randomness

Anything else

Endoperez

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:02 am

Why do you think it's right to censor and fire people you don't like?

I listened to about half of those.

Edit: never mind this is not the thread for this.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Ignoring the subject of GamerGate further, I had a random thought:

While I was playing Rainbow Six 3 (Get Gold now, it works perfectly with all resolutions and comes with Raven Shield and Athena Sword), and enjoying the amazing AI (It does everything right, I'll talk about it later), I thought about a form of dungeon master used in games. The idea being it would be the "Gods" who would look down on you and either favor you or hate you. With multiple personalities and generally the idea being it would create an interesting experience.

The idea would work like this, as an example:

The "Gods" would influence various events, while the GM (The gods of the gods) randomizes the world, spawns items and influences the gods to do certain things. Like influencing actions of other NPCs, spawning random items in the street as a reward, and things of the like.

So you'd have the GM which starts the game off and influences the gameplay side of things, and the Gods which would fiddle with the NPCs to also make the game more enjoyable.

Edit: Also, Raven Shield's AI:

It's good. Really good. The AI will peak around corners or people to provide cover, they'll cover each other when climbing ladders, and the guy in the back will check behind himself to see if anyone is running up on the team. They are capable of making quick shots that an operative in the field would have to make, and they don't need babysitting in the planning phase..

You don't need to make plans that the AI will follow religiously, they do their own thing on their own. Without your intervention a lot of the time.
This was my BIGGEST gripe with Door Kickers.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Isn't Door Kickers all about the planning phase while Rainbow Six (at the point in time that 3 came out) was becoming more fluid and less about planning?

Also, check out Raven Shield 2.0 - http://www.moddb.com/mods/raven-shield-two-point-zero
The mod is pretty good and I've been enjoying it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:39 am

The new Fable game is asynchronous multiplayer of four adventurers against one dungeon master who controls traps abd spawns monsters.

There's also that new Molyneux god game thing. Meh.

Old Neverwinter Nights was supposed to work with GM made maps too, but the design relied too much on getting stuff from trad. rpgs so I don't think that worked well.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:05 am

Grayswandir wrote:Isn't Door Kickers all about the planning phase while Rainbow Six (at the point in time that 3 came out) was becoming more fluid and less about planning?

Also, check out Raven Shield 2.0 - http://www.moddb.com/mods/raven-shield-two-point-zero
The mod is pretty good and I've been enjoying it.
Pretty much, Door Kickers was all about the planning while 3 had an action phase and the later Rainbow Six games (Lockdown probably included, if the AI wasn't a turn off already) had neither.

Door Kickers suffered from it's own line of problems:

- No AI to speak of, the troopers follow your orders religiously and don't think for themselves at all. Trying to get them to move as a team is a mess. Enemies with some degree of cover in a doorway will be basically immune to gunfire because of it.

- The order system is all too precise. While in RS3 you can place orders in a somewhat generic fashion and the AI will follow them, they make it work while checking corners themselves. In DK you need to babysit the troopers with orders all the time.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Kind of forgot about it at the time, but speaking of Christmas, what did you all do for the holidays and what shiny new gifts did you get?

My immediate family doesn't celebrate it, but from friends I got mostly gift cards, some nice baked goods (the kind of baked goods that make you baked, too), a giant gummy bear, a large pack of homemade smoked jerky, five small bottles of homemade Skittles vodka (surprisingly good stuff), a GoT sweatshirt, and a gym tank.

I didn't travel anywhere but was fine with that since all my friends were back home from college and we got to get together, hit the movies, hit the booze, etc.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm taking a break at my parents' place in the countryside. It's about -20 degrees Celsius, so I've mostly stayed indoors. I've done various chores: baking, warming the house, mending a jacket... I'll try some woodcarving pretty soon.

Most of my time has been spent reading. I got a Kindle and read a few thousand pages' worth of books.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Woodcarving sounds fun. My only creative hobby lately has been writing (I guess programming, too, but that's more business related)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:43 pm

I haven't really done any woodcarving ever, but since we have the chisels and the raw materials I thought it might be interesting to try it out. If nothing else, I'd have a feel for what sort of things are easy to do, when I need to fake it on a game prop.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:22 am

Merry new hannuchristyear every person

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:00 am

FIRST POST 2015
GIT REKT SKRUBZ

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:15 am

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

In your link, someone is saying:

Even if Gamergate wasn't a thing, we wouldn't want possibly hundreds of fans of TB going into that stream and making it an unsafe place for those people. By fans of TB my friend was called Hystrionic, we were called "Crazy," "Lacking Sanity," and "Mentally Ill." One of TB's fans made jokes about sexual assault at us, another posted a GIF of an animal masturbating at us
You say his story is horribly retarded (what was that about mental illness being used as a slur?), an asshole who talks about politics in a charity...

Didn't you just prove his point? That is what moderators would need to moderate in a charity stream.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:29 am

They banned people on the premise of them being from GamerGate, even if they would donate to the charity anyways. Got angry because TB advertised the charity to his followers, and proposed the mass unsubscribing of him just to prove a point.

Yes, that's putting politics before charitable efforts. Especially since you assume all GamerGaters are monsters, and will make everyone feel "Unsafe". Like people are children and you're they're parents.

I probably shouldn't call him retarded. I know retarded people smarter then him, way smarter. Who are way less sensitive to any issue.

His point was that TotalBiscuit allows for harassment ("Muh Feelz" indeed), and that gamergaters would hurt the stream. I'm sure untold BILLIONS were hurt by this message.
Either the guy is a fucking sensitive shit who deserves all he got, and to have it repeated.
Or, he's a petty SJW shit.
Or both.
I assume both.