg
Yeah, but Petie died yesterday. :cry:
I hate to be the one to tell you. He died like a hero, shoving his penis right through those decepticons, right up until one of them noticed him and swatted. He killed 6 of them. We should be proud.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

I had a 2.7 in high school and a 2.7 in college.

Fuck you all and your perfect GPA's

HOWEVER, I have an engineering degree and a job so I've pretty much already "made it out" so to speak

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Now you're just showing off...

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm

adwuga wrote: Yeah, but Petie died yesterday. :cry:
I hate to be the one to tell you. He died like a hero, shoving his penis right through those decepticons, right up until one of them noticed him and swatted. He killed 6 of them. We should be proud.
Petiegustadead.jpeg
Petiegustadead.jpeg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
He lived a proud, and sexually ambiguous life.
Assaultman67 wrote:I had a 2.7 in high school and a 2.7 in college.

Fuck you all and your perfect GPA's

HOWEVER, I have an engineering degree and a job so I've pretty much already "made it out" so to speak
Yeah...but that was your GPA at graduation, I'm assuming. I've been through one semester of 9th grade. I expect it to drop a bit :)

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I found a picture online that someone took with their cellular telephone! It shows Petie killing a decepticon!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 pm

He was so brave :cry:

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:55 pm

He and his gigantic aluminum penis-bat will be missed greatly.