randomness

Anything else
Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: randomness

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:57 pm

The fact it's making into the workplace, is.
Seriously, having a quote for "X amount of minorities. Or else" is a good thing?
Think about that for a second.
We need the workplace to be efficient, not diverse.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:59 pm

On one hand, I'm all for diversity, on the other, the cynic in me sees this as just public relations stunt to make them look better. From what I got from the article though they're just stating they're going to try to hire more female and minority employees by seeking them out through college events and such.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:28 pm

To be honest I think that diversity < ability. If you have 10 white professionals, you should hire them.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:17 am

Grayswandir wrote:On one hand, I'm all for diversity, on the other, the cynic in me sees this as just public relations stunt to make them look better. From what I got from the article though they're just stating they're going to try to hire more female and minority employees by seeking them out through college events and such.

Yeah, you're not the only one to notice that. If it was outcof their good heart, why didn't they help earlier? It's been a rarity to have female speakers in a tech or a game conference for a long time.. I guess something like a 50 % chance to have at least one female speaker in a conference.

Not that having money to fix this is bad, of course.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Endoperez wrote: http://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/5 ... 83937?s=09

Dunno if this helps, and I'm afraid I'll have to ignore further discussion on that because I can't offer any help. :(
I don't want to be depressed anymore. Just because she said something about it.

I mentioned this post for a reason though.
Brianna Wu organized the DDos-ing of 8Chan.
Still support her?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:47 pm

From what I've seen, the vast majority of people experience depression in their early twenties. It's so fucking common from what I've seen. Some get it worse, myself included. But almost everyone I've met had the same experience.

The trick is to not kill yourself long enough to make it through, I guess.

Anyways, some tweet isn't going to cure depression :lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:33 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: Brianna Wu organized the DDos-ing of 8Chan.
Still support her?

This guy said Brianna Wu organized a ddos, which would be a crime.
https://archive.today/T6Yh8

The owner of 8chan says he's wrong.
https://archive.today/SQw4w

Sigh...
I first removed some spam (10 minutes ago exactly), then read this thread, then found facts, replied. 10 minutes! Ten! Pls.
Is this slander? Claiming someone organized a crime?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:42 am

Korban3 wrote: Anyways, some tweet isn't going to cure depression :lol:
Of course not! But all I could offer are words, and I don't know the subject. Better to offer the words of someone who knows what she's talking about.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:46 am

Has anyone got depressed from school itself like me?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:10 am

I had one pretty dark spring a while ago.

I had immense amounts of work, very demanding teachers on courses which I had chosen without having gone through the pre-requisite courses, and so on. Plus the school chooses the best students by disincentivizing the not-best students from continuing. By which I mean that the majority of first-years fail their courses, and most of my friends failed at least a few courses and had to retake them.

Plus I had just foolishly decided that I was spending too much time having fun, gaming etc. and thought that was why I was failing courses. It turned out dropping out all the fun and only focusing on the schoolwork is a REALLY bad idea, because without me taking breaks, I was overwhelmed and in the end I was too tired to do anything... when the exams came around. And I failed all my exams, so I failed all my courses that spring.

It wasn't a happy time, but I still met some great people, teachers included, and learned lots. Just... didn't get any grades.

School should be only a part of your life. Even if school is getting you down, there should be enough other stuff in your life to keep you going through it as well. If there isn't, the problem might not be school on its own...

One thing that cheered me up was, paradoxically, reading dark and depressing stories. I don't know if it works for other people though! :D

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: Brianna Wu organized the DDos-ing of 8Chan.
Still support her?

This guy said Brianna Wu organized a ddos, which would be a crime.
https://archive.today/T6Yh8

The owner of 8chan says he's wrong.
https://archive.today/SQw4w
He didn't say he's wrong, he said he can't confirm anything for sure. Saying Brianna organized the DDoS-ing isn't slander, it's an assumption. Just like the family of a murder victim thinking it was the Butler isn't slander.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:15 pm

I see that the concept of innocent until proven guilty still hasn't become clear to you.

Besides, he said that it supposedly has been confirmed that she did it. That's a lie and therefore obviously slander. There's absolutely no discussion about it. If you imply that someone has done something illegal or objectionable without any prove for it, that's slander.
The family of the murder victim can think that the butler did it, but if they publicly announce that he did it without any proof that he did it, that's slander.
Last edited by EPR89 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:25 pm

Then the concept of innocent until proven guilty is lost to the families of murder victims who claim it was the Butler.

And even so, there hasn't been any confirmation it was a lie (Until later on where he admitted he did lie to teach GamerGate a lesson about taking everything as a fact, which I totally agree with when I look back on it). Even the owner of 8Chan has no clue whether it's true or not. He said he can't find out for sure.
Not that it matters since, as I said earlier, he lied.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Then the concept of innocent until proven guilty is lost to the families of murder victims who claim it was the Butler.
See the edit I wrote to my post above. They can think whatever they want. As soon as they write or say that he did it without having any proof it becomes libel/slander.
Absolutely no discussion. Trying to hurt someone's reputation without something to back it up is illegal and one of the lowest moves possible in such a situation.
And even so, there hasn't been any confirmation it was a lie
There doesn't have to be a confirmation that it was a lie. What sort of ass-backwards thinking is that?
Before anyone can claim something like that there needs to be a confirmation that it is actually true. If no one knows whether she id it or not, then those people need to shut their mouths until the know some details. The thing about slander and libel is that the damage is done the moment those claims are made. Even if it turns out that she had nothing to do with it, some people who follow those twitter claims will treat the whole thing like a witch hunt. That's simply not right.
Not that it matters since, as I said earlier, he lied.
Where did you say he lied? This was your post I saw on this topic. No mention of any lie. You flat out said that she organised it. If you said earlier that he lied, why do you use it as if it was a fact in that post?

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 pm

I meant earlier in the same post.
My bad, probably should have been more clear with that.
EPR89 wrote:
See the edit I wrote to my post above. They can think whatever they want. As soon as they write or say that he did it without having any proof it becomes libel/slander.
Absolutely no discussion. Trying to hurt someone's reputation without something to back it up is illegal and one of the lowest moves possible in such a situation.
People who have survived murders have indicted other people despite evidence to contrary.
There doesn't have to be a confirmation that it was a lie. What sort of ass-backwards thinking is that?
Before anyone can claim something like that there needs to be a confirmation that it is actually true.
Which is what I said in my weird pants-on-head-without-arms retarded way.
Since there is no proof whether the claim was false, no one is in the position to say anything. Especially given Brianna's supposed track record on the issue (Proof needed). And GamerGate's tendency to jump the gun on EVERYTHING.