randomness

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Glabbit wrote:
Sehiro wrote:Worth checking out even if it's quite old, unless you are easily impressionable.
There is a video explaining everything.

"Physiatrist and engineer Todd Kuiken is building a prosthetic arm that connects with the human nervous system — improving motion, control and even feeling. Onstage, patient Amanda Kitts helps demonstrate this next-gen robotic arm." - July 2011

https://www.ted.com/talks/todd_kuiken_a ... that_feels
This is it.
This is how Star Wars begins.
While that is cool, I also want to point out this other TED talk about prosthetics. It's been a while since I realized that the world I live in is actually straight out of scifi.

https://www.ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the ... _and_dance

"A human being can never be broken"

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:04 pm

If I had the dosh, I'd replace a limb with a bionic one. Given that they work at least as well s my old one and there aren't dozens of normal amputees ahead of me.
Being a cyborg would be cool.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:guys ...

I am out trying to get laid ...

YOLO 420 smoke it.
I was quite intoxicated when I typed this at a bar surrounded by cute girls. Needless to say I was very unsuccessful because I discovered the bar had wifi.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Korban3 wrote:If I had the dosh, I'd replace a limb with a bionic one. Given that they work at least as well s my old one and there aren't dozens of normal amputees ahead of me.
Being a cyborg would be cool.
I'm saving money for a cyborg replacement in the event I get tortured by some psycho who is probably less insane then I am.

Being a cyborg would be kewl.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:59 am

Endoperez wrote:While that is cool, I also want to point out this other TED talk about prosthetics. It's been a while since I realized that the world I live in is actually straight out of scifi.

https://www.ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the ... _and_dance

"A human being can never be broken"
Very powerful message.

I got a bit scared about "enhancing human natural capabilities" though. I don't know how to feel about it.
I mean, a person with a with no injures should really be "improved" for daily life?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Sehiro wrote:I got a bit scared about "enhancing human natural capabilities" though. I don't know how to feel about it.
I mean, a person with a with no injures should really be "improved" for daily life?
Well, once natural selection has been completely removed as a factor, is overcompensation of abilities not a natural response?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 am

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:36 am

Glabbit wrote:
Sehiro wrote:I got a bit scared about "enhancing human natural capabilities" though. I don't know how to feel about it.
Well, once natural selection has been completely removed as a factor, is overcompensation of abilities not a natural response?
Well... I don't know... I mean those things can be easily seen as weapons and will be property of only a selected group of people. I doubt humans can reach an utopian society in which those exoskeletons would not be taken advantage of.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:36 am

Sehiro wrote:
Glabbit wrote:
Well... I don't know... I mean those things can be easily seen as weapons and will be property of only a selected group of people. I doubt humans can reach an utopian society in which those exoskeletons would not be taken advantage of.
Isn't this the case with most tools?
They can be used in a "good" manner and in an "evil" one. A hammer can be used to punch nails into a wall or to crack someone's skull. A knife can be used to cut a wire or the jerk from next door. A gun can be used for hunting or for shooting a person.
It's not the tools that are the problem. It's us.

I think transhumanism is an incredibly interesting concept. We could become so much more powerful. Sure, an exoskeleton could be used as a weapon (nice example in the film Edge of Tomorrow). But on the other hand it could help to make quadriplegic people walk again. It could enable people to do things that would be impossible without the support of technology. Personally, I think the potential behind these things outweighs their danger in the long run.

Ans as far as the availability concern goes, that's entirely the responsibility of the people developing these things. If they push for a monopoly and use policies that make it impossible for people who could use these products to get them that's their right, as long as they stay within their legal limits (something that companies like Monsanto really stretch to the limit, sadly). But especially with something as useful as prosthetics, I doubt something like this would be possible for very long, without getting pressure from all sorts of organisations and governments.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Whoo, Subspace beams!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:21 am

Paradox weekend on Steam. I'm going through their list of turn-based strategy games and drooling. This trailer was the funniest one I've seen since cool boats.

Oh man, I just realized the cool boats trailer was ALSO made by Paradox. Wow, those guys have some cool guys working on their trailers.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Speaking of Steam, me and my random internet friend had an idea to buy five random indie games and gift them to random people, as support for the obscure indie developers.

We decided to call it a "ShutUpandTakeMyMoneyathon".

I totaled up the price for the first batch of games though (GWBW, Project Zomboid, Arcane Worlds and Rebuild 3. Originally Spintires was there too) and it came up to around $50 of disposable income which I didn't have.

I kinda want to find a way to make this work...

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:17 pm

Try getting a job

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Don't do it.
Jobs sucks.
You should sell your body on the street corner. It'd be more fun anyways.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Try getting a job
If it was that easy I'd have done it already.